Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 02:35 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:37 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The incidents of voter fraud are few and far between. Only citizens should be allowed to vote.
"The incidents of voter fraud are few and far between"

But, when the libs want something they holler. "If it save just 1 child (or fill in your favorite) it is worth it."

So, I will, holler the lib line, if it prevents just 1 fraudulent vote, it is worth it.

It's like insurance. Whether it is life, auto, home or health care. It is IN CASE something bad happens to you. It is better to try to PREVENT bad things from happening. NOT AFTER they happen.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Poll Taxes are illegal by the US Constitution. As soon as you have effort you have a possible poll tax. The courts may draw some line above zero but there will be a level that constitutes a poll tax. The existing USSC is unlikely to take an expansive view but it is quite possible a later court will differ. One could logically claim that all of the costs required to obtain the documents for an ID card are a poll tax and another court might well agree.

Note this could all be avoided by the state agreeing to pay any costs to obtain required documents and perhaps providing skilled assistance to those who need it. Again not a popular concept with Republicans.
To be fair I am all for free of charge state issued i.d. so that no one can ever again claim that it is too burdensome to obtain. But lazy people will find a way to do just that.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Mexican ID
So what you are saying is that we need a National ID like Mexico? I love how conservatives keep pointing to countries that have National IDs yet when that is suggested here they don't want to touch it like it is a hot potato.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why do you feel it is important to let people, who are not legal citizens, of this country vote in major elections?
I'm a liberal and I have long thought that ID should be required to vote.

Having said that, the state should also endeavor to ensure that any citizen who doesn't have an ID card...has one. And if someone can't afford one, it should be provided for free. This is where Texas is falling down on its voter ID law. Many people in this state are still unaware that an ID is now required to vote, and what the process is for voting without ID.

VoteTexas.gov » Need ID?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what you are saying is that we need a National ID like Mexico? I love how conservatives keep pointing to countries that have National IDs yet when that is suggested here they don't want to touch it like it is a hot potato.
Conservative here. I support national voter ID. I've seen you make the claim this before and seen other conservatives step forward and say they supported it too. So really, it's some conservatives do not support it to be accurate.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The new voter ID laws only can prevent voter masquerading -- not show who is qualified to vote. The ID shows who you are and not if you can legally vote. And voter masquerading is incredibly rare. In fact, one of the states with new voter ID laws could not show one prosecution for voter masquerading.

So the new laws are incredibly flawed if they are designed or intended to stop vote fraud. Only the naive could believe that it is their intent. Republican governors conspired to seek a way to lower the number of votes from constituencies not likely to vote Republican.

The new voter ID laws are not about non-citizens voting at all.The incidents of voter fraud are few and far between Or do you believe in the Tooth Fairy?
"The new voter ID laws are not about non-citizens voting at all" It is ONE of the reasons. Unless YOU believe in the tooth fairy.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Incorrect. Effort does NOT equate to a poll tax. SCOTUS already decided this in Crawford v Marion County Election Board. In fact, they specifically noted that a burden placed upon the voter does not outweigh the interest of the state to reducing fraud. As with almost everything else in the Constitution, reasonable burdens have been found to be Constitutional on everything from speech to the right to bear arms. Why would you presume voting would somehow be free of this same standard applied to other rights in the Constitution?
6 to 3 view. So 3 USSC judges believe it unconstitutional. Not a long reach to see that one go the other way. And one of the keys was that the state had a way to allow one to vote without spending any money on an ID. You could show up and sign an affidavit that it was too costly for you.

The court also noted that one of the likely drivers of this law was disenfranchising poor democrats. Said that was insufficient to override the states interest in protecting the process. Now that is a clause any really liberal court is going to override.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The incidents of voter fraud are few and far between"

But, when the libs want something they holler. "If it save just 1 child (or fill in your favorite) it is worth it."

So, I will, holler the lib line, if it prevents just 1 fraudulent vote, it is worth it.

It's like insurance. Whether it is life, auto, home or health care. It is IN CASE something bad happens to you. It is better to try to PREVENT bad things from happening. NOT AFTER they happen.
And you would do so at the cost of disenfranchising a few million US citizen voters?

Old 11-03-2014, 03:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Conservative here. I support national voter ID. I've seen you make the claim this before and seen other conservatives step forward and say they supported it too. So really, it's some conservatives do not support it to be accurate.
I know you support a National ID, I wasn't speaking in absolutes when I said conservatives keep pointing to countries with a National ID, but don't want one here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies