Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the appropriate punishment for the student who gave his english teacher a marijuana cookie?
Nothing - It's a harmless prank 12 10.53%
Suspension 30 26.32%
Expulsion 28 24.56%
File charges of food tampering - up to 10 years in prison. 44 38.60%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
The dude suddenly came down with strong and inexplicable physical and mental symptoms and probably thought he was dying or horribly ill. He didn't realize what was happening. We know this because he went to the hospital (he wouldn't have if he recognized the high and realized the cookie could have been spiked with pot). Neither, you, me, him or any of us posting here - bar people who survived a stroke / heart attack / etc. have likely every been so afraid in our lives.
Maybe he did...Maybe he didn't.

Something tells me that the effect on that teacher has been highly exaggerated. I don't know...I'm not really buying it.

But whatever man. Still though, to suggest prison is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Confession time: I was laughing by the end of this post.

You can't seriously believe that this kid is on the path to becoming a murdering because he thought seeing his teacher high would be funny? That's the same type of thinking that I mock when discussing the gay marriage issue. "What's next, people marrying goats?" It's absurd. It's assuming that all wrong doings lead to another, and that's not the case.

You've taken things that aren't yours. Something like a pencil. You went to school, forgot your pencil, found one on the ground, and used it until you lost it. That's theft. But I wouldn't dare say something to even imply that that was your first step into a life of crime.

And who's talking about not enforcing the law? I've said if the court felt it was necessary, probation would be fine. I think that may be a bit much, but I have no real issue with it if that's what happens. I desperately hope your not of the ilk (and ilk is an excessively merciful word) who think that any form of wrong doing or crime should result in immediate jail time; no questions asked. If I wanted to live like that, I'd more to Iraq. I like that our Justice system is supposed to leave room for defending one's self. Apparently others disagree.
If the choice was between No punishment from the legal system as some prefer vs. minimal prison time, I'd go with the prison.

Probation is reasonable, assuming the guy didn't already catch some breaks from the legal system.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
As many of you here on CD know, I fully support ending prohibition of cannabis. Having said that, I'm on the fence with the choices of expulsion or prison for tampering with food. Honestly, it's a good bet the teacher will not permanently be harmed as there is no proof of anyone dying from an overdose of cannabis, but on the other hand I liken it to slipping someone a roofie in their drink, or a restaurant worker tampering with your food. I find it repulsive when I hear people pulling this crap! You don't F*** with peoples food!

Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What is the appropriate punishment for the 18 year old student who gave a teacher a cookie made with marijuana that sickened him?

Birmingham teacher sickened by student's suspected pot cookie | News - Home

Not telling them it was laced, would be criminal.

Reason being, I may kill you the next day, when I find out what you have done to me.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 AM

242 posts, read 413,020 times
What surprises me is that this teacher didn't RECOGNIZE the unmistakable taste in that cookie that IS marijuana. It is a very distinguishable taste....it tastes like nothing else...and for many, the taste is not pleasant...even mixed in a brownie that is all chocolate. There is NO mistaking this taste or smell and I've never eaten an "edible" that didn't have this trait.

LOL about folks who talk about "killing" someone over something like this. Talk about needing a stint in the big house...

So...who needs a brownie?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 AM

638 posts, read 977,850 times
Shame on him for making that teacher feel relaxed and happy! Shame!!!! give him the guillotine!!!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:28 AM

29,812 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As many of you here on CD know, I fully support ending prohibition of cannabis. Having said that, I'm on the fence with the choices of expulsion or prison for tampering with food. Honestly, it's a good bet the teacher will not permanently be harmed as there is no proof of anyone dying from an overdose of cannabis, but on the other hand I liken it to slipping someone a roofie in their drink, or a restaurant worker tampering with your food. I find it repulsive when I hear people pulling this crap! You don't F*** with peoples food!
Nobody has to die for irreparable harm to result. The teacher ended up in the hospital. Someone has to be held accountable. If it weren't for the student's irresponsible actions, none of this would have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So now your argument is that the teacher should have expected it? Unreal. This whole thread makes me question my entire political philosophy. Perhaps the nanny-staters have been right all along. The people themselves cannot be trusted to look after their own welfare and be resposnible enough to make their own decisions.. They are quite simply, too immature and need someone to hold their hand and guide them through life, much in the same way a parent does for a small child....
I meant to say UNexpecting victim. Hopefully that will put my reply into perspective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How about we don't give ANY substance, legal or not, to anyone without their consent? Antifreeze is legal, and that will kill you.
I'm sure no one could argue against that logic.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Nobody has to die for irreparable harm to result. The teacher ended up in the hospital. Someone has to be held accountable. If it weren't for the student's irresponsible actions, none of this would have happened.

I meant to say UNexpecting victim. Hopefully that will put my reply into perspective?

I'm sure no one could argue against that logic.

I fully support holding the kid responsible. Look, the way I see it, I am not above partaking from time to time, but I sure as hell don't like suprises, and wouldn't want to be slipped a mind altering substance without my knowledge. Pranks and practical jokes are one thing, but messing with someone's food or slipping them a "special brownie or cookie" is NOT funny in the least bit! There are just certain lines you don't cross!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Shame on him for making that teacher feel relaxed and happy! Shame!!!! give him the guillotine!!!
I won't be surprised if the student's ignorance is = to yours re mj making anyone who uses it relaxed and happy. Or that doing it in school to a teacher is A-OK.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I fully support holding the kid responsible. Look, the way I see it, I am not above partaking from time to time, but I sure as hell don't like suprises, and wouldn't want to be slipped a mind altering substance without my knowledge. Pranks and practical jokes are one thing, but messing with someone's food or slipping them a "special brownie or cookie" is NOT funny in the least bit! There are just certain lines you don't cross!
Agreed. What the kid did was egregious (although i'm still laughing my ass off about it), and you've gotta hold him responsible.

But this sounds like expulsion from school and a year or so of community service is in order. Prison time is absolutely ludicrous. Americans need to get over this addiction to sending everyone including jaywalkers to prison. It's patently absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies