Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-linear View Post
There most definitely is a massive wealth gap. But the better plan is subsidizing workers in low wage industries, expanding EITC etc. And spending more time in govt figuring out how to bring more gainful employment into the economy. Right now we have an economy that is made up of 34% low wage jobs. It's projected that by 2020 it will account for 44% of the economy, and the largest sector of job growth coming out of the recession was in low wage industries. Capitalism has become so efficient we have out jobbed ourselves and its only going to get worse. Raising minimum wage is a bandaid fix for a much larger problem that needs addressed and is honestly the worst way to help poor people. I like welfare, and as long as the current work requirements are in effect I see no reason why it shouldn't be expanded and we've also got to continue to reform taxes. We need to address our retarded corporate tax, it's too high, and we need to start getting rid of loopholes for billionaires. We need a shift from corporate and capital gains tax to income tax and making sure the richest of those pay their fair share. Whether hard core right wingers want to admit it or nit there is no way you can cram 300 million people together and not have a healthy balance of market and state economics. Especially with a serious shift in our economic climate. There's no going back to great jobs with great pay for everyone. College students must also be mindful of what degree program they chose. Don't pick something that's not marketable. Too many people do this. Find out where projected job growth is and follow it. Long gone are the days a psychology and business major being a catch all.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm going to have to reread it a few times.
There's alot of info.

I just had a thought.
As minimum wage gets higher, does that mean our Nation's Social Security bank is growing then, cause more will be taken out of people's pay checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I'm going to have to reread it a few times.
There's alot of info.

I just had a thought.
As minimum wage gets higher, does that mean our Nation's Social Security bank is growing then, cause more will be taken out of people's pay checks.
nope shrinking, because more is being paid out

Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Ooh, scary. Any proof of this? Or are you simply parroting the latest fear-mongering talking point from Hannity?

Australia has a $16+ /hr minimum wage. Their LFPR is higher than ours. Using your logic... eh nevermind. You aren't using any.

Comical coming from a right-winger. Republicans won 7 of 10 elections from 1968-2004 while championing trickle down economics, yet somehow the massive wage and wealth gap that has steadily risen since 1980 was "teh lib'ruls fault". Don't make me laugh.
Trickle down economics? There is no such economic theory. Don't make me laugh.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
I would like to think so MaseMan, but sadly it seems to be an ever growing trend in America of the what about me people and agendas. It's about me and my group. And these self absorbed want to be heroes could care less about us as a whole, us as a nation.

I just see if minimum wage goes up even near $15 alot of people and business' will be effected negatively.
And cause it going up doesn't mean there are going to be better workers, more slackers in my opinion.

I myself don't believe that would help the exploding wealth gap. I am not sure sure there is one, but that is a different thread.
Trying to understand the negative here.

Are you suggesting that people shouldn't negotiate for wages or expect raises?
Is it "self-absorbed" to do so?
Is working to improve one's standard of living no longer an inherent aspect of American culture?
Sounds to me like you believe that our time should just be freely given away.

Personally, I wouldn't want my relative cared for by a person or business that doesn't value that work and seems to believe that caring for humans is no more valuable a skill than mowing grass.
Something seriously wrong with this picture.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:15 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
If the minimum wage goes to $15 per hour there will be a ripple effect. The most entry level workers will be making $15 and everyone above them will expect more, because they are worth more. Prices will go up and then we'll be back at square one. Raising the minimum wage to $15/ hour will not solve anything.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
I myself think this is not a good idea.
People rallying for $15.00 minimum wage.
Another what about me agenda that is getting so gross here in America.
So many would fall victim to this high minumum wage.

Such as group homes who need 24 hour coverge.
Or the individual who stays at home and needs care 24 hours.
That included the overnight position.
I believe many will go under and people will suffer.

Wasn't minumum wage at one time considered your "first" job, then you worked your way up?
Not to live on.

Group leads push for $15 minimum wage in Minneapolis | Star Tribune
Group pushing for Minneapolis to join several other cities that have raised minimum wages.
The push to make Minneapolis’ minimum wage one of the highest in the nation is ramping up, as advocates rally this weekend with the leader of Seattle’s successful $15 minimum wage campaign.

Seattle City Council Member Kshama Sawant will headline an event Sunday organized by the group 15 Now, which has been gathering support for a $15 citywide minimum wage in Minneapolis. The rally and fundraiser will feature at least two members of the Minneapolis City Council who say they are supportive of creating a living wage but not yet ready to throw their support behind a specific dollar amount.

As advocates seize on momentum from the handful of other cities that have recently bumped up their wages, officials are also keeping an eye on legal battles brewing over wage increases passed in other cities. Officials say it’s possible such a move in Minneapolis could spark a court challenge, though the uncertainty doesn’t seem to be holding up the movement.
To answer the title question: Consumers, and the wage earners it was intended to help. Higher prices, fewer jobs.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeportChi View Post
I know for a fact that if the minimum wage was raised to 15 an hour my father in law who owns two restaurants, would have to lay off some workers, AND raise prices, which in turn would hurt his business. His own words.
Some people would say that he just needs to sell his private jet.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
The victims will be the last hired. They'll be let go.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:53 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If the minimum wage goes to $15 per hour there will be a ripple effect. The most entry level workers will be making $15 and everyone above them will expect more, because they are worth more. Prices will go up and then we'll be back at square one. Raising the minimum wage to $15/ hour will not solve anything.
Yes it will. Anyone whose skils are worth 14.99 and less will be unemployed.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
$15.00 an hour is a bit much. Every city is different here in Asheville the living wage is $11.20 I believe, while there are living wage jobs here they are few & far between. People hang on to them here, it should be city wide. We need a living wage not an outlandish hourly wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies