Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Actually, you are wrong. SCOTUS upheld keeping a loaded gun in your home is protected under the 2nd amendment.
They're still in denial over that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You can keep a gun in your home. With permission you can carry one outside your home.
LOL, I don't need permission to carry a gun outside my home. I only need to seek pernmission if I want to carry it legally, and therein lies the crux of the matter. Gun control is a fallacy. Just ask the criminals who are walking around with guns in your city right now, as I type this.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-01-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Just a few stories about defensive use of guns, with references to the news source where they were reported.

A mother and her 13-year-old son were at the corner store when two men approached them and opened fire, shooting the teen in both feet. The mother responded by pulling out her gun and returning fire. She said she recognized one of the suspects as a man who had been harassing her for years. She had been so concerned about the harassment that she got a concealed carry license. The suspects fled, firing as they ran, but were later captured. One was being held on $250,000 bond, and police say charges are pending against the other man involved in the incident. The 13-year-old has been discharged from the hospital and is recovering. (myfox28columbus.com, Columbus, Ohio, 11/11/2014)

San Antonio police said a would-be robber of a Subway restaurant was stopped by a man with a gun. Witnesses said the suspect demanded money from an employee and threatened to shoot. That’s when a man who had been waiting outside saw what was going on, entered the establishment, drew his concealed handgun and pointed it at the suspect. The miscreant then ran away without taking anything. No injuries were reported. (San Antonio Express-News, San Antonio, Texas, 11/19/2014)

Two Orange County brothers, Barry and Terah Frost, secured their elderly mother in an interior room of their residence before investigating a suspicious noise in the wee hours of the morning. A 23-year-old armed stranger had entered the home. After Barry found the man in the basement, the intruder attacked, punching him and brandishing a knife. Terah then entered the room and shot and killed the intruder. Police said the crime appeared to be random. (Times-Mail, Bedford, Ind., 11/26/14)

While Ted Moss was walking his dogs in Grant Park one day, he saw a buck and a doe. The doe ran off, but the buck came out of the woods and attacked Rowdy, the man’s black Labrador. Moss, who has a concealed carry permit, fired his pistol to run the buck off. Rowdy was taken to a veterinarian for emergency surgery and was expected to recover. Though such deer attacks are rare, the Milwaukee County Parks Department advises people to keep dogs on leashes, especially during deer mating season. (WISN-TV, Milwaukee, Wis., 11/6/2014)

A man who brought a 13-inch serrated hunting knife to the supermarket learned that picking an argument with a stranger can be a bad idea. Police reported that the knife-wielder confronted an older man for “looking at [him] for no reason,” and threatened to “cut” him. The man asked the aggressor several times to drop the knife, but he refused and charged at the older man, who has a valid permit to carry a firearm. The older man defended himself with his 9 mm Glock, sending the assailant to the hospital with a groin injury. (Philly Confidential Daily News, Philadelphia, Pa., 10/29/2014)

On Election Day 2014, Jonathan McCormick was at home watching television. His wife was asleep nearby and his children were out playing when a man wearing a bandanna entered, stuck a pistol to McCormick’s head and demanded money. McCormick emptied his pockets, but the robber demanded more. While the suspect turned his focus to McCormick’s wife, McCormick went into another room and retrieved a .45-caliber pistol. He pointed it at the masked man and repeatedly asked him to leave. Instead, the trespasser raised his gun, prompting McCormick to shoot him. The robber later died. While no charges were filed against him, McCormick has received threats against his family via social media. He responded, “What would you do if someone came in and pointed a gun at your family? Who wouldn’t do the same?” (The Tennessean, Antioch, Tenn., 11/16/2014)

Police arrested a 32-year-old North Hills-area man for allegedly trying to rape a woman while she was sleeping. The woman awoke with a man on top of her making sexual advances. She resisted, screamed and pulled his hair before freeing herself and running to the closet for a shotgun. The woman pointed the gun at the intruder and told him to get out of the house. He began dressing frantically and fled, but not before she recognized him as the son of a neighbor. Later, the suspect was arrested, arraigned on numerous charges and committed to the county jail. (New Castle News, New Castle, Pa., 11/11/2014)

Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Also the switch from double action revolvers to striker fired semi-autos like Glocks has led to a big increase in the number of unintended discharges. There's even a new medical condition that reflects this: "Glockfoot".
I have owned Glocks since they first came out in the mid- 1980's, and have never had an accidental discharge. I follow Col. Cooper's 4 simple rules.
Cooper's Four Rules

People need to know their limitations. If a Glock is unmanageable, so is a double action revolver.
What .357 Will Do to a Hand – Negligent Discharge & Safety Reminder – Caution: Graphic Photo

I used to do a lot of my own work on my cars, but today's cars with rampant electronics are beyond me. Other than changing oil and changing headlights, I take it in to my mechanic and write a check. I know my limitations.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Yes, it is a myth....just as the thread title stats....

The only people who bring this up, are anti gunners....why is that?

Please show me where anyone who is pro-gun talks like that?

Same with the wild wild west....the ONLY people who say that are the anti gunners....

But, since it happens, I'll take a website for this "wild wild west" that the pro gun people say they want....

Old 02-02-2015, 01:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
The Second. Enough said.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM

137 posts, read 144,350 times
Break it down racially, take African Americans out of the mix, and I bet the numbers are very, very, very different.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
LOL, I don't need permission to carry a gun outside my home. I only need to seek pernmission if I want to carry it legally, and therein lies the crux of the matter. Gun control is a fallacy. Just ask the criminals who are walking around with guns in your city right now, as I type this.
Actually I asked the police. They say it's really good to be able to seize the guns of the low lifes wandering armed around the city. Seems to be working.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Just a few stories about defensive use of guns, with references to the news source where they were reported.

A mother and her 13-year-old son were at the corner store when two men approached them and opened fire, shooting the teen in both feet. The mother responded by pulling out her gun and returning fire. She said she recognized one of the suspects as a man who had been harassing her for years. She had been so concerned about the harassment that she got a concealed carry license. The suspects fled, firing as they ran, but were later captured. One was being held on $250,000 bond, and police say charges are pending against the other man involved in the incident. The 13-year-old has been discharged from the hospital and is recovering. (myfox28columbus.com, Columbus, Ohio, 11/11/2014)

San Antonio police said a would-be robber of a Subway restaurant was stopped by a man with a gun. Witnesses said the suspect demanded money from an employee and threatened to shoot. That’s when a man who had been waiting outside saw what was going on, entered the establishment, drew his concealed handgun and pointed it at the suspect. The miscreant then ran away without taking anything. No injuries were reported. (San Antonio Express-News, San Antonio, Texas, 11/19/2014)

Two Orange County brothers, Barry and Terah Frost, secured their elderly mother in an interior room of their residence before investigating a suspicious noise in the wee hours of the morning. A 23-year-old armed stranger had entered the home. After Barry found the man in the basement, the intruder attacked, punching him and brandishing a knife. Terah then entered the room and shot and killed the intruder. Police said the crime appeared to be random. (Times-Mail, Bedford, Ind., 11/26/14)

While Ted Moss was walking his dogs in Grant Park one day, he saw a buck and a doe. The doe ran off, but the buck came out of the woods and attacked Rowdy, the man’s black Labrador. Moss, who has a concealed carry permit, fired his pistol to run the buck off. Rowdy was taken to a veterinarian for emergency surgery and was expected to recover. Though such deer attacks are rare, the Milwaukee County Parks Department advises people to keep dogs on leashes, especially during deer mating season. (WISN-TV, Milwaukee, Wis., 11/6/2014)

A man who brought a 13-inch serrated hunting knife to the supermarket learned that picking an argument with a stranger can be a bad idea. Police reported that the knife-wielder confronted an older man for “looking at [him] for no reason,” and threatened to “cut” him. The man asked the aggressor several times to drop the knife, but he refused and charged at the older man, who has a valid permit to carry a firearm. The older man defended himself with his 9 mm Glock, sending the assailant to the hospital with a groin injury. (Philly Confidential Daily News, Philadelphia, Pa., 10/29/2014)

On Election Day 2014, Jonathan McCormick was at home watching television. His wife was asleep nearby and his children were out playing when a man wearing a bandanna entered, stuck a pistol to McCormick’s head and demanded money. McCormick emptied his pockets, but the robber demanded more. While the suspect turned his focus to McCormick’s wife, McCormick went into another room and retrieved a .45-caliber pistol. He pointed it at the masked man and repeatedly asked him to leave. Instead, the trespasser raised his gun, prompting McCormick to shoot him. The robber later died. While no charges were filed against him, McCormick has received threats against his family via social media. He responded, “What would you do if someone came in and pointed a gun at your family? Who wouldn’t do the same?” (The Tennessean, Antioch, Tenn., 11/16/2014)

Police arrested a 32-year-old North Hills-area man for allegedly trying to rape a woman while she was sleeping. The woman awoke with a man on top of her making sexual advances. She resisted, screamed and pulled his hair before freeing herself and running to the closet for a shotgun. The woman pointed the gun at the intruder and told him to get out of the house. He began dressing frantically and fled, but not before she recognized him as the son of a neighbor. Later, the suspect was arrested, arraigned on numerous charges and committed to the county jail. (New Castle News, New Castle, Pa., 11/11/2014)
So in a country of 300 million you can come up with seven stories that support your narrative. Very impressive.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 PM

920 posts, read 634,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
FYI - argumentum ad hominem, means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments.

For example:
  • Hitler's Nazi Govt outlawed Abortions and invented interstates.
  • Does this mean Interstates and out lawing of abortions are bad, because Hitler did them?
Slate, by itself, shouldn't be enough to discredit a source. . . .as Slate isn't the source of the data. Slate didn't come up with the report Gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. - PubMed - NCBI

Fox News and Jon Stewart have both been right/wrong on occasion. Blind squirrel can find an acorn and such.
The fact that thousands of people a day stop violence against themselves as a result of carrying a firearm or having one in their home for protection is NEVER reported in the MSM. Even if such reports were available, they would not be widely publicized because it defeats the gun control narrative that progressives in government support.

The Defensive Gun Use Statistics

Guns in America | Facts and statistics about firearms in the USA

December 2012 Defensive Gun Use Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies