Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 01:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree people are misguided that think the answer is just for "the rich" to pay more in taxes.

Bureacracy will never solve anything-the Government only wants more, more, more.
They people who support higher taxes on the "other guy" will never understand it until it hits their pockets. It's time to turn it around on them and show them how greedy government is. They'll never understand it if they are able to continue to get away with not reporting their income and keep all their money without giving a piece to government.

They ignore government waste and are convince that government needs more.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:35 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ignore them. You're talking to people who think living off welfare is the same as living in a nice, wonderful, gated community where the entire (black) household eats lobster tail for dinner every night the whole month

Because it's easier to pidgeonhole an entire group of people than actually doing some real empirical thinking. It hurts their little brains.

...just saying.

Just a note, you pay taxes on just about everything. You need to be more specific on what taxes you're bitching about.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It is a MEANINGFUL statistic value. Why is 43% taken from some while only 13% is taken from others?

And where was equal incomes to everyone regardless of job or skill level ever guaranteed? Anyone who wants a higher income? Earn it. Stop stealing from those who have done so.
Why? Because they have much more to begin with. That's the whole point of progressive taxation.
I am not asking for equal income (although I would not be against it, either), but realistic income differences, not absurd and insulting ones like at the moment. Earn vs deserve, the key question here...

Quote:
They spend their money on food, clothing, and shelter. Just like the $30k earner.
Well, if someone earns that much and spends it on luxury, it is silly to say they can't afford to pay more taxes. What's next, millionaires asking for food stamps because they are spending all their income on penthouses and yachts?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,126,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Well, if someone earns that much and spends it on luxury, it is silly to say they can't afford to pay more taxes. What's next, millionaires asking for food stamps because they are spending all their income on penthouses and yachts?

No millionaires asking for food stamps because they got so much taken out of their paycheck for welfare that they don't have enough left to live on....

Old 01-21-2015, 02:34 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
The chart I posted includes ALL local, state and federal taxes, including income, property, sales, excise, corporate, estate, etc., taxes:

(Data Sources, two liberal think tanks: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy)

(The images appearing in this post do not violate copyright law. The Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc. ruling in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit explained why the method of inline linking which causes the images to appear in this post does not violate US copyright law.)

The bottom quintile's total local, state, and federal tax rate is 13%. The middle quintile: 25%. The top 1 percent: 43%

Anyone who thinks the top 1% gets out of paying taxes is STUNNINGLY ignorant. STUNNINGLY so.

Please stop choosing to remain ignorant. You're being used as a tool.
Theres some stunning ignorance going on all right. Sooo look at the top 1% rates there. yeah. they pay a 35% effective federal rate? You know better. Come on, we've chatted enough *I* know you know better.

Please stop posting misleading information. You're being used as a tool.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea as always, liberal convenient hearing and thinking.
LOL Yes, that's it.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If you know someone is on disability and shouldn't be, video them and report them. If you know someone is working under the table encourage the people paying the to send them a 1099 at the end of the year. It's time to turn these freeloaders who want others to pay more to pick up their slack.

Make them pay their fair share so we don't have to pick up their slack.
That would be like all the 1%ers.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:42 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why? Because they have much more to begin with.
So what? Some people are taller than others. Some people are fitter than others. Should the taller and/or fitter be taxed more than others simply because of that? I and many others say NO!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sooo look at the top 1% rates there. yeah. they pay a 35% effective federal rate?
Combined federal income, payroll, excise, corporate, estate, etc., tax rate? Yes. Or do you somehow by some magic superpower completely negate actual IRS data?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:56 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,644 times
If they get taxed more, when they already don't make very much, to pay their fair share, then wouldn't that result in less take home pay, less money to live off of, and thus they'll be even more broke and in need of more assistance. In any case at my last job I was shocked at how much the recent grads were taxed on their already meager salaries. They all made $14.50 an hour, and we live in the east coast so it wasn't as if that was enough to live off of as is but they were taxed like crazy-one guy that I trained told me about how much was deducted from his check and I was surprised. This group-of recent grads-well they are in the bottom 50 percent. If they pay even more in taxes then I suspect they would take even longer to leave mom and dads couch and get on there feet. Additionally they already pay taxes, and pay a share, perhaps not as much as someone that makes 5 dollars more, but they are paying into the system. And minimum wage workers that make even less than the recent grads, well they pay taxes too. But if they were taxed even more, on what little they already make, that would also mean that they would need more help to afford the basics:shelter, food, clothes.
I hate when people abuse the system too, but come on, the bottom percentage that isn't paying fair share is probably pretty broke as is.
Even the friend I have that does abuse the system, she doesn't make very much--she doesn't need the assistance but taxing her more would put her in a position where she would need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies