Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that it's okay for food stamp recipients to buy steak and lobster because it supports business. I'm not saying they should eat dog food, but if they're able afford luxury items they're either a) not truly in need or b) receiving way too much money.
Hmm i kinda at a loss, what does it matter if someone is buying choice cut meat on SNAP? And im kinda at a loss at this "handout" mentality im hearing from people. If ive paid taxes into supporting SNAP and after 30 years of work i need SNAP to help get by, how is that a handout? Ive paid into the system, like i assume alot of people have on SNAP? Its there when you qualify for it too. So if I paid into the SNAP program? Who are you to say i can or can't buy meat if i choose too? I don't understand the logic.

The truth is there probably very little amount of lifers on SNAP or those who haven't paid into the system. There is time limits and rules to SNAP.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-16-2015 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
In those cases feed the kids at school and cut the money entirely for their leeching parents.
But what about the thousands of jobs and billions in money the SNAP program creates for non poor or non clients? Don't you know welfare and social services programs are big business now?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-16-2015 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 PM

7,508 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It is getting harder to know who needs and who is using it. Women producing children they can't take care of needs to stop. Man need to not be able to walk away from those 5 kids.....holding adults more responsible from producing children will be a good path for all. I knew women back in the 80's getting pregnant, just so they didn't have to work.

Only the disabled (physically & mentally) and seniors should get this help, young people need to work for their money.
You will never hear a liberal tell you there are to many or to much of a hand out. It's the way they live. Pathetic but true.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
I do agree, Most look as if they could do a days work. Job training would be much cheaper and hopefully in 2016 we will get an administration that knows how America works and turn the private sector loose to began creating jobs. On the other hand my elderly parents, who have worked all their lives, and are now on a very limited fixed income, need a little assistance i.e. food stamps. The amount they received was barely enough to get them by each month. Then comes Obama care, their amount of stamps were cut by one third to fund the albatross. Then their Social Security was also cut for the same reason. Now they don't have enough money for utilities and food each month. I would take care of my parents regardless of were they received assistance or not. My grip is all those people that are able to work, own new vehicles and play the system while the ones who really need it are systematically shut out by politicians all in the guise of compassion.
The food stamp program was cut by the states with Republican legislatures and by the republican controlled congress that separated the Farm bill into two parts. Subsidies for the agrabusiness farmers and food stamps for those in need. The republican congress raised the subsidies and lowered the SNAP allotment and disqualified close to a million people. Had nothing to do with Obamacare

Another round of food stamp cuts in states
"The state cuts target a relatively small portion of the food stamp population: low-income able-bodied adults, without children, 18 to 50 years old -- estimated to be about 10% of the more than 47 million in the program. In some states, recipients are losing benefits because of reinstated work requirements as a condition of qualifying for food stamps.
These cuts come on top of an across-the-board 5% reduction of benefits to all food stamp recipients' benefits last November. As part of the farm bill earlier this year, Congress also closed a loophole and cut benefits for 850,000 households, although many states affected are moving to block the cuts for now.

There have been no cuts to social security by the federal government or by the Social Security Administration. They were considering using a different method for calculating COLA that would have reduced increases but that has been off the table for three years. It also had nothing to do with Obamacare.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It is getting harder to know who needs and who is using it. Women producing children they can't take care of needs to stop. Man need to not be able to walk away from those 5 kids.....holding adults more responsible from producing children will be a good path for all. I knew women back in the 80's getting pregnant, just so they didn't have to work.

Only the disabled (physically & mentally) and seniors should get this help, young people need to work for their money.
This also kinda puts me at a loss? What is the percentage of SNAP recipients who are single moms producing multiple children to get SNAP? Further, who knows of any fathers whos children are getting SNAP that are not ordered to pay 30% of there income for child support that goes back to pay for SNAP cost? Sure they maynot pay now and yes it may appear they may walk away but they will pay every cent owed eventually unless they die or become totally disabled? 100% enforced.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:27 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times
Can't feed them, don't breed them. They're not society's problem.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:39 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Way, way too late to effectively undo a system of indoctrination that has corrupted at least four generations of people to believe and be dependent upon government entitlements. Even your military are resorting to supplements to feed their families.

Purchasing of votes was what it was all about and remains it's underpinnings to this very day. That's not going to change because you merely change a party in power. Either of the two desire re-election and dismantling of ANY freebies will be the very last thing either party will ever do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUW2vCPX7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-0xJb_FM4

You are now at the crossroads of either having another revolution, or just 'suck-it-up-buttercup' and continue moaning about a 'fait-accompli'.
It can be restructured to emphasize education so these people can become productive members of society, no education= no freebies.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:49 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,885,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hmm i kinda at a loss, what does it matter if someone is buying choice cut meat on SNAP?
It goes to two things:

1) Fairness: People are getting taxed to provide a benefit to people who then use it to buy nicer things than some of the people getting taxed budget/allow for themselves.

2) Waste: The point of SNAP (from the center and right POV) is to keep Americans fed who otherwise wouldn't have enough to eat. If beneficiaries have enough to buy luxury items with the money then clearly we're spending more than is needed to achieve that goal.

Quote:
And im kinda at a loss at this "handout" mentality im hearing from people. If ive paid taxes into supporting SNAP and after 30 years of work i need SNAP to help get by, how is that a handout? Ive paid into the system, like i assume alot of people have on SNAP? Its there when you qualify for it too. So if I paid into the SNAP program? Who are you to say i can or can't buy meat if i choose too? I don't understand the logic.

The truth is there probably very little amount of lifers on SNAP or those who haven't paid into the system. There is time limits and rules to SNAP.
I and I think most other people on the right are perfectly okay with you and people like you who over their lives are net contributors and need a temporary safety net. That said, I really doubt that most of the money spent is going towards people like yourself rather than chronic users and people who never paid in adequately -- if you have data saying otherwise please share.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:40 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Here's a thought:

Stop pumping out kids, so you don't need to worry about feeding 5-8 kids.

The lady in the Armani shirt just needs to ask her drug dealer boyfriend (if she has one) for some extra money for food.

And, $925 a month? Hell, I can live frugally on much less.

Stop buying the Lobster and the T-bones and instead get some ground beef with your food stamps, so you can eat much further and longer.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Because of outrage from the public, the state finally took her card away.

lottery winner on food stamps

That's because Michigan had a poorly designed policy which stupidly disregarded one-time windfalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies