Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times

Advertisements

Why should anybody have to suffer a confiscatory taxation rate? Is a rich person less entitled to his money just because he has more of it than someone else?

If I ran the world, there would still be taxes to keep minimal government services running, but there would most certainly be no income tax. The government has no moral right to the money that I earned.

I'm with the others who pointed out the same thing ... why not turn the question around and ask why the government is so freaking greedy?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Question Why are the rich so greedy?

Because they've read Atlas Shrugged and they think Ayn Rand is a genius?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
The positin of the tax protestors is that a worker for wages has no "income"---a worker has traded days of life in exchange for money, with no net gain. That is part of the reason I oppose the income tax. I prefer a national sales tax. That way you pay $5,000 tax when you buy a new Hummer,and I pay $100 tax when I buy a rusty old Toyota, which seems progressive enough to me. IF there is only a national sales tax, it is a simple matter to be a tax protestor. Just don't buy anything.

At the bottom, the wage worker pays ALL the taxes. If I go to the dentist, the dentist would like to charge me $100, a fair rate, to fill a tooth. But the dentist is in a 35% marginal bracket, so he has to pay $35 of that in income tax. He just passes that along to me, by billing me $135. I'm in a 20% marginal bracket, so I need to earn $120 in order to pay the dentist. So I have just paid the income tax of both myself and the dentist, $55, which is more than half the original transaction. A transaction in which there was no "income" at all---just wealth changing hands, from my employer to the dentist, but I paid the fine. I pay the taxes of the Walton family, too. If they paid no income tax, they would charge me less for a widget. No, wait---I don't think the Walton family pays any income tax. If they do, they need a better tax lawyer.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-16-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
So what ,under the fair tax the dentist would have to add on 23% to your bill, so you would still be helping him pay his fair tax.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
What a grossly simplistic post.
The reason people are averse to taxes is because whenever you place an excessive burden on achievement to subsidize failure, it stifles the achievement to begin with. It's also a matter of fairness.

What moral obligation do higher achieving people bear to lower achieving people, given that most of their achievement comes from personal sacrifice? Yes, there will always be the idiot-sons inheriting the old widows cash, but most people who succeed financially do so through their own hard work and brainpower.
Contrary to the leftist myth that achievement can only be had if you're some sort of an "insider" or that it's impossible to achieve to a high degree without hurting (baby seals, blacks, Tibet, the whales- whatever), the people who do well do so because of the good decisions they make.

Why should the fruits of their good decision-making be taxed to subsidize things that are often times the direct result of poor decision-making? And just because people who are very successful are taxed in a higher bracket, that doesn't mean that they should simply accept that. Sometimes, the consequence isn't a fair result of the action in question, so you cannot simply dismiss it since the people who took that action had foreknowledge of it.

No, I believe that everyone should pay the same. Set the benchmark and whatever you make, you pay a percentage of that. Whether you make $1,000,000,000 a year or $100,000 a year, we all contribute alike. That way, there is nothing in place that punishes success, like higher tax brackets.
I wouldn't have any problem with eliminating ALL taxes for people in the lowest income brackets- say, under $30,000 a year.
I totally agree. It is not FAIR that anyone should pay more just because he makes more. I like the national sales tax idea too.
What I'd like is to see the government cut spending so we all could keep more of our money.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
I dunno, but sometimes I believe that being greedy and being ambitious is the same thing.
I only know that I'm neither, which explains why I’m not financially wealthy.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I dunno, but sometimes I believe that being greedy and being ambitious is the same thing.
One can be greedy and not financially well off.

One can be ambitious yet be destitute

They are not one and the same IMO

Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I only know that I'm neither, which explains why I’m not financially wealthy.
It's perceptive of you to make that nice dinstinction. There are many kinds of wealth.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
One can be greedy and not financially well off.

One can be ambitious yet be destitute

They are not one and the same IMO
I never claimed that ambition=greed.
I only stated that sometimes I believe that they are the same, but I know that they are not.
Although they sometimes do overlap.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I don't know of anyone who says, "Hurray! I paid taxes on my income and only took home this amount!"

Everyone I know of complains about taxes - the more overtime, the bigger percentage taken out. It's not greed, it's just wanting to keep what you earn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies