Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I myself think this is not a good idea.
Here is the problem in simple terms. Personal debt is about 100% of GDP. U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time Not a lot of upside and a lot of downside movement in consumer spending. If you want growth in the economy then we need more wages. Really simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
$15 an hour wouldn't be needed to improve the economies of some of the western states. $10 or $12 would, though, and any wage improvement floats more boats than most folks can imagine.

And if a major industry is looking to move to where wages are lower, the difference in the incentive to move for wage savings alone becomes much less a consideration. A person who makes $12 an hour minimum vs. $14 an hour is only a $2 dollar difference. The other costs associated with relocating a business may become a greater factor, and may be enough to keep an established business right where it is right now.
At the same time, a business that does re-locate will be less tempted to pull up stakes and move again. We could see an end to all the companies that skip from one state to the other, taking advantage of all the lures states now offer, then skipping off to another state once those lures, like no taxes for a period, are finally used up.

Meantime, the wealth that is presently tightly gripped by the most wealthy will spread out, the middle class will spend more, because they have needed stuff for a long time now they couldn't afford any more, and we will all end up paying 25¢ more for a hamburger or a quart of paint or a new pair of pants.

Once the money spreads out, inflation does not increase very much at all. When money is concentrated, every nickel spent hurts a lot more than the last one.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, YOU will take anything you can get. Learn to improvise and adjust. Never accept the status quo.

Your not accepting the status quo, your facing reality your choosing to work & not be on welfare & put food in the table for your family. You do what it takes to survive for those you love until you can do more.
I've been homeless & lived on the streets you do whatever it takes to stay a float. Some times that mean just barely keeping your head above water at least until you can do better. You take the job & be thankful you got it even if the pay sucks.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:37 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Your not accepting the status quo, your facing reality your choosing to work & not be on welfare & put food in the table for your family. You do what it takes to survive for those you love until you can do more.
I've been homeless & lived on the streets you do whatever it takes to stay a float. Some times that mean just barely keeping your head above water at least until you can do better. You take the job & be thankful you got it even if the pay sucks.
Trust me, you don't have a patent on misery. I have faced many of the same dilemmas that you have. I took a different approach is all. Instead of taking a minimum wage job, I painted houses, mowed yards, installed sprinkler systems. I did work on the down low and made more than I would have on a minimum wage job. That developed my business sense. I kept building. Don't get me wrong, there was a time in my life when I took minimum wage employment. I had several minimum wage jobs when I was in High School. At one time, I had three such jobs that I worked part time. It's a question of perspective.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
Yeah.....some of these "small businesses" (poor them) pay $14.50 and charge $84 and hour for their work......

Poor poor them....

You think the difference is pure profit?

Don't own a business, do you?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM

273 posts, read 240,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You think the difference is pure profit?

Don't own a business, do you?
Like I said earlier in the thread.......retail is ecstatic to make 30% on their investment.....

Do the math there....

Hint; it's over 50%.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 PM

273 posts, read 240,361 times
My math isn't the best but that looks like about 83-84%......

Poor poor business owners.....

Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
LOL, someone repped me just to insult me from this thread. Kinda humorous.

I actually have ran my own business before. If minimum wage goes up Ayn Rand fantasies about folks going Galt are STILL just that. Businesses will still keep going, and will be fine.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
My math isn't the best but that looks like about 83-84%......

Poor poor business owners.....
Who pays the rent? Who pays the electric? Who pays for security? Who pays liability insurance? etc etc etc. If businesses are so profitable, why are business failure rates so high?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL, someone repped me just to insult me from this thread. Kinda humorous.

I actually have ran my own business before. If minimum wage goes up Ayn Rand fantasies about folks going Galt are STILL just that. Businesses will still keep going, and will be fine.
Yeah, I've had that too.. It is funny when you get one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies