Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tituspullo View Post
Requiring the employer to PAY a living wage WILL work
if these poor people made enuff money at their jobs
they would not qualify for any social programs

Got It?
Wouldn't it be simpler and just as plausible to provide everyone with a unicorn with hundred dollar bills stuck on its horn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Requiring the employer to PAY a living wage WILL work
if these poor people made enuff money at their jobs
they would not qualify for any social programs

Got It?
What you are asking is that employers foot the bill for underemployed people.

That 16 year old can live just fine on min wage.
But now we have adults flipping burgers as a career.

The problem in America is deeper than just increasing min wage.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler and just as plausible to provide everyone with a unicorn with hundred dollar bills stuck on its horn?
Bwhaha!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Yes you are absolutely correct

greedy so called job creators took their taxcuts and outsourced all the good paying jobs so adults who cant find anything better have to take any job available to them ...and none pay a living wage

creating the need for all those social welfare programs
That outsourcing and offshoring has been happening for near 50 years, one industry at a time.
Folks who lost their jobs in those industries spoke out but no one listened.
Why ? Because offshoring gave them cheaper goods, that's why.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:44 AM

211 posts, read 165,027 times
Sounds like a good idea...when it starts hitting the corporations in the pocket MAYBE they will raise their wages.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
The minimum wage should be high enough so that if someone is working full-time, they wouldn't be eligible for Food Stamps or Medicaid. Otherwise, the taxpayer is subsidizing employer's low wages.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_topics View Post
In the year 2015 maybe about 25% of all jobs pay at a rate that allows full time workers to get government benefits. Even if the current people who are working in these jobs get training and move out of the low wage workplace someone else will take their place. So the argument that low wage workers just need to get more skills and education to move up does not really help the situation. Face it, no matter who is working in these jobs at any time, a large number of jobs in America pay under $10 an hour. And these are the jobs that are growing in today's economy. If you want a job, these are the jobs the typical American can get. And they are not jobs for kids and senior citizens anymore. Lots of the folks working at McDonalds are bring up a family on that job's income.

So, who should pay for the government benefits for the 25% of households whose primary bread winner is making $8 an hour or less than $20K a year?

Is it the responsibility of the employers of low wage labor? Or every taxpayer? Or should we just eliminate things like Food Stamps, reduced lunches at school, Medicaid, government paid housing, etc. for people who work?

Remember, someone is going to be doing these low wage jobs regardless of the hopes and dreams of people in them today.
Here we have the quickest way for a massive layoff of employees. You're on food stamps? Sorry, going to have to let you go.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Of course not. An individual FTE at that hourly rate would still net a wage above poverty guidelines. Add a second worker (spouse, i.e.) at that rate and, well, you get the picture.

Oh, and don't have kids until YOU can afford them. Unwed motherhood is the surest route to poverty.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many minimum wage jobs are designed to be less than full time especially in restaurants and fast food where shifts fluctuate based on customer traffic. If business is slow, managers send employees home early. These minimum wage employers hate to pay overtime especially when corporate cost constraints are enforced. I once worked a 48-hour week due to unusually high customer traffic. My boss hired a few more people and reduced my scheduled hours accordingly in order to ensure I was never again paid overtime.
I doubt that was the reason. Overtime hours, even with 1 1/2 time pay, are typically the least expensive hours for the employer. The fixed cost per employee, which is based upon a 40 hour week, don't change, benefits don't change, unemployement insurance and L&I insurance don't change. So the only "cost" is the direct pay to the employee. It's more likely that productivity went down when working employees over 40 hours a week, or they wanted additional bodies to cover for absentees, ect.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:34 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I guess other areas are harder hit than my area is, or people just have a different mentality. I have several younger relatives and friends kids facing today's economy. One currently is working as an electrical apprentice and is taking classes for his journeyman's card...while having no college and marginal grades in HS, and is making good money. Another took a basic 6 week welding class at a local CC, worked with 2-3 companies and now in his mid-30s is 2nd in command and VP of a ~100 person company. Another went to the military, did his 3-4 years and is now working his way up in a machine shop, doing web design and customer service. Another started out in fast food, and at ~21 is a manager, and being trained for higher (corporate) positions. I honestly can't say that I know any younger people that are doing nothing and living in their parent's basement, or flipping burgers. It seems as if the opportunities are out there for young people with some drive, skills and a willingness to put forth some effort. As opposed to say crying on the interweb about how they can't improve themselves and get a decent job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies