Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 02:23 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Eric Garner... this is amazing. Body Camera's won't do a damn thing.
There is a much grander jury than the Grand Jury.

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Ref #86
No. It is because law abiding people are just that. Do not break laws. Do not confront the police. Do not resist a law enforcement officer in the execution of their sworn duty.

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What the hell is wrong with this country?

When will there be an open dialogue to talk about the corruption and excessive force used by law officers?

We can talk all day long but nothing will change until they start killing unarmed white men...

and trust me, they will.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:25 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
We are witnessing snuff films and most people aren't even outraged because the people being killed by cops are Black.

Keep applauding these deaths but trust me, this is going to embolden more police officers to commit more murders and they will get bored of killing Black men.. they will come for you as well.

I hope you are ready.
That's my fear. There is NO accountability. Cops are quickly becoming the fastest growing gang in the country, with a very literal "get out of jail free" card.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:28 PM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Quote:
We can talk all day long but nothing will change until they start killing unarmed white men...
Sad, but true. Imagine if Oscar Grant had been white, or Trayvon Martin, or Mike Brown, or Eric Garner, or Tamir Rice...especially Tamir Rice.

Then again, I doubt it would be instant. White men can be thugs, too. They'd drag them through the dirt--even the 12 year old--trying to justify why their murders were acceptable rather than challenge the status quo.

But if enough white people die, they might take notice. Maybe I'm just being cynical. It took all of, what, two white Americans catching Ebola to get everyone behind a vaccine? Maybe two dead white people would be enough to matter.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:28 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You have no clue how hard getting cuffs onto someone that doesn't want them actually is. No clue at all.

Grab a friend, biggest, strongest one you can think of, and I'll bet you $100 to the charity of your choice that the two of you would struggle to get cuffs on a hysterical, screaming 110 pound woman in under 10 minutes, without using some sort of serious physical force that resulted in at least serious contusions and probable broken bone or two. I know, because everyone who ever went to law enforcement school has done the "restrain them" thing where the actors were told to resist with everything they had. When I got to be perp, three people struggled for 15 minutes and never got me in cuffs and the instructors called time. We were on wrestling mats and I still looked like I'd been in a street fight.

It's soooooooooooooo much harder than people realize. But anytime you feel trying it, grab a pair of handcuffs and bet a friend that you can get those cuffs on them in under 10 minutes. Make it a really good bet too, so they have real motivation to resist, just as a resisting perp in the real world would. You'll lose that bet unless you're willing to kick arse and use some violence, I can almost guarantee.
Still an illegal choke hold. If you don't think you can do the job, if you're afraid you might get hurt without doing things that have been banned. Don't take the job. If you scare easily and immediately want to shoot people. Don't take the job.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why is it necessary to mention: white cop, black man? What if it were a black cop and a white man< would it be different?
I agree with you on this. I wish the media wouldn't mention race of the cop or the victim.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:30 PM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I agree with you on this. I wish the media wouldn't mention race of the cop or the victim.
If we lived in a world without racism this would be a valid point, but we don't, so it's not.

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Nothing you said really disagrees with me though. I agree it's good advice. Being super polite and compliant goes a long way. But I don't like the fact that if a cop doesn't like your attitude your fate can change. I don't think it's ok that I feel the need to give the cop any more respect than I do the average person. In fact I have less respect for cops than a majority of other people. Yet when I come into contact with them, I know I have to kiss the ring if I want everything to turn out the right way.
The cop has weapons that you don't, and has authority & power that you don't. In short, they are a superior opponent in every possible way, so follow Sun Tzu, retreat and come back when you are on equal footing...in a courtroom.

Be calm
Be obedient
Be respectful

If you're right, a judge will figure it out.

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Oh man, I know, right? Doing the job you trained for and were hired to do gets really tough sometimes.

Killing unarmed people makes it way easier.
I had handcuffing and takedown training. It IS freaking hard.....at the beginning of your training. Its a LOT easier at the end, but still a challenge. And when they're big its very hard.

That doesn't change the fact that the officer used a choke hold they were told not to. Thats negligent manslaughter. Given the circumstances I would argue for a extremely light sentence. But to not even indict? Thats insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies