Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why do gays deserve hatred and bashing? Why have some been murdered for being gay? Why do they, in your view, deserve inequal rights to yours?
Where did I say that? Geez, man, you're like the news media. Putting words in peoples mouths.

This isn't about hating or bashing gays. Its about people or.a business having a right not to serve gay weddings. Not, not serving gay people, not providing a service for a gay wedding. All this, mostly media driven uproar over nothing. Making it out to be bigger than it is. Everyone is acting like its a right to say, no gays in my shop. Which is not the case

Old 04-02-2015, 12:27 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then they should have said that they do not cater any weddings.
no. they should have said what they said and it should not have been news. they should not have been attacked and they should be open for business today.

the real biggotry is the biggotry of "say what your told" and it aint coming from Memories Pizza. it isnt comeing from those who think like the people at Memories Pizza

Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Where did I say that? Geez, man, you're like the news media. Putting words in peoples mouths.

This isn't about hating or bashing gays. Its about people or.a business having a right not to serve gay weddings. Not, not serving gay people, not providing a service for a gay wedding. All this, mostly media driven uproar over nothing. Making it out to be bigger than it is. Everyone is acting like its a right to say, no gays in my shop. Which is not the case
The law apparently does allow people to say, "No gays in my shop."

Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
6841 donors have given over $194,000 at this point to Memories Pizza.
Hopefully it's not a fake account.

Anyone can create a go fund me account for anyone or anything. There is no requirement that the money goes to that person or business. There have been several cases where accounts were made and the person starting the drive kept the money.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why do gays deserve hatred and bashing? Why have some been murdered for being gay? Why do they, in your view, deserve inequal rights to yours?
Which person in the story bashed or hated gays? The O'Connors said they serve everyone, but would not PARTICIPATE in something against their beliefs. There are tons of activities I would never participate in for tons of different reasons, but that does not mean I hate those activities or the practitioners/participants thereof.

I would never "participate" in a political convention, even the Libertarian Party, on the basis that I find political pep rallies a waste of a rational person's time. But I do not hate people that do attend political conventions.

I would never "participate" in a Justin Beiber performance because I find him to be pinnacle of pop music banality, but I do not hate him or anyone else involved with his performances.

I would never "participate" in a gay wedding because a) I am Catholic and it indeed goes against my beliefs and b) because after all this, even if I was an atheist, Satanist or Grand Poobah of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I'd refuse to participate in a gay wedding simply to be contrary to a totalitarian mob who wants to force my associations according their whim. But I don't hate gay people, not even a little. Two of my wife's best friends are a married lesbian couple, and we all get along just fine.

One can oppose or refuse to participate in a thing without hating a thing or those involved with that thing. Only in these occasions where the thugs are out trolling for victims and villains are all things reduced to such binary choises of "either support me fully, or be cast as villain and exiled from the village"

Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Default And for your entertainment...

Memories Pizza - CLOSED - Walkerton, IN | Yelp

Gotta love the internet!

Think I'll send these poor people a few bucks. I'm not Christian, I voted against the ban against same sex marriage in California, I have people I love who are gay, yada yada...

But seriously... this is just getting weird. No one sees a difference between old fashioned religious folks and criminals who would beat up gays in the street.

There's been so much progress made since I was a kid, but now there seems to be a segment who's practicing the same intolerance to those who don't agree with them, or are having trouble adjusting to this brave new world.

It's kinda lookin' like a frenzy.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
They've been fined for it, and there's only one stop past being fined, right? When rent seeking thugs go looking for victims to send a message to the masses that they shall not be opposed, eventually a real casualty needs to be sacrificed on the right altar, thus to quell future uprising.

So sure, I can see the day where answering the "do you support **insert XYZ mob rule cause of the day here** " questions incorrectly actually results in loss of freedom. History has tons of examples of the progression of totalitarianism control over speech, expression and association.
Who has been fined for opposing SSM?

I have seen cases of people being fined for violations of the law, but not for their opinions.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:36 PM

157 posts, read 96,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
How are they homophobes when they said they would serve any gay customers who came into their shop? They only object to catering a gay wedding, which conflicts with religious beliefs; its not a blanket discrimination of homosexuals.
I've posted several time on this board about a lawsuit from 1964 (Piggie park BBQ). The owner was Christian with the sincere religious belief that God commanded the races not mix. Now, the owner (Maurice Bessinger) didn't blanket discriminate against black people - he would sell them food to go - but under no circumstances would he seat and serve black people in his restaurants.

Was Maurice Bessinger a racist? By the logic underlying your quote above, don't you have to answer "no"? He didn't blanket discriminate against black people - he only did so when it conflicted with this religious beliefs.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then don't offer wedding services. Simple solution.
It might seem simple to you, but to a Wedding photographer that is no solution at all. or to a bakery that makes custom wedding cakes.

You do not have a right to force anybody to participate in your sin in any way. Period. Go find a business that doesn't have a problem with it. What's hard about that?

There is only one reason these "gay's" target Christian owned businesses. It is to file a lawsuit and put them out of business, as has been the result in these cases. That is purely an evil intent. Nothing less.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Person "A" orders 20 pizzas for a wedding.

Person "B" orders 20 pizzas for a wedding.

Person "A" is sold the pizza, but person "B" isn't.

Same event (wedding) the only difference is who is purchasing the pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies