Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on vaccinations?
Vaccines are unsafe, cause autism and I do not take them at all. 5 5.05%
The Government has the right to force any vaccine on people that they see fit. 29 29.29%
Most vaccines are safe and people should take them, but the Government shouldn't be allowed to force them on people. 65 65.66%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

Also state how you feel on abortion since it's a body right and privacy right intrusion issue.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:44 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
different subject all together- - this is about illness prevention

Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
I'm not sure I agree with shunning and I certainly don't agree with it across the board. As has been said here, to me there's a big difference between Small Pox and Tetanus.

Furthermore, we really should keep some perspective about the true danger we're talking about. Using the MMR example, remember we had 160 cases on average the past 5 years. We have 320,000,000 people in the country, so that's 2m to 1. Now, if you've had both your MMR vaccinations it's a 99% efficacy rate, so the odds of you getting the measles is what 5, 10, 50 million to 1? The odds of being struck by lightening are about 750,000 to 1, but let's call it 1m to 1 for easy math. We're talking about 5, 10, 50 times less likely to get the measles if you've had two MMR shots than of being struck by lightening. The of course there's the fact that the measles isn't a death sentence. Most people are ill for a few days and then go right back about their business, like a cold or the flu. The odds of this happening to you are so fantastical that it can't be taken seriously from a mathematical or probability standpoint. That seems disproportionate to banning someone from public education. Plus, I suspect the same people who want forced vaccinations on children, aren't big fans of homeschooling in the first place. Then we get into people suggesting that you must produce a vaccination card to enter public and private areas and now we're not even talking realistically here anymore, rather some sort of paranoiac, futuristic police state.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yes. Let me ask you something. If ebola started spreading, would you demand everyone be vaccinated?
Ebola vaccination? Yes, if it appeared the vaccine worked and was safe. Now what does that have to do with all vaccines being mandatory?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
different subject all together- - this is about illness prevention
They actually are very much related since they both involve the government telling people what they can and cannot do with their bodies and there are consequences in both instances.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM

I think it's noteworthy the lack of "anti vaxxers" on City-Data. Reading the other poll you'd think they were everywhere.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with shunning and I certainly don't agree with it across the board. As has been said here, to me there's a big difference between Small Pox and Tetanus.

Furthermore, we really should keep some perspective about the true danger we're talking about. Using the MMR example, remember we had 160 cases on average the past 5 years. We have 320,000,000 people in the country, so that's 2m to 1. Now, if you've had both your MMR vaccinations it's a 99% efficacy rate, so the odds of you getting the measles is what 5, 10, 50 million to 1? The odds of being struck by lightening are about 750,000 to 1, but let's call it 1m to 1 for easy math. We're talking about 5, 10, 50 times less likely to get the measles if you've had two MMR shots than of being struck by lightening. The of course there's the fact that the measles isn't a death sentence. Most people are ill for a few days and then go right back about their business, like a cold or the flu. The odds of this happening to you are so fantastical that it can't be taken seriously from a mathematical or probability standpoint. That seems disproportionate to banning someone from public education. Plus, I suspect the same people who want forced vaccinations on children, aren't big fans of homeschooling in the first place. Then we get into people suggesting that you must produce a vaccination card to enter public and private areas and now we're not even talking realistically here anymore, rather some sort of paranoiac, futuristic police state.
The problem is that you're oversimplifying the odds in regards to measles. Vaccination opponents tend to geographically cluster. This creates exponential opportunities for the disease to be communicated to others since it counteracts the concept of herd immunity.

For example, one infected person who interacts with several vaccinated individuals will likely not transmit the virus. So, as soon as the disease runs its course in that one person, the threat is over. However, one infected individual who interacts with several unvaccinated people, will likely spread the virus to many others. This leaves each one of those as potential carriers, who in turn interact with additional people. This is the pathology of massive outbreaks.

There are two other issues with measles that make it such a treacherous virus. Firstly, it is very easily spread from person to person. The virus can live on surfaces for hours after exposure. Secondly, measles can be communicated to others several days before any of its symptoms arise. For example, an asymptomatic child can sit at a desk in school and spread the virus to the surfaces of the desk. Another child who sits at that same desk a couple of hours later can easily contract the virus spread from the previous child.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Unvax kids way healthier http://whale.to/a/children1.html

Re hospital births http://whale.to/a/birth_trauma_h.html

Vaccination purely a racket http://whale.to/vaccines.html

Vaccines can leave you OPEN TO GETTING OTHER THINGS later in life you wouldnt probably get otherwise... (Auto immune diseases,etc)

I am suffering with one.... YES I BELIEVE I GOT IT FROM THIS GARBAGE I USED TO HAVE WHEN I WAS YOUNGER! (Before I knew how bad vaccines are)

Vaccines LOOK GOOD for short term gain..... LONG TERM is another story. (One BIG PHARMA doesnt want ppl to know when they inject them (Its a $$$$$ scam to make them rich (Helping ppl get over WHAT THEY CAUSED (They know how bad they are to your immune system))))

Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
The problem is that you're oversimplifying the odds in regards to measles. Vaccination opponents tend to geographically cluster. This creates exponential opportunities for the disease to be communicated to others since it counteracts the concept of herd immunity.

For example, one infected person who interacts with several vaccinated individuals will likely not transmit the virus. So, as soon as the disease runs its course in that one person, the threat is over. However, one infected individual who interacts with several unvaccinated people, will likely spread the virus to many others. This leaves each one of those as potential carriers, who in turn interact with additional people. This is the pathology of massive outbreaks.

There are two other issues with measles that make it such a treacherous virus. Firstly, it is very easily spread from person to person. The virus can live on surfaces for hours after exposure. Secondly, measles can be communicated to others several days before any of its symptoms arise. For example, an asymptomatic child can sit at a desk in school and spread the virus to the surfaces of the desk. Another child who sits at that same desk a couple of hours later can easily contract the virus spread from the previous child.
So if you live in the Amish colony in Pennsylvania that got hit, or the wealthy NoCal area where there seems to have been a cluster then you're at higher risk? On the flip side, doesn't that mean the odds of contracting it everywhere else become damn near impossible to catch and downright silly to worry about?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Heritage Foundation is Left-Wing.

Bwahahahhahaha. Too funny. Statements like this is why I cant take Mircea too seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies