Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 06:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times

Advertisements

if each person thinks he has an inalienable right to welfare, no matter what happens to the world, that's not equity, it's just creating a society where you can't ask anything of people.

Welfare Quotes Page 2 - BrainyQuote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 06:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
The more people who are dependent on government handouts, the more votes the left can depend on for an ever-expanding welfare state.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The people I know on food stamps spend their regular money on booze, cigs or drugs.

But the kids gotta eat so we give them SNAP.

Dang! Where were al those food stamps when I was a kid? I was raised by drunks who had a refrigerator filled with beer but never any real food in the house. They fed me ketchup sandwiches. One time I was told I'd have to be a heathen (!) because the nly food available was canned soup with some meat in it. (This would have been wither Lent or on a Friday when Catholics were not supposed to eat meat during those times.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The more people who are dependent on government handouts, the more votes the left can depend on for an ever-expanding welfare state.
Except....those people dont vote nearly as much as you seem to think. And even more interesting is that as the years have gone by they are beginning to vote Republican at a higher rate then they have in the past (although the majority are still voting democrat).

So....as handouts go out...the Republicans are gaining votes....Wait....that doesn't match your narrative does it?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The thing is, many on welfare are on drugs (not I didn't say all) but it's a full time job finding the next fix. Only if they would put that much effort into finding and holding a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Interesting claim. Any proof?
The fact that Liberals reject drug-testing for compliance is sufficient proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It's the idea of somebody getting something for nothing. I don't know why that stirs up so much anger in some people.
Misrepresentation
If the misrepresentation occurs on purpose, then it is an example of lying. If the misrepresentation occurs during a debate in which there is misrepresentation of the opponent’s claim, then it would be the cause of a straw man fallacy.

Then give me $3,000 so I don't have to spend my food money on a Yamaha DGX640 keyboard with a Sound City SMF Tour Series head and two Sound City Twin 15 stacks wired in a series-parallel 4x12 X-pattern (and a B3 Leslie).

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
If you want to eliminate food stamps I hope you're fine with gated community living and an even more stagnant economy and dealing with hordes of aggressive homeless people every time you go out somewhere.
Scare Tactic
If you suppose that terrorizing your opponent is giving him a reason for believing that you are correct, then you are using a scare tactic and reasoning fallaciously.

Concealed Carry Permits will deal with the hordes of people who choose to live in the streets.

So will drones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Why not just move to India where inequality and destitution are facts of life?
British and US Foreign Policy are the cause of inequality and destitution in India.

That's changing.

When India moves into its 2nd Level Economy, they will take the jobs the Chinese didn't take.

Quote:
In 2013 welfare fraud was down to 3.2% of all cases, down from 8% in 2002.
That proves nothing.

You could say the Obama Administration has refused to aggressively pursue fraud.

How many fraud claims?
How many reported fraud claims?
How many investigators?
How many labor-hours spent investigating fraud?
How many cases were actually prosecuted/adjudicated in one form or another?

Quote:
Not only is it completely false, but any economist will tell you SNAP more than pays for itself--according to the USDA $1 in SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in GDP.
You mean any Liberal wannabe-Economist.

It is your claims that are false.

From where does that $1 in SNAP benefits come?

From the pockets of other Americans.

$1.84
$1.00
------
$0.84

It's only $0.84 in GDP and you haven't proven that not spending the money on SNAP wouldn't generate higher GDP.

In other words, if you didn't forcibly take $1 from Americans and redistribute it to other Americans, your GDP might actually increase $2.31 for each $1 not taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I researched the OPs link.

That story aired 6 years ago in july 2008 when President Bush was still president of the US.

Nobody can tell me he didn't know that and if they do, I won't believe it.
Good for you.

Now, only if you would be that vigilant with your Göbbels-loving brethren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Really no offense but some of you need to get a grip, the SNAP program feeds millions of American citizens, MILLIONS!
But is it necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
The free market would rather such people starve and die in the streets. So those programs are needed.
Misrepresentation
If the misrepresentation occurs on purpose, then it is an example of lying. If the misrepresentation occurs during a debate in which there is misrepresentation of the opponent’s claim, then it would be the cause of a straw man fallacy.

Those programs are not needed at the federal level. States are capable of taxing and administering those programs.

There is no logical reason for the federal government to run the program, except to wield and abuse power.

It never occurred to you that implementing Free Market reforms in your monopoly Soviet-style medical system would prevent Hospitals from charging $55,000 for an appendectomy that costs $2,800 and the
$55,200 that was stolen by your monopoly Soviet-style medical system would stay in your economy creating jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yeah, bull****. I always love that right wing argument, in which they regularly see or know someone who dines on lobster while driving a luxury car on social assistance .
Moosewood Court.

How soon can you get there?

Take your time.....the Cadillac SUVs aren't going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob30 View Post
Their is no such thing as "food stamps" anymore since it is a EBT Card instead so you can't trade it for cash or other things.
The Kroger store on Vine Street....how soon can you get there? Well, too late now, store's closing, but if you were there, about half-a-dozen people would hit you up with Food Stamp Fraud.

Quote:
Others have suggested people go to "soup" kitchens to get their meals! Really how are they going to get there in the first place?
Supplemental Transportation Assistance Program?

Taxi-Stamps?

Obamacars?

They can walk or ride the bus.....just spread a rumor that they'll have free dope and beer there and they'll find a way to get there.

Quote:
The 'SNAP" program is very thorough as to who qualifies so you basically have to jump hurdles to prove that aid is needed.
No you don't.

Jumping through hurdles would be documenting where 99% of your income was spent using receipts.

Quote:
Lastly it seems people are upset at what they buy! Why? That is none of your business how the poor should eat.
It is my business when I'm paying for it.

It's also my business when I'm footing the medical bills resulting from what people eat.

[quote=BruSan;38044906]Even your military are resorting to supplements to feed their families.

Quote:
Let's not mention how many people in Uniform are on "food stamps" while serving our country which is a shame to begin with that they are not making enough money to even feed themselves or their families!
Military families have been on Food Stamps since at least the 1970s.

Didn't you watch the segment on 60 Minutes that aired in the 1970s? There was another segment that aired in the 1980s.

Since neither of you have any idea what you're talking about, you should probably just cease discussing the matter, or study it in detail.

You can start with the relevant DOD regulations relating to military pay and benefits and authorized status.

Supplementing...

Mircea

Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Except....those people dont vote nearly as much as you seem to think. And even more interesting is that as the years have gone by they are beginning to vote Republican at a higher rate then they have in the past (although the majority are still voting democrat).

So....as handouts go out...the Republicans are gaining votes....Wait....that doesn't match your narrative does it?
Great to point that out.
A large portion of SNAP participants are seniors on fixed income. Seniors notoriously sit around and B!Tc# about everything, then load up their monthly SNAP card, cash the social security check, renew their Medicare Advantage plan, then vote republican. The very people who plan to take all of this away.

Go figure

Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yeah, bull****. I always love that right wing argument, in which they regularly see or know someone who dines on lobster while driving a luxury car on social assistance .

I don't care who eats lobster if they are paying for it themselves.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM

720 posts, read 706,014 times
I do agree, Most look as if they could do a days work. Job training would be much cheaper and hopefully in 2016 we will get an administration that knows how America works and turn the private sector loose to began creating jobs. On the other hand my elderly parents, who have worked all their lives, and are now on a very limited fixed income, need a little assistance i.e. food stamps. The amount they received was barely enough to get them by each month. Then comes Obama care, their amount of stamps were cut by one third to fund the albatross. Then their Social Security was also cut for the same reason. Now they don't have enough money for utilities and food each month. I would take care of my parents regardless of were they received assistance or not. My grip is all those people that are able to work, own new vehicles and play the system while the ones who really need it are systematically shut out by politicians all in the guise of compassion.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
$925 a month?! Christ on a cross, most working people don't have a food budget like that and their kids aren't getting fed for free at school.
Agreed. I do get food stamps but; I pay ALL of my rent and utilities by myself. Too; I actually have a job but the wages are low and, decent jobs ain't real easy to find anymore, especially for people with PTSD who are pushing 50.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:46 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Get rid of food stamps and use that money for soup kitchens to provide low cost healthy meals and at the same time job training.
You think that won't cost more? Who's going to cook all that food, manage the kitchen, increase capacity since more people will be coming in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Let them use their food stamps for staples only: fish, meat,vegetables, fruit, flour, sugar, milk,bread, cheese.

Everhthing else should be on them.
No beans, pasta, rice, oatmeal, cereal, eggs, salt, butter, nuts, peanut butter, juice, baby food or formula ... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies