Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What a sad sorry excuse you use to defend the religion.
It's ALWAYS just "few extremists" and they always seem to "hijack" the same religion.

Islam is a religion of retribution and revenge for not adhering to it's writings.
I didn't know Timothy McVeigh, Adam Lenza, and Seung-Hui Cho were Muslim.

Stop lumping all Muslims in the extreme category. I have several friends and work colleagues who Muslims and none of them are like these idiots that killed those innocent people today.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
More cloaking.

They aren't a cult.

They believe in the same God that Christians believe in, that Jews believe in. They follow the God of Abraham. Three religions, all based on the same foundation, that each took different paths.

And each of these religions has their own claims to shame. Each of these religions has been USED and invoked to commit terrible atrocities. Each of these religions have scriptures that are ambiguous, contradictory, and confounding. All of these scriptures have been re-written, interpreted, and translated to the point that what we read today bears little resemblance to the original texts.

And the extremists are cloaking their goals behind the veil of religion, just like those that participated in the Crusades, or in the Inquisition, did. They are human beings who are angry and fearful and dissatisfied and who think that great injustices are carried out by the rich and powerful. Just like a lot of Americans feel about government, and about the rich and powerful. They are human beings who think that violence will get them heard. Unfortunately, I think there are Americans who think that way, too.

Terrorism has to be stopped. But it's not going to be stopped by oppression and suppression of a religion. That just leads to more feelings of fear and anger. More blind hatred. And, like it or not, there will always be people on this planet who will be the have-nots. Who will hate those who do have. Who will feel that the unfairness of life is a great injustice. Who will turn to violence, because they'd rather burn the world down, then be those who are without.
What "hidden motivation" do religious terrorists have I hitting a satirical newspaper? What "ulterior motive" exists that is simply using religion as a ruse? I'm sorry but I think you're simply going way too fa rout of your way not to offend and trying to be conciliatory humanist.

I would argue that extremists did not cloak their goals behind the veil of religion in the Crusades and Inquisition. Religion was not an excuse, it was the REASON for the pathology in the first place.

They are called RELIGIOUS extremists for a reason.

Are there people who use religious texts as a cloak? Yes. But a more apt example would be apologists for things like slavery (which was not motivated by the Bible, but justified because -- hey look, it's in the bible). Or, using the Koran to enforce and maintain systemic sexism in Islamic cultures.

That is entirely different than being so warped and shaped by religion that it literally causes you to be violent or kill others.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Just remember, the terrorists are still on the loose. Every western country should lock down muslim travel and immigration until caught.

How would a Western country identify a Muslim?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Following WW2 and dissolution of colonies, many European countries began importing dirt cheap labor, mostly from Northern Africa. Their standard of living became highly dependent on cheap labor.

Travel to Paris in August and it's a whole lot of tourists and Muslims minding the shop. The Parisians flee for cheap beaches for the month.

Travel to Playa Del Carmen , Mexico in August and French is heard everywhere.

How does a country intentionally recruit and import cheap labor from other cultures and , over time, avoid multiculturalism?
The US did the same. We promoted and practiced ASSIMILATION back then as did Europe.
But over the past decade everyone moved to multiculturalism...keep your culture and we'll all co-exist together in peace and harmony.....a vision of Utopia.

Melting pot vs salad bowl.

It doesn't work and has nothing to do with the history of immigration of cheap labor.

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post

Stop lumping all Muslims in the extreme category. I have several friends and work colleagues who Muslims and none of them are like these idiots that killed those innocent people today.
Ask your friends if they believe that people should die if Islam is insulted. It's not all about actions, often times, they support and justify those actions.

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:

A valid point with a horrible analogy. Tim McVeigh was a murderer who happened to be (I assume) of Christian background. I don't think his crimes were motivated by Christianity so much as right wing nutjobbery.

Adam Lanza did not kill in the name of religion, nor did Seung-Hui.

It is the act of KILLING or ACTING for religious motivations that must be looked at. Is something being done to ADVANCE a religious ideology, or to ATTACK another religious ideology?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

And none of them did what they did for "religious revenge" did they ?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
Your right to practice your religion extends to your home and place of worship.
You have 0 right to curtail my freedom of speech even if it offends your religious doctrines, understood?
Agreed.

So who has tried to curtail YOUR freedom of speech?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's fear. You can try to cloak it any way you want to, but it's fear.

Maybe you could help us slow-wits out by explaining why you seem to side with the enemy.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 AM

410 posts, read 398,433 times
Quote:

Habibi, try a small experiment, will you?
Ask your muslim coworkers if they follow the teachings of an illiterate, pedophile of a warlord who established Islam by the force of sword.

On a second thought, don't, I hear "workplace violence" is America is at a prime these days.

Woman-beheaded-in-oklahoma-workplace/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies