Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 02:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just because you want a nanny to tell you what size of drink you can have, doesn't mean the rest of us believe we need the same.

If I'm not sure what size a small soda is, I'll just ask.
You must have missed the part where I said NO, someone shouldn't limit the size of soda I could purchase....though I don't think calling a bucket a small soda is necessary. Someone who wants to drink a bucket of soda should have to ask for a bucket rather than lie to themselves by calling it a "small."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:16 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
It seems to be implied here:
If you look at third-world countries, heck, look at Mexico, you'll see that the economy is controlled by very few at the top, with the majority of people in poverty. These countries have very ineffective governments.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
This topic is vague; just look at the title and the original post.

If you want to go into specifics, like taxes, we can do that. If it's about the military, sure. If it's about welfare, let's discuss.

This thread is about the overall government, and in the grand scheme of things the government is overreaching in too many areas.
The OP has been very clear that they want NO Government. Do you agree with the OP?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Logically speaking, it can't. Since in the situation you are speculating, the government controls what books are printed, what books are distributed, etc. Since they control the array of choices available to you, they in effect control what you read.
No, in my hypothetical situation, you can go online to any distributor in the world and order any book you like. The government pays for it and delivers it at your home where it goes in a video monitored lock box in a secure room built in your home which you can enter on Monday afternoons and read that book.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Of the two, which is the larger problem:
1. Corporations "buying" congressional votes.
2. Law makers "selling" their votes?
It takes both a buyer and seller to complete a transaction. The two are intertwined, so you cannot separate them and ask which is worse.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
No, in my hypothetical situation, you can go online to any distributor in the world and order any book you like. The government pays for it and delivers it at your home where it goes in a video monitored lock box in a secure room built in your home which you can enter on Monday afternoons and read that book.
That would be the government controlling what you read, that would fall under unlimited government.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
This topic is vague; just look at the title and the original post.

If you want to go into specifics, like taxes, we can do that. If it's about the military, sure. If it's about welfare, let's discuss.

This thread is about the overall government, and in the grand scheme of things the government is overreaching in too many areas.
Point taken.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The OP has been very clear that they want NO Government. Do you agree with the OP?
Exactly, the OP did say that and I came back and said exactly this:

Quote:
A limited government.
It's post number 3 on the first page.

Essentially, I disagreed with the OP who said any government was bad by saying (in just those three words) that I want a limited government.

It was nvxplorer who took issue that I made such a statement because I didn't define "limited government" clearly enough.

Just go to the first page and see for yourself.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That would be the government controlling what you read, that would fall under unlimited government.
No, because they did not limit you to the book you chose.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Then you are changing your original proposition. The government doesn't control every aspect of life outside the one book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies