Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 02:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

@ALackOfCreativity

Your quote:it's also an irrelevant discussion.

Of course its irrelevant and you made my point thank you. Its not about someone getting something your not, its not about waste/fraud or about nutrition or welfare reform. This whole topic and argument is about a segment of people who view another as morally wrong and its based on perception of class. If it wasn't then you would have agreed with me that handouts are handouts, it doesn't matter what class the people are. No form of laziness should be exceptable, Laziness doesn't become ok because someone is making billions. To seperate welfare for the poor from corporate welfare etc tells me your not interestted in welfare reform but to punish morally wrong people. Why welfare for the poor and rich(corp) are the same? Its because the working taxpayers are paying for laziness and getting nothing in return for it. These are the morale standards you propose for the poor, these are the standards we should judge all then.

Pg 1/2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Pg 2/2

@ALackOfCreativity continued

How can we have welfare reform without the willingness to reform and talk about all forms of welfare. Or are we talking jusr welfare reform for the lazy, morally low poor?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billparker56 View Post
'but but but then i would need to take personal responsibility for my actions! my people have spent the last three decades trying to do anything but!'
Anything better to do than make ad hominem attacks and constant complaints about Blacks?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:26 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@ALackOfCreativity

Your quote:it's also an irrelevant discussion.

Of course its irrelevant and you made my point thank you. Its not about someone getting something your not, its not about waste/fraud or about nutrition or welfare reform. This whole topic and argument is about a segment of people who view another as morally wrong and its based on perception of class. If it wasn't then you would have agreed with me that handouts are handouts, it doesn't matter what class the people are. No form of laziness should be exceptable, Laziness doesn't become ok because someone is making billions. To seperate welfare for the poor from corporate welfare etc tells me your not interestted in welfare reform but to punish morally wrong people. Why welfare for the poor and rich(corp) are the same? Its because the working taxpayers are paying for laziness and getting nothing in return for it. These are the morale standards you propose for the poor, these are the standards we should judge all then.

Pg 1/2
Right-wingers are obsessed with reward and punishment. It's part of their worldview, which came along when the religious right took over, IMO. They see everything through this paradigm, which is quite foreign to those of us who don't see the entirety of reality in terms of good and evil.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 PM

288 posts, read 212,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's because they are US citizens. They can't claim their undocumented parents as dependents and receive food stamps for them. Only the citizen is eligible.
US citizens are supposed to be eligible for SNAP if they meet all the requirements. What does any of that have to do with their undocumented parents?

Well, they are the least of our worries, the illegals come here to work, their children are under represented in welfare, you never see them begging, like I see so many of our home grown lazy bums...

Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 PM

211 posts, read 165,075 times
Thank GOD! 99% of the people in this thread and the politicians that think like them will NEVER get close to the white house....man oh man...oh and if the min wage was jacked up people wouldn't need FS...so blame the 1% for using the 99% for their own needs and wants and not giving back what the 99% earned.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:55 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Arresmillao View Post
Well, they are the least of our worries, the illegals come here to work, their children are under represented in welfare, you never see them begging, like I see so many of our home grown lazy bums...
If you are here illegally, you can't get welfare.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:58 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Arresmillao View Post
Yes. Many of our own citizens have a sense of entitlement. The undocumented immigrants have a documented work ethic.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
As someone who actually does this line of work, I'd like to add my $0.02. It is quite appalling how ungrateful some of these clients are who are receiving this assistance, and yes there are plenty of whites as well as blacks using these benefits as well. I live in Louisiana, where there is a lot of poverty (there's a lot of poverty in the south period) and even if you are not in poverty your income may need to be supplemented w/ assistance to purchase your groceries. For the most part my client's are pretty decent, grateful people. Many use SNAP as what it is meant to be: a SUPPLEMENT to their income (be it earned from a job or unearned-contributions, SSA, SSI, child support, workman's comp, veteran's benefits, etc). On the flip side, you do come across those that are ungrateful and rather greedy. These are the ones who have 4 kids (not too bad) work and earn a decent wage and then wonder why their benefit amount was reduced. They complain that they have to cook every day. UMMMM....NEWSFLASH:You don't have to cook every day. If you cook a big enough meal, you may eat off of that for the next two days or so. Not saying one should eat leftover's every night but these are the type who want to be high maintenance when they are using public assistance. It's not meant for that. "I have to use my money to buy food?" Ummm yea you do! SNAP was never meant to be your SOLE source of groceries.

"Maybe I should close my child support case so I can get more food stamps" No you shouldn't, then how are your other bills going to get paid???

You also have those that want to add every newborn in the home to their case KNOWING the baby is not eating sold foods yet. I understand that you have to pay for formula but that's what WIC is for. If you and your seven kids qualify for SNAP, then you qualify for WIC.

Elderly/disabled & college students get the worst deal and it SICKENS me to see how they are treated. The former group barely gets $30/month [on a fixed income might I add] unless they have verified medical expenses that the agency can give them credit for while the latter is totally ineligible UNLESS they are responsible for the care of a child under the age of 6 or if the student is a single parent the child can be over the age of six but must be under the age of 12. If the student has no children, they must be working at least 20 hours per week somewhere, doing some type of work study (regardless of how many hours/week they are there), participating in some type of on the job training, or participating in some type of work program through the unemployment office.

ETA-There are a lot of shysters using SNAP, however there are just as many who have fallen on hard times due to circumstances beyond their control. You have single moms and single dads w/ 2 or 3 kids and while they may work their income just may not be sufficient enough to pay for bills and all the household's food. I do think it's a good thing that the federal government provides this program. With that being said, it does need a MAJOR makeover.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 01-18-2015 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Okay, so why should we pay for someone to eat? I know my family is hungry, I pick berries during the fall, all summer I collect things to freeze or can for the winter. My husband goes hunting for elk or deer and we try to buy a 1/2 a cow just in case the hunting is not so productive. Yes, this all cost, but we want to not go hungry, team effort.

If the NA had to rely on the food stamps to eat, most of the tribe would have died. The Nez Perce were very good nomads.

I would never solely depend on anyone, except my husband and my sons to help get food. So, again I ask, why is it my problem to collect my food and someone elses? All the while they want a free basic phone?
The truth is your tax dollars are always going to go towards something that you do not agree w/ be it SNAP, social security, welfare, etc. I don't particularly like the fact that my taxes are being used to buy poison to kill condemned prisoners (I'm generally not for capital punishment though I can understand someone who would support it, especially if it was one of their loved ones that died at the result of a crime) however I can't change the fact that a portion of my taxes are going towards such as cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies