Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times

Advertisements

I actually don't think minimum wage should be too high.

Let's say I have a startup and can only budget spending $15/hr on labor.

If minimum wage is $15, I can hire only one worker.

If it's $5, I can hire 3 workers.

Granted, it may not be a fully liveable wage, but at least it means more people can make something.

And they won't end up with the nasty unemployment gap, meaning they won't have that disadvantage when applying for higher paying jobs.

I would support higher minimum wages for large companies, but it'd be way too easy for them to get around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 PM

273 posts, read 240,361 times
How come the boat factory paid $600 a week take home to line workers in 1989.....now they hire temps for $9.25?

Don't lie to me!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
No, their cheap bastard boss will pay them $18-25 like you should have 10 years ago......

If not they will tell him to shove it and get a job at Dairy Queen.....
This is actually a subject of some debate: why are wages set at a certain level? Employer wants to attract and motivate people, that's just the market rate for the work, social factors, and so on. Yes some jobs have wages that are intentionally set to be a certain degree above the minimum wage, but people currently making $15/hour are well out of that territory already, and wouldn't see this kind of jump (maybe to $18, not much more unless general economy wide inflation went haywire, which it likely would not).

Incidentally, it's the people at about ~$3 dollars above the new minimum who would be hurt the worst, excluding those who would have been working but are now unemployed and pensioners on a fixed income; hit hardest by any resulting inflation but at the same time already making enough money above the new minimum not to benefit from any wage benchmarking effect.

All this excluding highly unpleasant or unsafe jobs which suck badly enough that you need a large separation between minimum wage to get people (stuff like sanitation, tree work, lower-paid welding, etc.)

I have mixed feelings about a higher minimum wage and am not strongly against (for a small and gradual increase, against a large or sudden one, but not that strongly on either), but let's be real a large increase would be painful to certain segments of the population, including people making just enough over the new level to largely be unimpacted by benchmarking effects.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
This is backwards. Instead of inflating minimum wage to meet the cost of living, I would allow the supply of housing to increase in order to make it affordable. My version of supply side economics..

Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This is actually a subject of some debate: why are wages set at a certain level? Employer wants to attract and motivate people, that's just the market rate for the work, social factors, and so on. Yes some jobs have wages that are intentionally set to be a certain degree above the minimum wage, but people currently making $15/hour are well out of that territory already, and wouldn't see this kind of jump (maybe to $18, not much more unless general economy wide inflation went haywire, which it likely would not).

Incidentally, it's the people at about ~$3 dollars above the new minimum who would be hurt the worst, excluding those who would have been working but are now unemployed and pensioners on a fixed income; hit hardest by any resulting inflation but at the same time already making enough money above the new minimum not to benefit from any wage benchmarking effect.

All this excluding highly unpleasant or unsafe jobs which suck badly enough that you need a large separation between minimum wage to get people (stuff like sanitation, tree work, lower-paid welding, etc.)

I have mixed feelings about a higher minimum wage and am not strongly against (for a small and gradual increase, against a large or sudden one, but not that strongly on either), but let's be real a large increase would be painful to certain segments of the population, including people making just enough over the new level to largely be unimpacted by benchmarking effects.
Tell me why a certified, experienced and qualified TIG Aluminum welder would stick around for $15 when he just got a raise from $12.50 when he could work at Dairy Queen for $15?

His sweatshop boss has been screwing him for years......

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This is backwards. Instead of inflating minimum wage to meet the cost of living, I would allow the supply of housing to increase in order to make it affordable.
Agreed. Zoning laws and red tape in housing are just pushing out those who earn the least money, whether that's $5 or $15 an hour. It's a game of musical chairs.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Agreed. Zoning laws and red tape in housing are just pushing out those who earn the least money, whether that's $5 or $15 an hour. It's a game of musical chairs.
I do a lot of Section 8 work.

You should see how many able under 40 bodies are still asleep at 13:00 or sitting on a porch......

Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Tell me why a certified, experienced and qualified TIG Aluminum welder would stick around for $15 when he just got a raise from $12.50 when he could work at Dairy Queen for $15?

His sweatshop boss has been screwing him for years......
A welder, in specific, likely wouldn't because they work a job that is materially less pleasant than most other alternative work, not in a personal preference sense (i.e. I'd never want to be a nurse but a lot of people do), but objectively. Most people don't work jobs like that.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
I do a lot of Section 8 work.

You should see how many able under 40 bodies are still asleep at 13:00 or sitting on a porch......

I would ask them if they have ever considered getting a job and becoming a productive member of society.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
A welder, in specific, likely wouldn't because they work a job that is materially less pleasant than most other alternative work, not in a personal preference sense (i.e. I'd never want to be a nurse but a lot of people do), but objectively. Most people don't work jobs like that.
My point was that a lot of highly skilled and difficult occupations haven't kept up with inflation in years.....maybe decades. The folks who work them make less per hour than they did 20 years ago. That doesn't stop the owners from making record profits and raising their prices annually.

It's a imbalance and "problem" that direly needs addressed. It won't be under this administration....I can guarantee that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I would ask them if they have ever considered getting a job and becoming a productive member of society.
That is if you can get them up off their lazy butts and let me inside because the landlord called us and needs our services. I stand outside in the heat, cold, rain and snow pounding sometimes for over 20 minutes. Either that or they are told by the landlord to leave the door unlocked so we can get inside. It never is......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies