Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 03:54 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You got it backwards.

You claimed falling gasoline and oil prices are Deflation. They are not, and I corrected you here in an attempt to spare you further embarrassment....

And you still don't get it.

There was Monetary Deflation during the Great Depression.

According you, Monetary Inflation would have been better.

Yeah, right....whatever....

Mircea
Actually I made no such claim at all about gasoline and oil prices, you are confusing me with another poster. What I did respond to you is your statement that falling prices are not deflation. There was no discussion on my part about oil or gasoline, which are specific falling prices, not general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So we should entertain ideas about Flat Earth?
Putting words into peoples mouths, or misrepresenting them is not discussion. as usual its your common tactic here.

What I am saying is that if someone argues flat earth you beat them up with facts, not that you think they are stupid.

One makes them look wrong, the other makes you look ignorant. Ignorant people attack other people and not the facts of the matter. People who believe in things they know are wrong, argue about the person, people who know they are right explain how.

In your posts its the difference between posts I respect, and posts I dont. I've seen you write fact filled posts, and enjoy them. I miss those.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:25 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,194 times
Default Back to topic!

The Bottom line is both parties have grown Gov. from LBJ to today. The Problem with that is the Feds keep on adding new Departments and I have posted on this subject before. All we have to do is start evaluating the need for each Agency or Department.

Cut these unneeded Agencies and have a real balance budget. That is the trick.

Right Size the Gov.

If you are in doubt just type in "How many Gov . Agencies are there?" Then you will see. Even Wikipedia can not get a solid number and never mind the Feds.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Bottom line is both parties have grown Gov. from LBJ to today. The Problem with that is the Feds keep on adding new Departments and I have posted on this subject before. All we have to do is start evaluating the need for each Agency or Department.

Cut these unneeded Agencies and have a real balance budget. That is the trick.

Right Size the Gov.

If you are in doubt just type in "How many Gov . Agencies are there?" Then you will see. Even Wikipedia can not get a solid number and never mind the Feds.
correct......

for example...the federal department of education......why does it need 7000 employees?

1. schools are state run..they have state dept of ed's
a. while we ''may'' need the feds to set a standard..... lets say 100 academics to set standards for nation wide
b. so total needed 100

2. yes , part of the federal dept of ed is.....pell grants......
a. ok maybe 10 people per state to process pell requests
b. so total needed 500

3. that totals out to a ''needed'' 600 personnel ....not the 7000 on the books that we currently have

no-one is saying you cant have departments...only let's be smart about how we fund and man them....especially TO THE MISSION of said department

Old 12-04-2014, 08:02 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
[face palm]
You do realize that the executive branch executes the laws enacted by the Congress...
Pursuant to the USCON, Congress can only make laws to "coin money" or "borrow money."
Congress cannot make laws to "create money."
Nor give such a power to anyone else.
Any Federal bill or program demanding money beyond Federal taxes received is funded through deficit spending. So in essence Congress creates money by telling the Treasury to print up some new debt.

The Treasury, without involvement of Congress, can stamp platinum proof coins of any denomination up to infinity. And this is real money, and valued at whatever is stamped on its obverse.

Through our laws and Congress we now have our Fed. And of course the Fed can create new money.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually I made no such claim at all about gasoline and oil prices, you are confusing me with another poster. What I did respond to you is your statement that falling prices are not deflation. There was no discussion on my part about oil or gasoline, which are specific falling prices, not general
Of course falling energy prices tend to be deflationary. Soon we might be seeing some of the opposite of the '70's cost-push inflation due to Arab oil shenanigans.

Oil Prices vs the CPI - Historical Chart | MacroTrends

Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Any Federal bill or program demanding money beyond Federal taxes received is funded through deficit spending. So in essence Congress creates money by telling the Treasury to print up some new debt.

The Treasury, without involvement of Congress, can stamp platinum proof coins of any denomination up to infinity. And this is real money, and valued at whatever is stamped on its obverse.

Through our laws and Congress we now have our Fed. And of course the Fed can create new money.
You may believe that, but I can categorically state that you will find no law nor court decision that supports your beliefs.

I do not discount the widespread myths Americans have been fed by the world's greatest propaganda ministry.

Please do not believe me - go read law for yourself... Take a trip to your local county courthouse law library and READ LAW. Do something that even Congress won't do... read the law. The more eyes on the law, the better.

If I told you what you will find in the law, you wouldn't believe me. Shucks, if I went back in time to 1990, and told myself, I wouldn't believe me, either. But if you do go to the courthouse, remember to wear knee pads and "Depends"... you may fall to your knees, weeping, or pee yourself.

.. . .. . .. .

Old 12-05-2014, 11:46 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Republicans are responsible for our debt growth.

(Dem) J. Carter had trivial deficits.

(Rep) R. Reagan created huge deficits/debt growth with supply side tax cuts (tax cuts for corporations and the rich.) Reagan tripled the national debt.
Reaganomics [ushistory.org]

(Dem) B. Clinton reversed Reagan tax policies and balanced the budget, and we had no debt growth.

(Rep) GW Bush lowered rich peoples tax rates and created huge deficits and debt growth.
Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

(Dem) B. Obama has cut GW Bush's deficits and debt growth rate in 1/2.

The following is the US debt history by president.
http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

Just Thank God Romney did not get elected he was going to add $6.6 trillion dollars to our national debt with this supply side tax cut.
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Old 12-06-2014, 12:22 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Republicans are responsible for our debt growth.

(Dem) J. Carter had trivial deficits.

(Rep) R. Reagan created huge deficits/debt growth with supply side tax cuts (tax cuts for corporations and the rich.) Reagan tripled the national debt.
Reaganomics [ushistory.org]

(Dem) B. Clinton reversed Reagan tax policies and balanced the budget, and we had no debt growth.

(Rep) GW Bush lowered rich peoples tax rates and created huge deficits and debt growth.
Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

(Dem) B. Obama has cut GW Bush's deficits and debt growth rate in 1/2.

The following is the US debt history by president.

Just Thank God Romney did not get elected he was going to add $6.6 trillion dollars to our national debt with this supply side tax cut.
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress
uhm...your partisan blinders are showing

yes the debt tripled under Reagan/bush1

the debt nearly doubled under clintin from 3.1 trillion to 5.87 trillion
Quote:
Clinton/newt never had any surpluses.....they had PROJECTED surpluses...but the country SPENT the surpluses...if you project a surplus, then spend more than that surplus... you have a deficit

budgets are best guesses...projections

ie you can say we EXPECT/PROJECT the revenue to be 2 trillion and EXPECT the spending to be 3 trillion...a 1 trillion PROJECTED deficit

or you can say we EXPECT/PROJECT the revenue to be 2 trillion and EXPECT the spending to be 2 trillion...a PROJECTED balanced budget

ie you can say we EXPECT/PROJECT the revenue to be 2.1 trillion and EXPECT the spending to be 1.9 trillion...a 200 billion PROJECTED surplus

and the end of the year all the pluses and minuses are counted.... you can have

ie you can say we EXPECT/PROJECT the revenue to be 2 trillion and the spending to be 3 trillion...a 1 trillion PROJECTED deficit...but revenue rose to 2.2 trillion and we only spent 2.8 trillion...still a deficit but instead of a 1 trillion deficit, now its a 600 billion deficit

you can project a surplus..and have emergencies show up (ie the Mississippi valley flooding...911... etc) and completely blow the surplus to where it becomes a deficit

also remember for a PROJECTED BUDGET DEFICIT/SURPLUS you need an actual PASSED BUDGET

the simple FACT is the we have had trillion dollar DEFICITS each year for the last 6 years minus 1..fy13

Clinton never had a surplus

there never was a surplus

there was a PROJECTED BUDGET surplus

but there never was an actual surplus, where the debt went down

yes you can have a BUDGET (PROJECTED) surplus/deficit...but with a surplus, the debt will be paid DOWN, and will NOT increase...unless they .....SPENT the surplus, which makes it not a surplus

example
you make 60k..you currently have a debt of 15k......you budget 57k.. ...you have a projected surplus, of 3k..which should go to the debt and lower the debt to 12k........................

.......but.....

emergencies come up.......washer/dryer........1k........transmission on the mommie mobile......2k............unexpected medical bill not covered by insurance....3k.............hmmm 6k total

now what do you have........60k income...budget of 57k...debt of 15k....new spending of 6k.......your 3k surplus, with a 3k pay down of your 15k down to 12k....just turned into a 3k defiict,,and 3k of additional debt...making your total debt now UP to 18k

sorry, but the PROJECTED surpluses of clinton/newt never happened...the debt never got paid, and the debt infact INCREASED

the simple fact is if there had been a surplus, then the debt would have gone down...it didn't

was the BUDGET balanced.....yes

was there a PROJECTED SURPLUS.....yes

was there an actual surplus , once all in's and out's were counted.....NO

here is the 4 years that they claim had a surplus
Fiscal
Year........ YearEnding.... ..National Debt........Annual budget Deficit

FY1998..... 09/30/1998.... $5.526193 trillion...... $113.05 billion
FY1999..... 09/30/1999.... $5.656270 trillion...... $130.08 billion
FY2000..... 09/29/2000.... $5.674178 trillion...... $17.91 billion
FY2001..... 09/28/2001.... $5.877463 trillion...... $133.29 billion

so endeth the myth of the Clinton surplus

a spent projected surplus is not a surplus

the debt nearly doubled under bush2 from 5.87 trillion to 10.6 trillion
and the debt has nearly doubled under Obama, who still has 2 years left...and has NOT shrunk the deficit
Quote:
LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
10/01/2009................................ 11,920,519,164,319.42
09/30/2010................................ 13,561,623,030,891.79
1,641,103,866,572............................1.6 trillion deficit fy10

10/01/2010.................................13,610,847,58 5,810.09
09/30/2011.................................14,790,340,32 8,557.15
1,179,492,742,747...........................1.17tr illion deficit fy11

09/30/2011................................ 14,790,340,328,557.15
09/28/2012................................ 16,066,241,407,385.89
1,275,901,078,828..........................1.27 trillion deficit fy12

10/01/2012.................................16,159,487,01 3,300.35
09/30/2013.................................16,738,183,52 6,697.32
578,696,513,397..............................578 billion deficit fy13......the only year under one trillion

10/01/2013................................. 16,747,478,675,335.18
09/30/2014................................. 17,824,071,380,733.82
1,076,592,705,398..............................1.0 7 trillion deficit fy14 which just ended

1.6 trillion DEFICIT
1.17 trillion DEFICIT
1.27 trillion DEFICIT
578 Billion DEFICIT (the only year under a trillion since fy09)
1.07 Trillion DEFICIT (this last fy that ended 30 days ago )

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/current .....................link

Old 12-06-2014, 01:02 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm...your partisan blinders are showing

yes the debt tripled under Reagan/bush1

the debt nearly doubled under clintin from 3.1 trillion to 5.87 trillion

the debt nearly doubled under bush2 from 5.87 trillion to 10.6 trillion
and the debt has nearly doubled under Obama, who still has 2 years left...and has NOT shrunk the deficit
Clinton handed Bush a balanced budget (but republicans fully ignore that.)
The Budget and Deficit Under Clinton

Bush turned that balanced budget into huge deficits and debt growth (and republicans ignore that as well.)

Obama lowered Bush's 2009 $1.4 trillion dollar deficit to $483 billion (and republicans spin it.)

Don't Blame Obama for Bush's 2009 Deficit | Cato @ Liberty

The following is America's debt history by president (its a lot easier to understand compared to a republicans hiding facts, manipulation, and spin.)

Last edited by chad3; 12-06-2014 at 01:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies