Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on marijuana legalization?
It should be illegal in all forms, including medical 32 13.56%
It should be legal for medical purposes only 36 15.25%
It should be legal in all forms, although I would never use it 80 33.90%
It should be legal in all forms and I would use it 88 37.29%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:32 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,350,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Oh Boy..ok...
Well, at least you are up front and very clear about the fact that you fully endorse Big Nanny State Government intrusion and invasion into the private lives of citizens.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:41 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,394,670 times
Quote:
Oh Boy..ok
The system defined rebelling against the system as taking drugs. So the points you bring up don't surprise me one bit. Those that are rebellious are far more likely to take drugs. And they make lousy employees in a lot of cases.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 PM

939 posts, read 797,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Comparing pot to rape? -this is the sort of logic the anti crowd use.
It is exteme- you are right. The point being that anyone can justify their actions by rationalizing- no matter how ridiculous it is. Pot smokers brains are not functioning properly, so their logic is tainted- to say the least.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:09 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,020,885 times
Quote:
Oh Boy..ok

Here you go.. for sources look at fed studies etc.. Im not going to list all the links for you.. but they are there

• People who use drugs are 5 times more likely to be involved in an accident while off-the-
job, thus impacting their work attendance and performance.

• Workers who are substance abusers have more frequent and costly healthcare claims,
increasing the overall cost of healthcare for all employees. Also, they are absent more frequently
and have been found to be less productive than their co-workers who do not abuse drugs. Overall,
lost-work productivity (including absenteeism and poor job performance) associated with substance
abuse costs the nation an estimated $197 billion a year.

• Among unemployed adults aged 18 or older in 2011, 17.2% were current illicit drug
users, which was higher than the 8.0% of those employed full time and 11.6% of those employed
part time. Most illicit drug users are employed. Of the 19.9 million current illicit drug users aged
18 or older in 2011, 13.1 million (65.7%) were employed full or part time.

• One study found that marijuana users had 85% more injuries at work than non-users.
When safety comes first, ensuring that workers do not use marijuana is an important step.

• Marijuana users have been shown to have a 78% increase in absenteeism over non-users.

• Workers who tested positive for marijuana use had disciplinary problems at work 64% more
often than workers who tested negative for marijuana.

• Employees who tested positive for marijuana had 55% more industrial accidents.

• Businesses with marijuana-impaired employees have a greater chance of injuries and
damage occurring with employees, their shipments, and the public. Accident records from
one study showed that up to 12% of non-fatally injured drivers and up to 16% of fatally
injured drivers had marijuana in their bloodstreams.

• Drug-using employees have been shown to have up to 300% higher medical costs which
increase insurance rates for employers and employees.

Chronic marijuana users have been identified by DOJ as statistically significantly stealing more from employers than their counterparts

Larger and larger numbers of pregnant females who use MJ are being identified.. those babies will have lower birth weights and be stunted mentally...

And now for the rest of the story from countries dopers love to tout as the reason to legalize drugs...

Colombia legalized the personal use and possession of marijuana, cocaine, and heroin in 1994. Since the law’s implementation, research in a ten-year study indicated drug use increased by 40 percent. Nine percent of city-dwelling Colombians aged 12-25 were regularly using drugs by 2004, just ten years later. Drug treatment costs skyrocketed and the Colombian government is considering recriminalizing drugs to combat the problem of drug dealing.

Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands for a long time and the statistics unfortunately reflect it. Drug use among persons aged 18-25 progressively increased more than 200 percent between 1986 and 1996. The number of cannabis addicts receiving treatment jumped 25 percent in 1997 alone.

We hear about the Netherlands acceptance of drug use, but we are less familiar with the ways the Netherlands has slowly become more restrictive and retreated from its liberal drug policies. Over time, the number of marijuana “coffee houses” has been reduced by 37 percent, and approximately 70 percent of Dutch towns have zero-tolerance policies in effect. Clearly many – if not most – Dutch people oppose marijuana use and legalization.

An interesting experiment was conducted in Zurich, Switzerland’s Platzspitz Park in the late 1980s when they dispensed heretofore illegal drugs for free. The program began with the expectation that “legal” drugs would generate less crime, decrease AIDS, and help ensure that addicts received treatment. After five years, the experiment was abandoned because crime and AIDS cases increased dramatically, drug-related deaths doubled, and the healthcare system was overloaded and could not handle all of the new cases.

The international track record on drug legalization does not support legalization in the U.S. Their experiences show us that legalizing drugs does not have the effects advocates claim. We should be learning from these international failures, not repeating them.

Organized crime and cartels will FURTHER expand their control and influence in the US as more drugs become legal.. this is something I have personally experienced here in California. Simply having Con Agra or Monsanto or Phillip Morris (which is salivating at a whole new crop of addicts) get in the biz does not mean crime goes away

Want me to keep going???...
Want the fly by wire controls for your next airplane put together by some idiot on drugs... opps.. hopefully they get drug tested and fail.. or a brave soldier who needs all his senses to stay alive killing ISIS?

What a cost for our country

We need more of this...no way.. as millennials... the 25 year old crowd... who have been conditioned that drug use isnt harmful.. guess what.. they cant get or hold a job that is drug tested and pays well.. so they will continue to be a drain upon all of us.. We are potentially creating an entire class of dumbed down losers

First of all, I'm not a millennial! Second of all, the reason there are NO jobs is because of overregulation, the likes of NAFTA and the mis-conception that everyone is cut out for college, and if you go to college, you'll be rich! Finally,the dumbing down comes from too many people following the lamestream media, or being buried in their I-phones and texting instead of actually using social skills. Nobody is saying drug use isn't or can't be harmful! For the most part, I hate drugs! It's rare that I take medication, nor have I ever had the desire to partake in much harder substances than cannabis!

And in those countries you referenced, they are not legal, they are DECRIMINALIZED! Meaning that a user cannot get in trouble for possession or consumption, but the Black Market controls all distribution! Haven't you prohibitionists learned from history about the failures of prohibition?! It is your desire to control the behavior of others that keeps the Black Market in play! Sorry pal, you're going to have to do better than spew talking points from some government pamphlet just because the government says so! By golly if big daddy gubbermint says it, then it must be right! Yeah right!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:13 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Well, at least you are up front and very clear about the fact that you fully endorse Big Nanny State Government intrusion and invasion into the private lives of citizens.
Hunh??? Where in my post did I say any of that ?

I'm against drugs and stupid hedonistic selfish behavior that affects others ... drug use by its very nature does that...

Unfortunately history has shown us that people who use drugs have already short circuited their personal behavior constraints....

Old 02-06-2015, 12:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,778,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
It is exteme- you are right. The point being that anyone can justify their actions by rationalizing- no matter how ridiculous it is. Pot smokers brains are not functioning properly, so their logic is tainted- to say the least.
You really are comparing rape to pot- wow!

I suspect if you were raped, you'd have a better understanding of why rape is different to pot, as a crime.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:16 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,258,137 times
Quote:
Unfortunately history has shown us that people who use drugs have already short circuited their personal behavior constraints....
I'm sorry, but WHAT?

Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I'm sorry, but WHAT?
Drugs used to stupify oneself shows the person has short circuited their behavior constraints...
You can put pearls on a pig and justify it in anyway you like... but the end result is they seek to flee from life and reality in a smoke swirled maze

Old 02-06-2015, 12:23 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,394,670 times
Quote:
Drugs used to stupify oneself shows the person has short circuited their behavior constraints...
You can put pearls on a pig and justify it in anyway you like... but the end result is they seek to flee from life and reality in a smoke swirled maze
The system defined rebelling against the system as taking drugs. I rebelled against that definition. I decided not to take drugs.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:25 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,020,885 times
Quote:
Hunh??? Where in my post did I say any of that ?

I'm against drugs and stupid hedonistic selfish behavior that affects others ... drug use by its very nature does that...

I'm not a fan of drugs as in hard substances like opiates, or anything like that, but if people are stupid enough to take them, so be it. What I really am against is the idea of trying to control others for what they decide to consume, especially if no harm has been caused to another individual. In the case of someone smoking a doobie in the privacy of their own home, who is that harming? Now, if they drive and hurt or kill someone, like with alcohol, then I'm on your side. Otherwise, most of those who partake in cannabis just want to be left the hell alone and not have to worry about being arrested, hit with court fees, and fines, a criminal record, and possibly jail time for partaking in it! There are plenty of responsible recreational users who are hard working, honest, law abiding citizens, who have and support families and well behaved and well mannered children, whose only "crime" is smoking a little weed from time to time. Yes I have put "crime" in quotes, because I have a hard time of seeing the logic of criminalizing someone for doing so! And by doing so, 9 times out of 10 you're destroying that person's livelihood more than the substance itself! A bit counter-productive if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies