Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 10:08 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Only the disabled (physically & mentally) and seniors should get this help, young people need to work for their money.
Was with you until that...you are promoting Ageism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have seen a couple of posts backed up with links.
Did you skip over those ?

How to fix it ? Annual audits to verify eligibility and kick those out that don't qualify and bring charges against them.

The FCC did that with lifeline and 60% got kicked out. Saved us over $1 billion a year.
What would you do that the government already isn't doing?

USDA Releases New Report on Trafficking and Announces Additional Measures to Improve Integrity in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program | Food and Nutrition Service

What is SNAP Fraud? | Food and Nutrition Service

The federal government takes action against those who misuse the program.

In FY 2012, over 100 analysts and investigators reviewed over 15,000 stores and conducted nearly 4,500 undercover investigations. Close to 1,400 stores were permanently disqualified for trafficking and nearly 700 stores were sanctioned for other violations such as the sale of ineligible items. FNS also works with State law enforcement authorities to provide them with SNAP benefits that are used in sting operations, supporting anti-trafficking actions at the local level. USDA’s Office of the Inspector General also conducts extensive criminal investigations – many resulting from FNS administrative oversight findings and referrals – to prosecute traffickers. In FY 2012, OIG SNAP investigations resulted in 342 convictions, including a number of multi-year prison terms for the most serious offenses, and approximately $57.7 million in monetary results. In FY 2012, OIG devoted more than 50 percent of its investigative resources to prevent SNAP fraud, waste and abuse.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Really? That's quite a blanket statement you made there. How about supporting your claim with a few facts or links, or are you just blowing smoke. I'll match your unfounded BS with facts and statistics to show that you are wrong.
Let's go.
Nah
I work-- so I don't have the time or energy to look it up.
I do, however look at my paycheck stubs.....

All those taxes I'm paying are supporting the freeloaders of society.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
What I would like is for these idiots to stop breeding and producing children they expect the tax payers to take care of. If you're already on SNAP with two kids, don't go having three more.
Jesus! What do you people want that you haven't already done?

"The farm bill passed by the House on Thursday, after a day of intense and sometimes hostile debate, was stripped of about $740 billion in funding for food stamps",
The legislation represented the first time since 1973 that a House version failed to provide support for food stamps. The vote Thursday was 216-208, with all 196 Democrats present voting to oppose the measure. Twelve Republicans also voted against the bill.
While politically, congressional Republicans have focused on reducing spending on federal entitlement programs, the Pew Research survey found the U.S. to be “a “bipartisan nation of beneficiaries.”

The survey found that significant proportions of Democrats (60%) and Republicans (52%) say they have benefited from a major entitlement program at some point in their lives. So have nearly equal shares of self-identifying conservatives (57%), liberals (53%) and moderates (53%).

Old 01-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Nah
I work-- so I don't have the time or energy to look it up.
I do, however look at my paycheck stubs.....

All those taxes I'm paying are supporting the freeloaders of society.
You are aware that the majority of people on the SNAP program are people who actually have jobs but still qualify, like the average Walmart worker(the largest employer in the nation) or people who have worked all their lives and are retired with fixed income?

You are aware of this fact? Aren't you?

I'll bet you're one of those folks who think only black women with 6 kids and a cadallac get snap.

Come on now.......admit it........that's what you really think now isn't it?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:31 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Jesus! What do you people want that you haven't already done?
Add WIC-like restrictions that stop people from using taxpayer money from poisoning themselves with soda and other junk food. Figure out how much you have to give people to feed themselves and their family in a nutritious way. Reduce the grants to that amount of money. Also remove from the program pre-packaged food, so that some parents on the program don't resort to underfeeding their kids instead of learning to do some basic cooking when the amounts go down. Similar to WIC again. Bottom line I guess make the program about providing a basic, nutritious diet to people who would otherwise go hungry and not about transferring resources.

At the very least if you're not going to do all that at least remove soda, candy, junk food, and frozen pizza from the items you can buy. If that isn't doable at a bare minimum remove soda.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Was with you until that...you are promoting Ageism.
In no way was I, seriously! I happen to know many seniors 80-90 yrs old doing very well in life, still living independently,
some even snow-board

All I'm saying is once we get to a certain age and our body is failing we can't do any more. Plus most of us 45 and above didn't come from relying on the government, it's the new generation listening to those who say, "it's okay to not work and collect SS early." Along with thinking working for a living is for old people.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:35 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
$45 a week to SUPPLEMENT your own money is plenty.
Can i humbly point out the chicken little "the sky is fallen" "the sky is fallen" syndrome we have on this thread? Do you know that only 2% of the whole US budget goes to the SNAP program for 47 million people. Thats 2 cents on every tax dollar? You see how dumb the im paying for lazy people is? As i said earlier i spend more on 2 cups of starbucks coffee a mth then i do on people on SNAP.

Safety net programs amount to about 12 percent of the federal budget in 2013, ... for low-income families and individuals, including SNAP (food stamps), school*...etc etc etc. Again most in a mth will pay 12 cents on every tax dollar for almost all programs. still i spend more on starbucks coffee in a mth. Also 35.4 Percent of all americans are on some form of safety net program. Kinda defeats the everything is well and we all can ge ambitious argument?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Add WIC-like restrictions that stop people from using taxpayer money from poisoning themselves with soda and other junk food. Figure out how much you have to give people to feed themselves and their family in a nutritious way. Reduce the grants to that amount of money. Also remove from the program pre-packaged food, so that some parents on the program don't resort to underfeeding their kids instead of learning to do some basic cooking when the amounts go down. Similar to WIC again. Bottom line I guess make the program about providing a basic, nutritious diet to people who would otherwise go hungry and not about transferring resources.

At the very least if you're not going to do all that at least remove soda, candy, junk food, and frozen pizza from the items you can buy. If that isn't doable at a bare minimum remove soda.
There ya have it. A reasonable plan I could get behind. Something that won't cost more money than it saves and it will force a better diet on the recipients.
Easy enough to do as there are already disallowed categories of items reloaded on the EBT card. It wouldn't take rocket science to expand the disallowed categories to soda and candy items.

I could easily get behind an idea like that. Now were getting somewhere.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
....Do you know that only 2% of the whole US budget goes to the SNAP program for 47 million people.?
False argument. It's easy to cherry pick any statistic to make something look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies