Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. You dont have a lot of experience with construction work do you? Who is governing really is irrelevant.
How can you say that "[w]ho is governing really is irrelevant?" This is a public sector project, and those who are governing are in charge of it. How can they be irrelevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How can you say that "[w]ho is governing really is irrelevant?" This is a public sector project, and those who are governing are in charge of it. How can they be irrelevant?
But those that are governing are not the construction company that was contracted to construct this project.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
I think he meant when speaking about the government what we generally get is incompetence no matter who is running things.

With that I agree. Just look to Iraq for a great example.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Well, he can say it because Democrats are in charge. It's that simple.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
I'm sorry but some of you people really just like to complain a lot... building a highway tunnel under downtown Seattle isn't the easiest task and for sure something you shouldn't rush... but whatever, you guys play your political labeling games all you want.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm sorry but some of you people really just like to complain a lot... building a highway tunnel under downtown Seattle isn't the easiest task and for sure something you shouldn't rush... but whatever, you guys play your political labeling games all you want.
True, if this thread was actually about the topic of a new highway tunnel in Seattle it would be in the Seattle forum and not the political forum. The OP had the intention of making this all about politics from the beginning.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:50 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
In situations like this, what do you think wins in the end. The carrot at the end of the stick saying if you finish on time you get a bonus, or the stick saying if you don't finish on time you lose money?

Private construction contractors like Bechtel know the answer, it is finish on time to avoid costly penalties. They get many government contracts and typically love to bid on contracts with penalties. Why, because they know they can deliver, bonus or not.
But the contractors who low bid on incentives are willing to say screw it, we will at least make XYZ even if we run over.

If I were in city or state government, I'd demand the contract bidding be based on penalties for not finishing on time, with the OPTION of rewarding companies for finishing on time, and all goals having been achieved AFTER INSPECTION(i.e. trust but verify).

`

Old 05-18-2015, 07:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
True, if this thread was actually about the topic of a new highway tunnel in Seattle it would be in the Seattle forum and not the political forum. The OP had the intention of making this all about politics from the beginning.
Of course it is a political topic. It's a project that was decided by and run by politicians. There was even a vote on it (abeit ignored by the politcos). How is it not about politics? I could have posted it in the Seattle forum, but I thought that there might be interest from people outside of Seattle, which I think has been proven out by the replies.

Either way it is a political topic, as with any government spending or action. How could it be otherwise?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Of course it is a political topic. It's a project that was decided by and run by politicians. There was even a vote on it (abeit ignored by the politcos). How is it not about politics? I could have posted it in the Seattle forum, but I thought that there might be interest from people outside of Seattle, which I think has been proven out by the replies.

Either way it is a political topic, as with any government spending or action. How could it be otherwise?
Who said it was otherwise?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
As is often times the case the problem is how it is done. Politicians will say (making the numbers up) that a project will cost $20 million dollars knowing full well it's going to end up costing far more.

They will take bids from entities knowing they are in the end going to get far more than they bid.

Put it out for a bid. Accept a bid. If the firm then can't do it for that, they lose money or go out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies