Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL....Do you really think that could happen? Only in your dreams do rates decrease.....
Do you not understand? The cost to the utility to generate or purchase power is only about 4 or 5 cents in most cases. To that they add distribution costs and profit which is the ten cents you pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:17 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you not understand? The cost to the utility to generate or purchase power is only about 4 or 5 cents in most cases. To that they add distribution costs and profit which is the ten cents you pay.
Yeah I know how it all works, but what you suggest is not realistic.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:17 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Each tree has a power output estimated at 3.1 kW.....Attractive and efficient.....I'll take two.....I expect to see these in Victoria soon.
Tree-Shaped Wind Turbines Blend Into the Scenery : Discovery News
Well, that looks good in a magazine. But it's no replacement for coal. It's crap like that that will force people into poverty because the elec bills are going to quadruple soon.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But it's no replacement for coal.
It's not even a replacement for a windmill. The cost is extroidinary compred to regualr one and as already mentioned that is going to be maintance nightmare.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
It's not even a replacement for a windmill. The cost is extroidinary compred to regualr one and as already mentioned that is going to be maintance nightmare.
So can be my 60 year old motorcycle but it's still pretty cool.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
This is what these liberals love, these hairbrained feel good doohickey's that really are worthless in the grand scheme.

Most of our power is generated with Nuclear and natural gas with some coal plants. The ultimate goal is to reach 10% renewable generation but that's in the future. At best 10%. But guess what is on the cover of the electric industry magazine most months? Stupid windmills.

Do people here realize just how much maintenance those windmills require? They seem to think they just set them up and they create power forever for free. A full maintenance staff for just a few mills. The things break down constantly. They kill birds at a terrible rate. Maint crews are driving diesel powered vehicles hundreds of thousands of miles a year to keep them running. They are really not "green" at all. They are just expensive window dressing.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:32 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
If you really must have a windmill, build your own and use a design that is best suited for your environment. I built one from a truck alternator, a invertor and a series of batteries... The guy I built it for was pleased as punch..

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
If you really must have a windmill, build your own and use a design that is best suited for your environment. I built one from a truck alternator, a invertor and a series of batteries... The guy I built it for was pleased as punch..
If a guy has 5k to spend on a tree windmill what should I care? It's how it's suppose to work is it not? Someone wants something, you create and the economy turns.

But if you don't have the extra money, yours is a cool way to do it. I remember guys doing this back in the 70's. Mostly the tinkerers but now people would rather complain on the internet I guess than do things like this.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If a guy has 5k to spend on a tree windmill what should I care? It's how it's suppose to work is it not? Someone wants something, you create and the economy turns.

But if you don't have the extra money, yours is a cool way to do it. I remember guys doing this back in the 70's. Mostly the tinkerers but now people would rather complain on the internet I guess than do things like this.
I thought it was kinda a fun little project. The materials weren't expensive.. I had less than $500 tied up in it and made a tidy little profit and still saved him a bundle. None of this is rocket science.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:51 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I sure wish people would use less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why you wish to control what other people do?
Oh, go pick a fight at your local neighborhood bar and not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies