Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government mandate paid maternity leave?
Yes 29 20.71%
No 82 58.57%
Only the current unpaid leave (FMLA) 29 20.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsRock

Your decision to breed should not be
subsidized by your employer. They are not getting anything out of it but a bunch
of frustrated employees that now have to do your work in addition to
theirs.
It isn't. It's subsidized by UI, which the women pay into, and will continue to pay into upon returning to work.
Furthermore, the other employees don't have to "do your work for you."
We hire people who need to work, and they can do it for a year at a time. Some only do replacements for maternity leave. Parent gets to stay home and bond with the child, and someone who needs a job gets to work.
When I took a year off for mat leave, they hired another nurse to fill in. She found another job immediately when I came back.
Win-win.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
You hire them to do a job. This means they do something to benefit your business. I personally take this to mean they are doing me a service and that I would then be morally obligated to offer a service back. Their relationship to me is that they do work I assign them to benefit my company. My relationship to them is that I pay them to sustain themselves and any other expenses they may have.

It's an issue of respect. Me and my business's profits are not the only thing that matter. I would respect my employees as ends, by offering them reasonable compensation and minimal hindrance on their personal life (none ideally). To me, this may mean offering some benefits. Decent health insurance, reasonable vacation time, and paid maternity leave when needed. Yeah, it's their decision to have a kid. So? It's also their decision to work for me and MY decision to hire them. In this scenario where I am the business owner, I answer to no one. I pay myself what I want and could theoretically leave work at any time. In other words, I have no real hindrances on my personal endeavors. Why should I be ok with doing that to my employees?

Don't get me wrong, some jobs deserve more than others. And even some people deserve more for doing the same jobs. But I do not feel it is the right of an employer to withhold certain freedoms from their employees on the basis of company profit. Employees are an expensive recourse. If you can't afford to hire someone AND treat them as people, then don't hire them. You're wasting their time and that is unfair. That's treating them as a mere means, which is morally wrong.
That is you. How about your other staff who remain at their jobs. What about what they believe? Do you care about workplace harmony? What if privileges extended to one group due to gender or condition affect others outside that group.

Other expenses? Fringe benefit then declared at the onset as a hiring incentive for top people. No different than other benefits. When does your concern end,(You going to co-sign a loan for them as well?) -when it affects the bottom line?, when you decide?-then you become a parent or Nanny type character. You think you are superior to your employees to pass judgement on their personal lives as to where you will help and where you will not? Kind of hypocritical then.

Respect? How about other staff who have to do extra work or will you take on the double burden of hiring a temp and paying for the stay at home new mom? Will you cut all of your employees salaries including your own in a poor financial year or let people go? Because that also shows respect to the staff. You also going to provide a pension as well? How about paid medical care? Extended personal time and vacation. All of those show respect and treasure those offsite Freedoms you mention. Will you also allow your employees Freedom at work to question your decisions and policies? Why did you start the company in the first instance if it was to give away the profits and control our of a sense of moral obligation.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-13-2014 at 05:37 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
USA the only western/industrial country in the world with no mandatory.....

- Universal healthcare
- Paid/Unpaid holidays
- Paid/Unpaid sick days
- Paid/Unpaid vacation
- Paid maternity leave (90 days of unpaid leave under 'FMLA' if company has 50+ employees).

USA is truly the worst western country in the world when it comes to family/life balance and labor laws and protection.... So sad! Republicans should be ashamed, as should corporates and the congress! Wealthy people the only one's who are lucky and could afford staying home! :/

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
No.....why would ANYONE pay you to NOT BE AT WORK

Old 12-13-2014, 05:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It isn't. It's subsidized by UI, which the women pay into, and will continue to pay into upon returning to work.
Furthermore, the other employees don't have to "do your work for you."
We hire people who need to work, and they can do it for a year at a time. Some only do replacements for maternity leave. Parent gets to stay home and bond with the child, and someone who needs a job gets to work.
When I took a year off for mat leave, they hired another nurse to fill in. She found another job immediately when I came back.
Win-win.
UI is paid by the employer 99% of the time... not the employe

Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Looking longer range...or even to the past...if women stayed home to raise the kids they claim they want and were removed from the workforce, maybe a smaller pool of employees would result in better pay and one worker families could again become more the norm.
If you can't afford them and don't even want to stay home to raise them, don't have them.
If all those single moms knew they weren't going to get subsidized for being breeders, that number would drop, too.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 AM

59,066 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
USA the only western/industrial country in the world with no mandatory.....

- Universal healthcare
- Paid/Unpaid holidays
- Paid/Unpaid sick days
- Paid/Unpaid vacation
- Paid maternity leave (90 days of unpaid leave under 'FMLA' if company has 50+ employees).

USA is truly the worst western country in the world when it comes to family/life balance and labor laws and protection.... So sad! Republicans should be ashamed, as should corporates and the congress! Wealthy people the only one's who are lucky and could afford staying home! :/

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
It looks like you think EVERY country in the world should have the EXACT same laws about everything.

I can think of a lot of things we have that other countries don't, and vise-a-versa.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Your decision to breed should not be subsidized by your employer. They are not getting anything out of it but a bunch of frustrated employees that now have to do your work in addition to theirs.
You don't understand. They whine and cry about "choice" and "It's my body and I can do what I want with it" yet, they seldom want to pay for it.

It is YOUR responsibility to pay for their choices.

To add, I have NO problem with any company that CHOOSES to give maternity leave.

Mandatory, NO!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not mandatory for all businesses. And it shouldn't be.
If you feel so string about it, why don't YOU write a check to the new parent.

It is easy to spend someone else's money.

Some never cease wanting OTHERS to pay for things, yet WON'T do so themselves.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:07 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Does anyone find it odd that Canadians start threads about what we need to do in the US? Especially when this same scenario has been beat to death several times already.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:21 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
We should require a paid year off for new mothers but only for married ones. I don't understand how workplaces expect their women to give birth, go back to work right away and take care of their babies at the same time. The solution always seems to be to just put the babies in government run day care centers and be raised by other people. This can not only be expensive but psychologically damaging to the mother and her babies. It is best when the mother stays at home, takes care of the babies and the household and the husband works to make money for the home. But femininits have lied to women saying that they can have it all; due to this, we have created a generation of psychologically disordered peoples. We need to develop a system that subsidized stay at home housewives or at least allows women to stay at home. To do this we need to get rid WIC, SNAP, Section 8 housing, and all these forms of govt assistance people can abuse and are costly to the tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies