Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I can learn to shoot and I have with a rifle, not a handgun. However I've never shot a living thing with one. Shooting a living thing whether it is animal or human is different. It is mentally draining and stressful to be a good guy with a gun. Not every case will be the guy getting shot by 5 people trying to rob a gun store, maybe only a handful. I am for gun safety, not this hogwash that any good person with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun, bullcrap.
Concealed Carrier Kills Restaurant Active Shooter In Houston | Bearing Arms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 03:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Far more impressive than anything you have offered up in your plethora of posts here. Thus far, all I have seen from you is smug, elitist, pompous commentary , revolving around information gleaned from, rabidly, anti 2A sources, and hour own, personal contempt for armed citizens.

It is quite obvious that violent crime has never touched you or someone you care about. If it had, methinks you would not be so easily resting in arrogant judgement on those of us who take our personal safety and security as a personal responsibility. Total reliance on LE and simple situational awareness is NOT sufficient. If one is not totally prepared and totally willing, to protect that, which matters most, there is someone out there who WILL take that from you, and they don't care a whit about higher intellect, enlightenment and that you understand that they have been driven , by society, to be the vermin that they are.

They do care, that they might be risking a couple 230 grain Hydro Shocks, delivered to their center of mass, or that halfway through the window, 15 00 buckshot pellets might toss them right back out. We armed citizens, that have actually faced the Beast, are under no delusions as to the implications and after math of having to defend ourselves, either. We know, all to well, that having to do so is not going to result in a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Truly, you are totally misinformed and, it seems, willfully ignorant, of the truth of things. In a way, Im happy for you. Its good that you have never experienced a violent, criminal attack, against yourself or someone you love. However, I can easily discard any good feeling for that, because of the naked contempt your good fortune allows you to have for those of us who have not been as lucky, and have, and will continue to be, armed for the defense of our loved ones and ourselves.

So long as there are those who wish me and mine harm, prowling about out there, I will continue to be ready to meet them, head on. Not one single inch will I give them. I care nothing for whatever situations , in their lives, that have made them what they are. It is sufficient, that they ARE what they are. A rabid dog is what it is, through no fault of its own, big that doesn't change the fact it must be put down. The same applies to the feral and violent , bipedal predators, of our world.
And yet I live in a big "violent" city and you live in a wasteland. I walk about free of harm on a daily basis and you huddle under your bed with a cache of arms.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:40 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So how many would satisfy you? The CDC reports anywhere from several hundred thousand to millions of "stories" every year, but that's not good enough for you is it because what you really want is to get rid of guns FACTS don't matter to you.

Here are about 7,000 more stories, is that enough to convince you? No, of course not because you aren't interested in the facts. https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/ you probably consider the NRA the anti christ so here's another site (which you still won't believe or accept) Armed Citizen Stories Archives | THE ARMED CITIZEN
EPIC FAIL. The CDC reports no such thing.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:23 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
And yet I live in a big "violent" city and you live in a wasteland. I walk about free of harm on a daily basis and you huddle under your bed with a cache of arms.
ROFLMAO!!! Thanks , for making my case for me, in the most certain terms possible. A masters degree in smug, elitism, with a minor in pompous, self grloification. Must look good on your resume'. Since you know so much about me, tell me, do you work for the NSA? Also, what is this "wasteland" you think I live in? Everyone in NV does not live in Gibbs or Hawthorne.

Not that that matters. Regardless of where someone lives, you can run across a violent criminal. Its not as if that species is limited in habitat, to dense, urban, areas. But just like all predators, they are opportunists, and the d to key on prey they perceive as weak, and easily brought down. This was the case in the last encounter my life had with such creatures. Though, he couldn't have been more wrong in his analysis.

I deal with the fallout of that encounter, every day. I'm hardly huddled under the bed, clinging to a weapon. I go forth with my head up. It wasn't me who was attacked. It was someone much more important to me, and if things had gone as the attacker had planned, life would have little meaning left , for me. Even as it did go, with a successful self defense, life has, irrevocably, changed. There are no , daily, victory dances. But, at least, she is still alive , so I can be there for her.

If, based on where we live, and how we deal with our personal security, you find us beneath you, I really can't care a fact in a high wind. I have been viewed as far worse, by far better, and my life goes on.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
You can keep a gun in your home. With permission you can carry one outside your home.
When did the SCOTUS rule on this? They have avoided this ruling like the plague.

Meanwhile:

CA2 says that attacks outside the home are imaginary.
CA3 says that the legislature is there to check for unconstitutional laws.
CA4 says they need to wait for SCOTUS.

CA5, CA7, and CA9 (as well as the DC circuit) all ruled that there is a constitutional right outside the home based on actual facts, not judicial supposition.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Actually Scenario 3 + 5 equal about 1/2 of all murders.

Where did you get that "fact". Considering the breakdown is roughly (very rough)

26,000 gun deaths.
16,000 are suicide.
8,000 are gang and drug related.
1,500 are a mix of all other firearm homicide.
500 accidents.

So unless wives and neighbors turn out to be Bloods and your a Crip I don't see how it is even close to your statement.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
The epic fail is you refusing to believe facts no matter how many times you have seen them.

CDC Study: Use of Firearms For Self-Defense is

The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year.”

Old 02-02-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:

CDC:
“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year…in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.”

For those that failed math that means gun use is a positive between 166% to 1,000% more often then negative criminal/accidental uses.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
You really are completely EPICLY ignorant on the topic aren't you?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Being armed is no guarantee, but what chance do you have unarmed?
A bit of a better chance because if the shooter sees me with the gun and I can't shoot (mechanical or mentally) or shoot but miss, I'm dead. Having a gun, means that you don't have an instant target on your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies