Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 PM

169 posts, read 124,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Actually, leaded gas is better, it was banned because the lead was bad for peoples health and I get that, but the gasoline today is not much better for you, ever hear of benzene, google it.
Yes, and the analogy that urbanlife uses(leaded gasoline) is also not valid because there are no health issues associated with incandescent bulbs, whereas there are with CFL's.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well welcome to the present rule, if incandescent bulbs are so important to you, I suggest you stock up before they go the way of the dinosaur and you are forces to use more energy efficient and overall better light bulbs that have a much longer lifespan. #firstworldproblems
That doesn't answer the question. I am asking you to justify the rule, and tell me why you believe reducing choice and encroaching on liberty is a good thing.

Seriously, you couldn't sound more like a broken record if you tried.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Why would anyone want to buy and use an inferior product?
Many people don't consider them to be inferior.

The more relevant question is, even if you think that they are inferior, why should you be able to force me to not have ready access to them?

Why is it so important for you to reduce choice and inhibit liberty?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Now do the math and figure out how many LED bulbs you will need in that same amount of time at present day standards? Here is a hint, it will be a fraction of 300 bulbs.
Doesn't matter. I don't want that product. I want incandescent bulbs.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Well I guess you will just have to get use to better light quality. That has to really suck for the incandescent crowd.
So is your motive simply controlling what other people do?

Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
That doesn't answer the question. I am asking you to justify the rule, and tell me why you believe reducing choice and encroaching on liberty is a good thing.

Seriously, you couldn't sound more like a broken record if you tried.
I don't have to justify the rule, it doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. I like that it gets rid of lights that are wasteful energy bulbs. I don't really care that you think it somehow limits your choices of bulbs. You know you can always build your own crappy incandescent bulbs if they are so important to you. Or you could stock up now that you know they are not being manufactured so that you don't have to worry about it.

Quote:
Doesn't matter. I don't want that product. I want incandescent bulbs.
And I want a unicorn, we can't have everything we want. Why you would want an obsolete product that wastes your money is beyond me.

Quote:
So is your motive simply controlling what other people do?
Nah, I don't care if you want to build incandescent bulbs or wish to stock up and buy as many as you can. I just don't think we should be wasting money on manufacturing them. Maybe you can order your incandescent bulbs from China or something.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I just don't think we should be wasting money on manufacturing them.
Ah, this is the first time that you have hinted as to why you agree with the law.

First, it is debatable whether money is being wasted.

Second, why do you care if money is wasted manufacturing them? It isn't your money.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Ah, this is the first time that you have hinted as to why you agree with the law.

First, it is debatable whether money is being wasted.

Second, why do you care if money is wasted manufacturing them? It isn't your money.
Not really debateable, look at the lifespan of the two bulbs, figure the cost, and do the math. You are wasting money on incandescent bulbs, but who cares. As long as we no longer manufacture them, I don't really care where you get your incandescent bulbs from.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:41 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
You tell me, did it bother you when the government took away your leaded fuel?
No, I could care less, cars were made with hardened valves to accept unleaded fuel so it doesn't matter. Older car owners may suffer somewhat though, not sure what their alternatives are.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:17 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Life span comparison?
I've been in this house with all incandescents over 3 years and the only bulb I've had to change was one 50/100/150 watt one by my reading chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies