Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM

273 posts, read 240,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It's easy to scream greed, and there's plenty of it everywhere (not just among the elite), but businesses are simply operating under the system we've given them. Historically, worker strife is probably the norm for this country, rather than the exception. The period from the end of WWII to the 1980s was unique for labor in the US. We can scream "greed" all we want. It's a human trait that's not going away soon. I think we've learned our lessons from the misery of soup lines to the violence of civil unrest. Minimum wages are and will continue to go up. I don't oppose a federal minimum wage, but I don't oppose local control, either. If the Republicans want to freeze (not abolish) the federal minimum wage, I think they should do so. Let's see what happens with the states and localities. I don't think the results would be much different than what we have now.
My County just started refusing to give tax abatements and breaks to new companies starting up if they pay less than $12 an hour to start. We don't want your business here.....there's already enough of them. If they lie and get caught later after the fact they falsified legal documents and contracts/agreements when signing up for it.....punishable by whatever they choose to peruse.

It's simply ridiculous what many companies expect in qualifications and job difficulty vs what they want to pay. The balance has shifted so far into the owners and managements favor it's a wonder they can even hire anybody to take these jobs. Of course none of this stops them from raising their prices and charging more annually for their products or services.....

It's a hustle and a scam......

Do you know a freaking waitress at the Texas Roadhouse makes more than the average mechanic?

It's true and BS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:48 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Right. Because we "all" fit that description. No established business owner works 60 hours a week for free unless he's going under. Minimum wage, no minimum wage, doesn't matter.

I'm astounded at this kind of hyperbolic rhetoric. Do you realize how many raises and bonuses are given to non-minimum wage working people every year? I get both. Everyone I know gets at least a COLA. Ohhh...all the suffering...we can't take it any more. Get real.
Talk about hyperbolic rhetoric, so you are okay than everybody else must be as well?

My accounting firm does taxes and bookkeeping for hundreds of small business owners, and yes there are plenty of restaurants and such where the owner is struggling to keep the lights on, even in well known franchises with decent locations. If they have to start paying the junior line cooks, the dishwashers, and prep cooks starting at $15 an hour they will be gone soon enough.

There are plenty of businesses where I know the owners and their financial statements, and know that they often have to make a choice between hiring another person and spending money on advertising to grow or stay where they are and still get enough of a check to pay their bills. If their minimum wage guys are getting a 40% raise they are in serious trouble as well.

Despite all the hype the biggest employer in the country is our government through 1 branch or another,nearly half of the country that works for private companies work for small businesses. 99.7% of the companies in this country are small businesses, 64% of the jobs being created are created by small businesses, but let's ignore all those companies and point to how good you have it working for a large corporation.

But do not worry if wages go up to $15 an hour and all these small businesses close, who do you think is going to foot the bill?

Just like many times the government gets a wild hair and decides they are going to help us, they are going to give more money and power to the large corporations as the small business owners competing in markets all across the country will be priced out of the market.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When was the last time the minimum wage was doubled?

Oh wait... It hasn't.
so far its been mostly people like you arguing for it to double. most people have argued for 10-11/hr. But in all honesty, even $15/hr isnt "scary".

Where it DID go to $15/hr hasn't suddenly experienced those issues either.

All in all, you're arguing from a position that has no data backing it up, conversely the other side has past experiences at smaller raises, AND data from one place doing it.

Oh noes the inflation boogy man will get us all!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:50 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Talk about hyperbolic rhetoric, so you are okay than everybody else must be as well?

My accounting firm does taxes and bookkeeping for hundreds of small business owners, and yes there are plenty of restaurants and such where the owner is struggling to keep the lights on, even in well known franchises with decent locations. If they have to start paying the junior line cooks, the dishwashers, and prep cooks starting at $15 an hour they will be gone soon enough.

There are plenty of businesses where I know the owners and their financial statements, and know that they often have to make a choice between hiring another person and spending money on advertising to grow or stay where they are and still get enough of a check to pay their bills. If their minimum wage guys are getting a 40% raise they are in serious trouble as well.

Despite all the hype the biggest employer in the country is our government through 1 branch or another,nearly half of the country that works for private companies work for small businesses. 99.7% of the companies in this country are small businesses, 64% of the jobs being created are created by small businesses, but let's ignore all those companies and point to how good you have it working for a large corporation.

But do not worry if wages go up to $15 an hour and all these small businesses close, who do you think is going to foot the bill?

Just like many times the government gets a wild hair and decides they are going to help us, they are going to give more money and power to the large corporations as the small business owners competing in markets all across the country will be priced out of the market.
Yes suddenly all the restaurants will all close up shop and go home......Or will they just raise prices a little to deal with it? I know what I would do as a employer. Take your Ayn Rand fantasies and realize they are just that.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post

Yeah.....some of these "small businesses" (poor them) pay $14.50 and charge $84 and hour for their work......

Poor poor them....

Old 02-15-2015, 05:52 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
More and more part time jobs, VERY part time jobs.........as in 25 hours or less a week.

So, more people will have to work 2 jobs to make a living, BRAVO. Watch for more robo/computer equipped stores to cutdown on the employee count.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I am hoping arguments do not start out.

I was just curious what other people thought who would be the victims, if you thought there would be any?
Let me ask you something. Everyone in the company I work for got a raise and bonus last year. You tell me who was victimized by the company's actions, and there will be your answer.

When speaking of economic activity, the terms "winners" and "losers" are preferred. The term "victim" implies wrongdoing, an attack or mishap. Raising the minimum wage does none of these. It's purpose is to help people.

Will there be losers? Of course. But there will be winners as well. An argument can be made that recycling the money through local economies will create more jobs than are lost. I tend to agree. Demand is low.

Just because added costs are mandated does not mean people are being victimized.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM

Cripes in retail I thought most people are ecstatic making 30% on their investment.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:58 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
We often talk about minimum wage relative to median wage. In the US it is currently at 43%. If the minimum wage was increased to 15 dollars, then the ratio would increase to 89%. No western country is even close to having such a high ratio. France is only 61% and they have always struggled with unemployment.

In fact, the consequences of a 15 dollar minimum wage, is even worse. 89% is the ratio across the US, but many states in the US have much lower median wages. In Mississippi the ratio will be 111%. That is of course impossible, hence you will either get inflation or they will fire workers and make the remaining ones work harder.

Further increases will just hurt the poor states in America. I believe there should be no federal minimum wage, minimum wages should be decided at the state level.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
More and more part time jobs, VERY part time jobs.........as in 25 hours or less a week.

So, more people will have to work 2 jobs to make a living, BRAVO. Watch for more robo/computer equipped stores to cutdown on the employee count.
You don't need robots......

You have AMERICANS who want to be there now and do a good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies