Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hillary was right or wrong?
I lean left - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 32 23.88%
I lean left - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 33 24.63%
I lean right - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 64 47.76%
I lean right - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 5 3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Except when the Obama admin and its departments ignore FOIAs, which has happened in multiple agencies and multiple federal judges have stepped in, only to find the information has been "lost" or "destroyed" while the government was ignoring the FOIA. Just this week a judge reprimanded the EPA and said it's clear they were ignoring FOIAs from conservative groups and the judge speculated it may have been so they could destroy the evidence.

Judge rules EPA lied about transparency, tells agency to halt discrimination against conservatives - Washington Times

Obama administration stonewalls FOIA request on IRS targeting scandal « Hot Air

IRS Faulted for Compliance with Freedom of Information Act Requests

After months of silence from feds on flying phone surveillance, EFF sues | Ars Technica

https://www.aclu.org/national-securi...it-drone-memos

Clinton just went one step above the typically Obama admin modus operando, instead of ignoring FOIAs and destroying evidence, she just ignored the collection law from the outset.
She didn't go "one step above the blah-blah-blah." She did exactly what every Secretary of State up to John Kerry did. John Kerry is the FIRST Secretary of State to primarily use his government e-mail account. The FIRST. Which is great. Because John Kerry is a part of this Obama administration, and it's great seeing our current Secretary of State taking the step for more transparency and accountability. But there is no reason to expect Secretary of State Clinton to do something radically different than her predecessors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But they DO exist in government records and databases.

Ask the various departments for any and all e-mails received from or sent to Secretary of State Clinton.

Hillary's aides can only scrub from her end. They can't scrub the government databases.

If you send a message to my phone. And then you delete all record of that message from your phone. You still have the problem that my phone has that message.
Theoretically, that may be true. But in a practical sense.....and Hillary knows this....there are limits to FOIA requests and one of those limits would be searching the archives of every single government employee that Hillary Clinton may have emailed...copied....Bcc'd.....forwarded....respond ed to....etc....especially if they DON'T KNOW who Hillary emailed in the first place. You are suggesting that the archives of thousands of employees be searched for the purpose of a FOIA request.........something that likely WON'T take place unless the GAO and/or Congress gets involved, or there are lawsuits filed by outside good government groups.

I surmise that that's EXACTLY why Hillary chose to use a private email...she knows the limit of government and the willingness of the government to go to great lengths to uncover her lawlessness.

Again...I suspect you understand the foolishness of your position.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Nope. Hillary's advisors are going through her e-mails and deciding which ones to turn over. Maybe we should start letting criminals search for their own evidence and turn over what they think is relevant, you okay with that too?
Because the only place those e-mails exist is in Hillary's archives? They don't exist anywhere else? The people in government who sent e-mails to Hillary from their government e-mail accounts were magically able to destroy all records of those e-mails?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:19 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
She didn't do anything different than Condaleezza Rice did. Or any other Secretary of State. As the Department of State has STATED FOR THE RECORD, Secretary Kerry is the FIRST, the FIRST, yes, the FIRST Secretary of State to use a government email account for primary use. The FIRST. Which means that EVERY ONE before didn't. FACTS, so inconvenient for the whiners.
What a good little Dem defender you are. I hope Jen Psaki gives you a pat on the head for taking her word as fact. The article clearly states that Rice used government e-mail.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Because the only place those e-mails exist is in Hillary's archives? They don't exist anywhere else? The people in government who sent e-mails to Hillary from their government e-mail accounts were magically able to destroy all records of those e-mails?
Do you recall what happened at the IRS?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
She didn't go "one step above the blah-blah-blah." She did exactly what every Secretary of State up to John Kerry did. John Kerry is the FIRST Secretary of State to primarily use his government e-mail account. The FIRST. Which is great. Because John Kerry is a part of this Obama administration, and it's great seeing our current Secretary of State taking the step for more transparency and accountability. But there is no reason to expect Secretary of State Clinton to do something radically different than her predecessors.
He is not the first. When Colin Powell was SoS the law wasn't in place. It was put in place afterwards and Condi Rice used here gov email. Hillary was the lone wolf who broke tradition with the law.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Theoretically, that may be true. But in a practical sense.....and Hillary knows this....there are limits to FOIA requests and one of those limits would be searching the archives of every single government employee that Hillary Clinton may have emailed...copied....Bcc'd.....forwarded....respond ed to....etc....especially if they DON'T KNOW who Hillary emailed in the first place. You are suggesting that the archives of thousands of employees be searched for the purpose of a FOIA request......

I surmise that that's EXACTLY why Hillary chose to use a private email...she knows the limit of government and the willingness of the government to go to great lengths to uncover her lawlessness.

Again...I suspect you understand the foolishness of your position.
The limits to FOIA requests are actually the key to getting those e-mails. When you want e-mails on a particular subject, your FOIA request is to every department that may have been involved with that matter. Technically, they don't need Hillary's e-mails to know who she e-mailed. The search engine is more than capable of looking for e-mails that were sent from Hillary. All you need is her e-mail address. And I'm pretty sure they've got that.

And what you surmise is driven by your personal bias. Because Hillary didn't choose to use private e-mail. She chose to send her correspondence the exact same way her predecessors did. All of them. John Kerry is the FIRST Secretary of State to primarily use his government e-mail account for correspondence. The FIRST.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Do you recall what happened at the IRS?
Yes. Government-provided e-mail accounts weren't properly archived. Servers evidently crashed. The redundancy built into the system evidently crashed. Not a good thing.

A different situation altogether, though.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Bull. The Washington Post just roasted every one of your arguments, including this one.

Quote:
And, as The Washington Post’s Philip Bump reports, the e-mail domain clintonemail.com that she appears to have been using was created on Jan. 13, 2009, the day Clinton’s confirmation hearings began. . .

Second, the government records to be retained aren’t only intra-agency communications. If Clinton is e-mailing with world leaders or others about official business, the entire point of the Federal Records Act is to ensure that those communications are captured for history. . .

His successor, Condoleezza Rice, rarely used e-mail to transact business but employed her government address when she did.
You should really read the article, it disputes every one of your claims in this thread.

Hillary Clinton is yet again her own worst enemy - The Washington Post

Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
Let me ask you. Someone in a government agency uses their .gov email address to send an email to somemadeupname@gmail.com and that made up name happens to be Hillary, how do the people doing the FOIA request know this? They will ONLY be looking for her .gov address. ANY mail originating from her private email address isn't archived as it should be under the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies