Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 01:34 PM

106 posts, read 74,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terperoni View Post
When do people get to legally marry children and animals? That's the slippery slope gay marriage has started. And if you think that's not possible, groups like NAMBLA are lobbying for it already.
Bad comparison. Children and animals cannot consent to marry. Homosexual marriage is between two consenting adults. Two consenting adults getting married isn't hurting anybody.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I posted in the Tampa Bay forum last night in response to a thread about the Tampa Bay Rays signing a brief in support of gay marriage.

I don't think that is the appropriate forum for my question to seriously be answered. So, I will ask it here.

Why do some people care who other legal, free, consenting adults marry?
Because some people, such as highly religious ones, are grossly offended by the oral and anal sex acts gays do. Feeling that the missionary position is the only acceptable sex position before God, they may even feel the same way toward straights who engage in oral and anal sex. So they feel gay marriages are based totally upon sodomy, a situation totally against God's will as well as exhibiting mockery toward God's command toward Noah to go out and replenish(repopulate)the world.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:05 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The US Supreme Court will be hearing the constitutionality of this based on the 14 TH AMENDMENT, not the 10th. The highest court has already instructed the legal teams to limit their arguments, pro or con, solely on 14th Amendment.

Remember: the US Constitution trumps anything written into a state constitution.
Which is why the 14th Amendment needs to be repealed because it has been so badly twisted from its original intent. If the writers of the 14th had intended it to repeal the 10th Amendment, they would have done so. They never imagined that the 14th would do anything more than secure the rights of the newly freed slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
No he didn't when he was first running for the Illinois State Senate he was for same sex marriage then his "great Christian faith" caused him to change to support for civil unions. Despite the fact his home church was teaching and advocating for same sex marriage. Was he preparing for higher offices or preparing to break away from Reverend Wright? Well he gained higher office before breaking away from Reverend Wright.

When running for reelection in a new political climate he returned to his stated position of the early 1990s after being politically outed by Vice President Biden. Do I personally think he was lying about being against same sex marriage while a US Senator and during his first term of President, yes I do. More than that I think everybody who cared about the issue and voted for him also knew he was lying but it didn't matter to them since they were getting their man in.
I actually agree with you that he was lying in 2008 knowing full well that if he supported gay marriage he'd probably lose several southern states.

It distresses me that people think it is okay that he was lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erobrer View Post
Bad comparison. Children and animals cannot consent to marry. Homosexual marriage is between two consenting adults. Two consenting adults getting married isn't hurting anybody.
Children maybe can't consent, but it is very easy to change the definition of what a child is.

From the dawn of man the age at which children start to mature sexually (puberty) is when they were considered adults. The manhood ceremonies of African peoples, Native Americans, Jewish (bar mitzvah) and traditions of Europe (apprenticeships and military service) all happened around 13 years old. It has only been in the last 100 years or so that we have moved the age upward.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Which is why the 14th Amendment needs to be repealed because it has been so badly twisted from its original intent. If the writers of the 14th had intended it to repeal the 10th Amendment, they would have done so. They never imagined that the 14th would do anything more than secure the rights of the newly freed slaves.

Ha, good luck with that. Surely, corporations will want to keep the 14th Amendment to help them defend their newly granted personhood.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:32 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terperoni View Post
When do people get to legally marry children and animals? That's the slippery slope gay marriage has started. And if you think that's not possible, groups like NAMBLA are lobbying for it already.
I don't believe you.

Cite your sources please. Especially the one about NAMBLA.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Default Gay Marriage and Why People are against ????

The reason why people are against Gay Marriage because it goes against most peoples values. Marriage is not a perfect institute, but the Marriage between Man and women has been the gold stand since ever!

Also it offends Christians and a good Christian will not support a sin or a abomination against God.

More and More states have been forced thru legal action and even over turn the voters will , One Man and One woman. The gay community has sued their way and have forced changed in Traditional Christian cities and States. Now there is Civil Unions and a few states like Oregon have the nerve to call it marriage.

It is the belief of the Gay Community is looking for more a legal victory. They wish to be accepted by all as normal behavior. That's why recently I have noticed more post toward Conservatives to earn and win acceptance beyond what the court dictates.

I was raised in a rural town in Missouri (More corn and soy bean than people) with very traditional views and no one even knew a gay person.

Plus it just does not look right?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The reason why people are against Gay Marriage because it goes against most peoples values.
Not true. Just because most people you know think as you do, it does not follow that most americans think as you do.

Support for Gay Marriage Hits All-Time High — WSJ/NBC News Poll - Washington Wire - WSJ

Quote:
Marriage is not a perfect institute, but the Marriage between Man and women has been the gold stand since ever!

Also it offends Christians and a good Christian will not support a sin or a abomination against God.
This isn't true either, quite a few christans support SSM. But even if it was true, so what?

Quote:
More and More states have been forced thru legal action and even over turn the voters will , One Man and One woman. The gay community has sued their way and have forced changed in Traditional Christian cities and States. Now there is Civil Unions and a few states like Oregon have the nerve to call it marriage.
All legal marriages in this country are civil unions, and always have been. The state issues you a marriage license, and always has. Most of us are perfectly fine with this state of affairs.

Quote:
It is the belief of the Gay Community is looking for more a legal victory.
Which they will soon have. And it's long overdue.

Quote:
They wish to be accepted by all as normal behavior. That's why recently I have noticed more post toward Conservatives to earn and win acceptance beyond what the court dictates.
No, the anti-SSM forces are losing ground.

Quote:
I was raised in a rural town in Missouri (More corn and soy bean than people) with very traditional views and no one even knew a gay person.

Horseless carriages did not "look right" either. Yet, we managed to adjust.

Thank you for the opportunity to once again refute your tired out and non-factual arguments.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In this case, it is the State Governments to decide, if it is in their State Constitution or not. Then the People of the State(Republic of California Texas ect,.) vote. It must pass with 2/3. That is how it works.
The 10th Amendment dictates that is where the power in marriage lies, without an amendment to the US Constitution. Where it takes 2/3 of the States and 2/3 of the peoples vote on referendum in each State.

If it was not left to the States, the Federal government would issue marriage licenses.
You missed Loving v. Virginia and many other court cases.

States cannot violate the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
The reason why people are against Gay Marriage because it goes against most peoples values. Marriage is not a perfect institute, but the Marriage between Man and women has been the gold stand since ever!

It is the belief of the Gay Community is looking for more a legal victory. They wish to be accepted by all as normal behavior. That's why recently I have noticed more post toward Conservatives to earn and win acceptance beyond what the court dictates.

Nobody cares if some religious right wingers accept gay marriage or not, it is about what is legal and isn't legal and gay marriage should be as legal as consenting straight people getting married because a Civil Marriage has ZERO ties to religion.

You are more than welcome to never accept gay marriage until your dying breath. That shouldn't come in the way of other people's right to a civil marriage.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:

I'm catholic, went to catholic schools and went to church several times a week. A good christian should accept everyone as taught by god because we are all gods children. That's what we were taught by the nuns. Are you saying they were wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies