Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 09:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That doesn't answer my question. You said this is an article 1 section 8 issue issue. I asked you how. Again, how does article 1 section 8 apply to the constitutionality of laws passed by individual states?

This suit has nothing to do with Congressional powers (article 1 section 8) or the power of the federal government. The Constitution is clear that States cannot pass any law that denies its people due process or the equal protection of that law. The question here isn't one of Congressional overreach or the extent of federal control over the States - the question is does a State law denying gay people the protections of marriage law violate the Constitution.

Someone moved the goal post along the line???

I agree with you, It is a constitutional law. That wasn't the debate.
The debate is whether it was the federal governments business. I explained why it was not the feds business and you have now confirmed that by agreeing with each other.

It does not violate the US constitution, nor State Constitutions, as the federal government has no power to rule one way or the other, concerning marriage. That is left to the states, receptively

Old 11-07-2014, 10:02 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The 6th Circuit Court is highly respected and has the fewest decisions over-turned of any of the federal appellate courts.

Mircea
A Sixth Sense: 6th Circuit Has Surpassed the 9th as the Most Reversed Appeals Court

and

http://www.americanbar.org/content/d...thcheckdam.pdf

You were saying? The 7th circuit is also right leaning and usually comes in top 3 most years in terms of reversals. From 1998 to 2008 it was slightly behind the 9th as the most reversed court. You also have to remember that the 9th has by far the largest sized jurisdiction. If you take that into account then their reversal rates really aren't as dramatic.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 11-07-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 10:03 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Someone moved the goal post along the line???

I agree with you, It is a constitutional law. That wasn't the debate.
The debate is whether it was the federal governments business. I explained why it was not the feds business and you have now confirmed that by agreeing with each other.
If the federal government acknowledges rights for some, they must acknowledge rights for all. That circumvents state law, as is from the 14th amendment (which I disagree with and find highly offensive mind you).

I think gay marriage should be a state issue. I think marriage should be a state issue period, that the federal government shouldn't acknowledge anyones marriage with special rights and privilege. However, that isn't the world we live in. The federal government acknowledges marriage, its not defined in the constitution. What the Supreme court will have to decide is, does that acknowledgement mean that it is unconstitutional for states to pass their own definition of marriage. It appears, from the strike down of the DOMA, that they will rule against the states.

If the anti-gay marriage crowd wants their state to be able to make the decision, they need to push the federal government out of the marriage business all together. If not, its all rights are equal.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
We are not in SA.

Religious freedoms are a fundamental right in this country.

Not the advancement of deviant behavior.
Pointless argument, try again.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I think the 4 definite legalizing ssm votes weren't sure of getting Roberts or Kennedy, so had to settle for letting ssm become legal by lower court decisions.

The same could be said of the conservative block as well . They aren't sure they have enough votes to overturn an appeals court decision. Believe me if they were sure of the votes they would have heard the case.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I don't ride the bus.

All these minority groups are whining about their rights.

They have the same rights as everyone else.
Obviously they don't.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Meaningless.

Just like your opinions as well .

Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You gotta love that. Put human rights up to a popular vote! Go democracy! U! S! A! U! S! A!
Gay marriage is not a human right.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
No it doesn't.

I am not accepting deviant behavior.

It doesn't really matter if you do or you don't. Your acceptance of the subject has no bearing on whether or not it will happen.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 AM

805 posts, read 1,085,128 times
I love this quote: "If it is constitutionally irrational to stand by the man-woman definition of marriage, it must be constitutionally irrational to stand by the monogamous definition of marriage."

It's what I've been saying all along: if you're going to allow the gays to get married, then the polygamists must surely follow. If you claim that same-sex marriage is fine, then you have no rational ground on which to stand to deny anyone else from entering into the marriage of their choice. This is ridiculous and will only lead to societal confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies