Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:13 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
The military is the reason we are so far ahead of others. Europe is rich - no one cares what the EU says as they have no muscle to back up their words. We need that huge military to maintain our standing as the global hyperpower.
IF that's true, and I believe it's more MIC self-aggrandizing hyperbole than anything else, the cost/benefit ratio is too obscenely high to continue with. Our alleged standing and $1.00 won't even get you a decent cup of coffee most places

Quote:
I do not believe in bullying other states, but states should know that if they don't take the silver, we can give them lead.
IF at this point we can't give anyone the lead it's painfully obvious our most threatening enemy is the MIC and the royal screwing they've been giving us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM

491 posts, read 324,244 times
^

I just believe in keeping our options open.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:26 PM

29,502 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes in 1980 they mattered a lot more then they do today. We are not as dependent on oil from that area as much these days. Welcome to 2015.

Doesn't matter that most of our i,ported oil comes from Canada (Saudi Arabia second). Oil is globally traded commodity. A regional war in the Middle East would cause oil prices to skyrocket

Quote:

It would hurt the global economy (and via that, us), but if the global economy is worried, I might suggest they get off their butts and deal with it instead of assuming we will.
The "global economy" is not one entity, but many players all fighting for scarce resources. At the same time we are all intertwined. If China's economy crashes because their supply of oil is hurt, that would have a ripple effect here.

Quote:
Turns out that most of them want to negotiate.
Who's most? Definitely not the countries that border Iran. Saudi Arabia already stated that if Iran goes nuclear so will they

Old 04-02-2015, 03:28 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
Many of the comments here are focused on the threat (or according to some, lack of such) of a nuclear weapon in the hands of a radical Islamic regime towards Israel.
The Obama policy is not just endangering Israel. The Iranian regime already has ballistic missiles designed to be fitted with a nuclear warhead. The range of these missiles currently covers all of the Middle East as well as southern, eastern, and central Europe. At the current rate of development, the regime will have an ICBM in the not too distant future.
So a bomb in the hands of a jihadi, theocratic, apocalyptic regime is a lethal threat to populations well beyond Israel, including the US.
[yawn] Really? [/yawn]

Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
The "global economy" is not one entity, but many players all fighting for scarce resources. At the same time we are all intertwined. If China's economy crashes because their supply of oil is hurt, that would have a ripple effect here.
And history supplies ample proof the so-called experts are so often wrong in their predictions of how different events will affect the world that those predictions are hardly reasons for war.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:20 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
Many of the comments here are focused on the threat (or according to some, lack of such) of a nuclear weapon in the hands of a radical Islamic regime towards Israel.
The Obama policy is not just endangering Israel. The Iranian regime already has ballistic missiles designed to be fitted with a nuclear warhead. The range of these missiles currently covers all of the Middle East as well as southern, eastern, and central Europe. At the current rate of development, the regime will have an ICBM in the not too distant future.
So a bomb in the hands of a jihadi, theocratic, apocalyptic regime is a lethal threat to populations well beyond Israel, including the US.
Nuttybooboo's been banking on it for years. There's money in fear!

Quote:
“If Iran were to acquire nuclear weapons, this could presage catastrophic consequences, not only for my country, and not only for the Middle East, but for all mankind,†adding that, “the deadline for attaining this goal is getting extremely close.â€
That gem was from '96.

In his '95 book, he said 3-5 years.

In '02, he told Congress that Iraq was running “centrifuges the size of washing machines.â€

2009? "1-2 years away."

2012? "A few months away."

Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
The FACT is that no country in the world threatens to destroy another country, EXCEPT IRAN.
The US. The US even considered using nukes in some conflicts against non-nuclear powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
My point? Is it not obvious?
Iran cannot be allowed to be armed with nuclear weapons.
Then stop arming them.

Quote:
There has never been a state as far ahead in cumulative power as the US is relative to other states in the system.
No State ever emerged from a World War fully intact with 100% of its production capacity.

No State ever had a Bretton Woods Agreement.

No State ever conspired with another State to block global currency trading for its perceived Enemies.

No State ever had a currency that was the de facto international currency of trade.

No State ever had a currency that was the de facto international reserve currency.

No State ever had the manpower or military to force other States to surrender their Capital & Wealth.

Quote:
China is closing the gap slowly but for now we are untouchable.
Your "untouchable" only to the extent you can continue to rape other States of their Capital & Wealth, and to the extent that you can maintain the Petro-Dollar.

I might point out that Realists are not Ethnocentrists, like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Quote:
Let our position be absolutely clear: An attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force.

—Jimmy Carter, state of the union address, Jan. 23, 1980

JAH
Yeah, what about it?

I lived it, what did you do?

Carter wasn't just talking, he actually set up an RDF consisting of 23 combat brigades, including 2 marine amphibious brigades, the 6th Air Attack Brigade (III Corps) and most of the units from the 18th Airborne Corps.

Reagan later cut the RDF back to 16 brigades.

In part, you can thank me for that, since I proved a reinforced brigade with air support could sit at the Eastern Approach indefinitely (in Iran where the Iranian Plateau meets the Coastal Plain right at the foothills of the Zagros Mountains).

You should know that the Liberals have revised history and renamed the Carter Doctrine in honor of Bush to the Bush Doctrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes in 1980 they mattered a lot more then they do today. We are not as dependent on oil from that area as much these days. Welcome to 2015.

GDP + All Global USD denominated transactions = US Money Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Being #1 as in:

Highest per capita healthcare costs in the world?
The reason hospitals price-gouge Americans is because hospitals have a monopoly.

Congress cannot legally do anything, but your State legislators can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Spending as much on our military as the next 8-10 countries combined yet still fearing puissant nations like Iran?
It's not fear, rather it's practical military necessity borne out of Machiavellian politics.

The US Empire must expand and enslave the Central Asian States or the Empire will collapse.

Apolitically...

Mircea

Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

GDP + All Global USD denominated transactions = US Money Supply

Always love when Mircea quotes me out of context.

Mircea, I recommend you go read what I typed AFTER that.
IE:
"It would hurt the global economy (and via that, us), but if the global economy is worried, I might suggest they get off their butts and deal with it instead of assuming we will. Turns out that most of them want to negotiate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies