Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Advertisements

We'd see Applebees tablets rolled out at every restaurant in the nation, with MOST of the non-kitchen staff fired as a result. We'd see fast food kiosks as other nations already have decimate fast food staff jobs. We'd see retail switch to 90% self-serve checkouts, with RFID following, and most staff fired quickly, as robotic stock"boys" would come into play far faster.

Every action has a reaction; all artificial , reckless price increases accomplish is the destruction of those seeking help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 PM

82 posts, read 55,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I myself think this is not a good idea.
People rallying for $15.00 minimum wage.
Another what about me agenda that is getting so gross here in America.
So many would fall victim to this high minumum wage.

Such as group homes who need 24 hour coverge.
Or the individual who stays at home and needs care 24 hours.
That included the overnight position.
I believe many will go under and people will suffer.

Wasn't minumum wage at one time considered your "first" job, then you worked your way up?
Not to live on.

Group leads push for $15 minimum wage in Minneapolis | Star Tribune
Group pushing for Minneapolis to join several other cities that have raised minimum wages.
The push to make Minneapolis’ minimum wage one of the highest in the nation is ramping up, as advocates rally this weekend with the leader of Seattle’s successful $15 minimum wage campaign.

Seattle City Council Member Kshama Sawant will headline an event Sunday organized by the group 15 Now, which has been gathering support for a $15 citywide minimum wage in Minneapolis. The rally and fundraiser will feature at least two members of the Minneapolis City Council who say they are supportive of creating a living wage but not yet ready to throw their support behind a specific dollar amount.

As advocates seize on momentum from the handful of other cities that have recently bumped up their wages, officials are also keeping an eye on legal battles brewing over wage increases passed in other cities. Officials say it’s possible such a move in Minneapolis could spark a court challenge, though the uncertainty doesn’t seem to be holding up the movement.
Inflation that prices the poor back out of the market, and the low middle class ( think 25-35k).

"But the only way people making low wages can survive is welfare". Good, then the system is working, people are encouraged to work and be productive, and the rest population helps those less fortunate out with food, housing etc. This is coming from someone who makes $10.25 an hour and relies on food stamps.

One problem is that some corporations (like Wal-Mart) could and should easily pay $15 an hour without raising prices or losing real revenue, but they won't, because the rest of the market can't afford that. It will only give mega corporations like Wal-Mart more competitive advantage.

Also just because minimum wage is only $7.25 the majority of low wage employers pay well above that, because it's market wage. My neck of the woods goes for $10.25 an hour starting out. Some convenience stores pay $9+. Places like best buy pay between $10-$12. Most retail outlets pay between $8.50-$9.50, because it's market wage.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 PM

WM cannot afford it. 1.2 million workers * $4.75 an hour (WM avg is about $10.25) * 30 hours per week * 115% (as employer SS, Medicare, Workers comp, etc are linear to wages) and you are looking at 10 billion in cost per year, on a corp earning just 3-4% of revenue in profit annually. All stockholders would dump their shares, no one would invest, and 1.2 million jobs would be lost.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:08 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Everything has already gone up prices have gone up on everything but wages are still low. Just about anyone who is making $10 an hour or less is struggling these days. Yes, the small business would be affected the big companies would be okay. All they would lose out on is the huge profit margins they rake in. With everyone having to have health insurance is yet another bill people have to pay. School doesn't mean better pay these day, too many people out there with a college/trade that are waiting tables.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We'd see Applebees tablets rolled out at every restaurant in the nation, with MOST of the non-kitchen staff fired as a result. We'd see fast food kiosks as other nations already have decimate fast food staff jobs. We'd see retail switch to 90% self-serve checkouts, with RFID following, and most staff fired quickly, as robotic stock"boys" would come into play far faster.

Every action has a reaction; all artificial , reckless price increases accomplish is the destruction of those seeking help.
You're a real doomsdayer. Minimum wage was $1.65 when I started working, so I've seen it raised more than a few times. Funny, I don't recall anything happening that remotely resembles your doom and gloom predictions.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:25 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why work any demanding job that pays $15 an hour when one can work fast food for that amount?
I guess those "demanding jobs" will have to pay more to keep their workers, eh? I call that a big win for the working and middle classes.
Quote:
You're a real doomsdayer. Minimum wage was $1.65 when I started
working, so I've seen it raised more than a few times. Funny, I don't recall
anything happening that remotely resembles your doom and gloom predictions.
An $11/hr minimum wage would horrify right-wingers, yet that's the amount workers were paid in 1968 (adjusted for inflation).

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 02-15-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM

nvxplorer, It was $1.65..five decades ago. So if you said $15 in say 2065, I'd say that would not be an issue.

PS< Until very recent years, robots and AI posed no threat, as they could not do jobs. Now they can.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
nvxplorer, It was $1.65..five decades ago. So if you said $15 in say 2065, I'd say that would not be an issue.

PS< Until very recent years, robots and AI posed no threat, as they could not do jobs. Now they can.
$1.60/hr in 1968 = $10.88/hr in 2014.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
1973 to be exact. Four decades. An equivalent increase over forty years would amount to $31.85. Numbers count. How 'bout we say $10.10 over 3 to 5 years?

Quote:
Which has absolutely nothing to do with minimum wage.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I guess those "demanding jobs" will have to pay more to keep their workers, eh? I call that a big win for the working and middle classes.

An $11/hr minimum wage would horrify right-wingers, yet that's the amount workers were paid in 1968 (adjusted for inflation).
I don't know why they're horrified. History, simple math and common sense tell us that raising the minimum wage will not trigger Armageddon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies