Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:39 PM

30,398 posts, read 23,870,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well thankfully a toddler didn't wander out of the house and distract the trigger happy heroes
Very good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sure a child could have come out, but since the life of a child is much greater than the life of a dog, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Would you purposely swerve your car into another parked car to avoid hitting a child?

Would you purposely swerve your car into another parked car to avoid hitting a squirrel?

That made me laugh.
You make no sense. They can control themselves when it's a child running around but are absolutely petrified of a small dog? Give it up people. There is no justification for this.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How do you justify an animal not under the control of its owner? I am not making excuses for the cops. I wasn't there. I don't even know their side of it. What is obvious in the video is that the dog was not under control.
Again, look at the video. That dog was not charging the officers. It was strolling along, and even had its back to them at one point. There is, and never will be, justification for shooting that dog no matter how many people insist that it was a danger to the officers. That's a load of garbage.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:47 PM

33,598 posts, read 18,245,269 times
trigger happy creep!! Dog did no harm!! We are getting militarized here in America.. my small community , one square mile has 40 military vehicles.. something is up and I don't like it!

Old 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,266,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, look at the video. That dog was not charging the officers. It was strolling along, and even had its back to them at one point. There is, and never will be, justification for shooting that dog no matter how many people insist that it was a danger to the officers. That's a load of garbage.
I never said it was a danger. I wasn't there. The video I watched looked like the dog ran at them barking and then started to retreat. What the video absolutely showed was a dog not under any kind of control.
Just about every dog attack you read about the owner claims the dog was a big baby, friends and acted like a puppy and they never expected it.
Like I said before, I am dog lover. I love my lab with all my heart, but she is always under control. Owning a dog is a responsibility. You owe it to your dog to protect them from themselves and other dangers. That begins and ends with strong discipline. Just like kids, a dog often doesn't understand threat from play. Worse still dogs react to instinct.
I dont justify the shooting. As I said I wasn't there, and don't know the other side of the argument. I do know that if the owner had his animal under control it would be alive today.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:52 PM

406 posts, read 283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post
Standard policy in both the U.S. Military and in U.S. Law Enforcement is to neutralize any and all dogs who are used in conjunction with a crime or hinder the completion of a mission. Often suppressed subsonic weapons are employed for such a use. The enemy, criminal or drug dealer made the unwise choice to use a dog. It was just a widdle dog huh? Yeah right, some of the most aggressive little bastards are of the small breeds. The only thing they know is to BITE anyone and anything that isn't their owner or master. That's a risk or a hazard that needs no further explanation.

~Pufft~

(Suppressed 9mm or .45 ACP usually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHWvOd58nxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-Ure4W8sE

Quote:
I love dogs with all my heart. I also believe that 99% of incidents of dogs having to be put down is the fault of an owner not controlling their animal.
Should police allow themselves to be bitten before shooting? I don't think so. Small dog bite or big one they suck.
I don't know what motivated the police to shoot other than they saw a dog run at them. My daughter was bitten by a 25 pound dog that charged her while we were walking on the side walk. It came out of no where and just bit her. Was it the dogs fault it had bad owners? No, but I demanded the dog be put down for it. I didn't want another child bitten.
Too many people treat their dogs like the animal is a person. I to am guilty of it at times, but my dogs are always under control outside. I wouldn't have let the dog out if a saw a bunch of cops in my front yard. The excuse the dog got out by accident? Bad owner, my dogs do as they are told because they understand it isn't an option.
We all know houses that if you go there you will be jumped on by the owners dog. Bad owners.
Pitiful attacks. Bad owners.
I'm not justifying the shoot, but I do blame the owner of the dog for what happened. If the animal was under control it never would have happened. Just like not all people should have children, not all people should have dogs. Far too many feel it is all right to impose their pets upon others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGzFaW_MdtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF2nM9wsBYs

Old 12-01-2014, 04:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,850,283 times
Quote:
How do you justify an animal not under the control of its owner? I am not making excuses for the cops. I wasn't there. I don't even know their side of it. What is obvious in the video is that the dog was not under control.
No requirement here for a dog on its own property. My last dog came and went as he saw fit. The present one is not well behaved so he does not. But the last one wandered freely around our property and that violated no law. In fact here the requirement is that the dog be under control...not leashed. So as long as the dog responds correctly to commands he is free to walk unleashed here.

I would also note they shot the dog as he was attempting to quickly get out of there. I am sure all of the woulds were from the rear.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:57 PM

406 posts, read 283,997 times
Quote:
I never said it was a danger. I wasn't there. The video I watched looked like the dog ran at them barking and then started to retreat. What the video absolutely showed was a dog not under any kind of control.
Just about every dog attack you read about the owner claims the dog was a big baby, friends and acted like a puppy and they never expected it.
Like I said before, I am dog lover. I love my lab with all my heart, but she is always under control. Owning a dog is a responsibility. You owe it to your dog to protect them from themselves and other dangers. That begins and ends with strong discipline. Just like kids, a dog often doesn't understand threat from play. Worse still dogs react to instinct.
I dont justify the shooting. As I said I wasn't there, and don't know the other side of the argument. I do know that if the owner had his animal under control it would be alive today.
The first thing I would do is lock my pet in the bathroom or put him or her in their cage and lock the door. Letting them roam free whilst SWAT is outside ain't very bright.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM

31,297 posts, read 20,803,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
SWAT were in negotiations with a man who had threatened his neighbors with a machete and a crossbow. He opened the door and let his little dog out. The dog trots and the yard and gets shot and killed by SWAT as he was a 'distraction'.

Wisconsin police deploy armored vehicle over dog poop dispute, SWAT team executes dog
This is why so many people distrust and even hate cops. The problem starts with their budget and bloated staff. We should cut their budget by 50% and disband 90% of the SWATs.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 PM

31,297 posts, read 20,803,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, man threatening neighbors with deadly weapons who let his dog out of the house killed his own little dog.
That is a totally pathetic post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies