Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 01:16 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And there it is, businesses should be able to pay people less to increase their own profits. That is the type of answer I expect to hear from the right wing. Thank you for that.
Again, not a right winger, but I do understand the nature of business, and profit is blood and oxygen to business. It dies without it.
Quote:
If I am hiring a contractor to do work, I am paying him what he thinks his work is worth, I don't need to ask him any personal questions to help him assess what he is worth.
Exactly, which is all I am suggesting any employer do. If I offer you a job at $8 an hour, you either say yes because you feel you are worth that much or less, or you decline it because you feel you are worth more. I cannot force you to take a job for a wage you do not find acceptable, same as you cannot force a contractor to a job in your house for a wage they find beneath their value.
Quote:
At the grocery store, I do expect the person helping me to be paid enough to not need government assistance for their labor they are providing to that company. If a company cannot pay employees enough so that they don't need government assistance, then that company shouldn't be hiring employees until they figure out how to increase their profits.
What if the cashier went berserk into credit card debt, and even at $15 an hour, it's all she can do to just pay her credit card bill? Ins't her required living wage now higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
Quote:
And there it is, businesses should be able to pay people less to increase their own profits. That is the type of answer I expect to hear from the right wing. Thank you for that.

If I am hiring a contractor to do work, I am paying him what he thinks his work is worth, I don't need to ask him any personal questions to help him assess what he is worth.

At the grocery store, I do expect the person helping me to be paid enough to not need government assistance for their labor they are providing to that company. If a company cannot pay employees enough so that they don't need government assistance, then that company shouldn't be hiring employees until they figure out how to increase their profits.
"And there it is, businesses should be able to pay people less to increase their own profits."

OK, so why are private sector companies in business? Are they there to lose money? Should their be a limit on how much they can make?

You probably people like Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Any idea what he's worth?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I don't really care what right wingers do, say or think. I am a libertarian.

And it isn't an excuse. 75% of the employed workforce make more than $10 an hour. That's what you call "the vast majority" of people. Guess they've solved that whole "make more than minimum wage" dilemma.
Libertarians can be right wingers too, in a political spectrum, you would fall very much on the right side based on your posts.

How much of the employed workforce make more than $15 an hour? That is what we are talking about for people to be able to get off government assistance that you right wingers claim needs to happen. The dilemma is getting right wingers to understand that.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
That's exactly what G.E. did.

GE celebrates workers while moving their jobs to China

Old 01-23-2015, 01:21 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
"And there it is, businesses should be able to pay people less to increase their own profits."

OK, so why are private sector companies in business? Are they there to lose money? Should their be a limit on how much they can make?

You probably people like Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Any idea what he's worth?
So by your logic, if a business has the option of hiring a recent high school graduate for 10.00 an hour and paying for their government required FICA, Medicare, etc,......... OR........hiring an illegal for 6.00 an hour to do the same job, then by business ethics standards, the employer should hire the illegal alien?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Then that is called minimum motivation, but it is still motivation. You cannot deny that. No one is saying someone who works is special....unless they are a CEO it seems because that title somehow makes people think they are special. What we are talking about is the labor one does, even if it is at the minimum should be enough to make it so they don't also need government assistance.
Then stop giving people government assistance and we are both happy.

The simple fact is some tasks are not worth paying someone a "living wage" to do. If what you are proposing is implemented then millions of people will be out of work and many businesses closed with the portion of living wage jobs that they do employee as well. Sounds like a great plan.

If you are worried about the wages of the "working poor" you should be championing closeing the border and deporting illegals as they are the ones increasing the supply of non/low skilled workers keeping prices down. Of course this would also cause the prices of products to go up, hope you are ready for that.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What other bills? The question was whether a person can live on $15k a year, and the clear answer is yes.

BTW, what exactly do you disagree with on the USDA's food cost calculations?
I question a number of your expenses that came in way too low. And your food plan is the thrifty option, so plan on being hungry and losing weight, especially if your job involves any manual labor.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defau...2006Report.pdf

Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
Quote:
That's a false statement, CEOs are not paid according to their value. Though it is funny that you then run off to entertainment for examples. All of that is purely made up values. Tom Hanks makes big money when his movies sell, if they stop selling then he doesn't make money. He is a great actor which brings big value regardless how much he is being paid.
Ok, so if CEOs aren't paid based on the value they bring, why are they paid well? Luck?

My reason for bringing up entertainers is because the value they provide is subjective. Tom's Hanks and Beyoncé's contracts are set well before the movie hits the theatre or concert tour kicks off.
I brought them up because while the big bad rich CEO doesn't deserve what he makes, somehow an actor or singer does?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Again, not a right winger, but I do understand the nature of business, and profit is blood and oxygen to business. It dies without it.
Yes you are a right wing libertarian whether you admit that to yourself or not.

Quote:
Exactly, which is all I am suggesting any employer do. If I offer you a job at $8 an hour, you either say yes because you feel you are worth that much or less, or you decline it because you feel you are worth more. I cannot force you to take a job for a wage you do not find acceptable, same as you cannot force a contractor to a job in your house for a wage they find beneath their value.

What if the cashier went berserk into credit card debt, and even at $15 an hour, it's all she can do to just pay her credit card bill? Ins't her required living wage now higher?
So what you are saying is everyone making less than $15 an hour should all quit their jobs and start demanding a higher value until we all make $15 or more?

Well that cashier would be one individual, we would have to look at this in a larger spectrum of an entire workforce. Did most cashiers also go into massive credit card debt? The fact that it is extremely easy to get a credit card in this country is another issue for another thread.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
There are jobs here actually...min wage and more but still 8,9,10$ an hour is NOT ENOUGH to live off of. 15$ sounds good...and we could easily make do.
I already have shown that a person could live off of $8 an hour. You're just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
Yawn. I could collect unemployment that pays more than 8$ an hour.
I have no doubt that you could and probably would.

Right out of high school I was motivated enough to leave my $5 an hour job and make $20 an hour hanging wallpaper while going to community college. Sure, it meant that I had to work for free while going to school and doing my other job, but then I was able to quit the other job and have all the $20 per hour work I wanted.

If my memory of your other posts are correct, I was making more per hour right out of high school back in the 80's than you make right now. If I remember your post where you discuss your household income, I made quite a bit more per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies