Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have done no such thing. Please point out the post where I have pointed out that cold weather could not be caused by climate change. Your graph is from 2005 to 2014. A short period of time. Mine shows a much longer trend, as you should when talking about climate change
In the past you guys claimed it was GLOBAL WARMING, not local climate. Now you want to claim it's local climate????

You claimed it was the climate, not the weather. Now you claim it is the weather????

Now you want to claim cold, hot, warm, wet, rainy, snowy, icy, windy, mild, benign and everything else in between are all proof of CAGW, global warming???

Your chart starts in the Little Ice Age to show warming, how quaint. Was warming out of the LIA abnormal? Were we supposed to remain in that LIA climate for all time?

Showing warming is a far cry from showing any proof what caused it. Simply claiming a coincidence with the use of fossil fuels and warming just this side of the LIA, is not proof of anything.

So why is there a "pause" in warming for 15-18 years, when CO2 has still increased? Is it because of catastrophic global cooling? Either the CAGW claim that CO2 is the main driver for warming, or it's not.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
In the past you guys claimed it was GLOBAL WARMING, not local climate. Nowyou want to claim it's local climate????

You claimed it was the climate, not the weather. Now you claim it is the weather, and cold, hot, warm, wet, rainy, snowy, icy, windy, mild, benign and everything else in between are all proof of CAGW, global warming.

You chart starts in the Little Ice Age to show warming, how quaint. Was warming out of the LIA was abnormal? Were we supposed to remain in that LIA climate for all time?

Showing warming is a far cry from showing any proof what caused it. Simply claiming a coincidence with the use of fossil fuels and warming just this side of the LIA, is not proof of anything.

So why is there a "pause" in warming for 15-18 years, when CO2 has still increased? Is it because of catastrophic global cooling? Either the CAGW claim that CO2 is the main driver for warming, or it's not.
Thats not what you said. You said I made fun of people saying that cold weather was not related to climate change/global warming, whatever you want to call it.

I have said no such thing.

And my chart is a much longer run, as it should be. The changes over time, long periods of time is called "macro environmental change"

Go and do some research and stop making false accusations about what people have said in the past

Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Climate change, as in our climate being in constant flux with an atmosphere of infinite complexity and infinite variables being subject to infinite chaos and unpredictability, that is not in question. Nobody denies that. Forget about the Sun (that ball of heat we have zero control over) and the Moon (that ball of rock that tugs and yanks on the Earth, again with us having no control over it), and recall that our planet is a ball of molten rock with a solid iron core surrounding by a crunchy candy shell only about 35 miles thick, that is spinning just over 1,100 miles per hour on a tilted and wobbly axis, in an eccentric/wobbly orbit around the Sun. So variability? Yeah, it's part of the system. Everyone agrees.

What is denied is a) that Industrial Age mankind is the singular driving force behind one variable among the infinite variables in the atmospheric equation and b) that the government of one particular country can use economic regulation and legislation as a terraforming mechanism.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:06 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
[SAID StUFF]

So who is "you guys" you mean almost all environmental and weather . . .hell just about anyone who believes that science based on data and fact? okay . . were "you guys"

In the past you guys claimed it was GLOBAL WARMING, not local climate. Now you want to claim it's local climate????
1 - it is global warming. global average temperature has been increasing significantly since the mid 1900's. This takes 0 skill to determine. you just have to look it up.

2- it is also known as climate change. Global includes . .everywhere. So everyone is impacted differently. Some countries could see weather changes/increased storms; some areas could see harsh winters; some could see increased overall heat; drought; etc. So Climate Change is the overall term, because Global Warming causes climate change.

You claimed it was the climate, not the weather. Now you claim it is the weather????
The climate is the entire system. It is the climate. Weather is unique and specific events. A change in climate must and will impact the weather. Did you go to fifth grade?

Now you want to claim cold, hot, warm, wet, rainy, snowy, icy, windy, mild, benign and everything else in between are all proof of CAGW, global warming???
-recent evidence suggests that areas like the United States could see harsher weather due to climate change. Europe too. Changes in temperature (such a warmer pacific) has caused this most recent cold spree in the US. I'm not saying that any SPECIFIC weather event is created by global warming or climate change. Though this EVENT right now in the United States is caused by a warm weather in pacific.

its a good way to illustrate how warm can make you cold

Your chart starts in the Little Ice Age to show warming, how quaint. Was warming out of the LIA abnormal? Were we supposed to remain in that LIA climate for all time?

Yeah, who knows what your talking about here.

this is true. What is why scientist have data and information that shows the likely causes and probability of correlation versus causation.

Not sure your source. Regardless, the issue is . . who knows. The climate is a large and complicated system.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Unfortunately, this weather is in-line with what they are predicting. Places like the united states can expect far worse winters as a result of climate warming

Cold winters have been caused by global warming: new research - Telegraph

So, uh, Wish Granted?
It's funny, someone from Chitown talking about far worse winters from climate warming. How bad can the winters in Chicago get. Back in the '80's it was -60 below with the wind chill factor

Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
When I was in school during that time, they taught us another ice age was coming because pollution was blocking out the sun and causing global cooling, I attended school in Europe, Asia, and the middle east during that time so maybe things were taught differently in the United States.
I was taught the same thing, and some were claiming our pollution was going to cause the next ice-age, and we needed to enact draconian legislation to save the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
Did we stop polluting and thereby cause global warming that is now creating the current unusually cold temperatures?

If there truly is an impact on the climate from pollution, the solution to the problem is not going to be found in the United states. Perhaps you need to send Al Gore to China and Barack Obama to Russia. I m certain their ideals would be well received there and that is where the only significant difference can be made.

Volcanoes pollute the atmosphere and impact the environment more than man does. Can you please send Mr. Gore and Mr. Obama into the active volcanoes and get them to stop?
In 1980, the scare mongers warned of catastrophic global warming, and we needed to enact draconian legislation to control CO2.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan Warned Nixon To Act On Global Warming, New Documents Show

There is widespread agreement that carbon dioxide content will rise 25 percent by 2000, Moynihan wrote in a September 1969 memo.

"This could increase the average temperature near the earth's surface by 7 degrees Fahrenheit," he wrote. "This in turn could raise the level of the sea by 10 feet. Goodbye New York. Goodbye Washington, for that matter."

Nothing has changed, except people are catching on to their outrageous scare mongering techniques. Well, the young are only hearing this tripe for the first time, and unfortunately, too many of them believe it, hook, line, and sinker.

Year after year, decade after decade, these scammers claim the same thing, we need big federal government to control industry, control CO2, to - SAVE THE PLANET. Every time, every single time, their predictions are WRONG, their computer models FAILED, but the faithful still cling to their belief in the scam.

So why do they cling so tightly? They love big, powerful, centralized federal governmental control.

They feel guilty and believe Western nations are essentially looting the planet, grabbing all the earth's resources.

They don't like free markets and capitalism and fossil fuels.

They dearly want to believe they are noble, enlightened people who are saving the planet.

CAGW meets all of these, so they cannot let it go.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It's funny, someone from Chitown talking about far worse winters from climate warming. How bad can the winters in Chicago get. Back in the '80's it was -60 below with the wind chill factor
Its not one day trends. I had days in Michigan with -40 blowing 30 or 40 MPH.

Its the trend, the LONG term trend. His link is accurate, how about talking about the data in his link instead of making a statement about one day in the past that you "remember"

My grandparents even said they remember weather being better in the past over what it is today

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I lived thru that. Feb 1982 ambient temp was -26 degrees, that's without the wind, and I had to work outside in that. I was just happy my car started that morning.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,644 times
Environmental support is gathered with emotional people who think Animals and people are all doing to die because industry is killing the planet.

In time of all science and ideas man has had I can assure you at this time in history the planet is fine.
Look at space, the destruction, stars wiping out planets, the gases, the explosions, the solar flares.
Is this space change when are we going to save the moon from getting hit with things and causing craters or stop the sun from producing heat. Oh that is right since we drive cars and populate the air and greenhouse gases clearly space is clean, not destructive and all plants in this entire universe are just environmental magic. In a few billions years the sun will destory earth even if we are on it or not. Humans will be dead and or on another planet or solar system by then. Why because the solar system at anytime can destroy earth in a blink of a eye.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I lived thru that. Feb 1982 ambient temp was -26 degrees, that's without the wind, and I had to work outside in that. I was just happy my car started that morning.
Thats why I ran an extension cord out to where I parked my work truck, and had a trickle charger I installed under the hood. Get home, plug it in. Then I used my remote start from the comfort of my living room to let the truck start and warm before leaving.

I used to work outdoors in Michigan in the winter. Last year I was there we had measurable snowfall every day from Mid October through early April. Every damned day.

Still, one year, one day, does not make a trend on macro environmental change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies