Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I am sure that someone wants a worker because Europe unemployment is higher than ours and people want to work.
Europe is a region and not a country. Each country has its own industry and it's own level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:58 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Europe is a region and not a country. Each country has its own industry and it's own level.
I know that Europe is not country but they are having big problem with immigrants and the US is having a similar problem.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Look at Europe they are having so problem because immigration.
I fail to see the connection between this statement and the post you quoted.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:13 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I fail to see the connection between this statement and the post you quoted.
You need to read the other ones

Old 04-15-2015, 02:34 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You have a whole lot of what's and are under some fantasy that citizens of the US state the 100% truth on their resumes. Well I've read 100's of them from US citizens and found 100's of them containing so much bloat that one has to crack up laughing at the amount of BS.
You miss the point entirely.

Americans who lie on their resumes are caught if any company does what they're supposed to do---check it out.

However, H1-Bs have lied about skills---read the links I posted. Yet, if a company gets some company like Tata to supply them H1-Bs, that company doesn't check out the H1-Bs.

You think helping an unemployed American relocate is an "entitlement"? Unbelievable!

Just admit it---you are looking for excused to NOT hire Americans and instead use H1-Bs. You do a very poor job of disguising your contempt of American workers.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I do not agree. US collage graduates are actually quite helpless entering real work environment and it takes a lot of time and effort to get them up to speed, while H1B are productive on day 1.
^Wrong! See post #91

Old 04-15-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many people in India and other countries want to come to the US and stay. H1b is just their first step. It'll be extremely naive to assume most Indians go back after a few years of H1b work. In fact, NONE of the Indians I know went back. None.
Of course you realize that you don't know all Indian H1-Bs, right?

You also know that a lot of them lose their H1-Bs, don't get a green card but instead stay here illegally?

450,000 illegal immigrants in US are from India: Report - The Times of India

Not all H1-Bs get green cards:

H1B Revoked, Withdrawal, Termination

Old 04-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Some of you cheerleaders for H1-Bs complain that you supposedly can't find Americans.

Yet...there is one person here who would refuse help to Americans who are unemployed and need help to relocate. He even called that --- in so many words --- entitlement behavior.

Then there are the ones who complain that not enough Americans are going into STEM/IT fields. Yet American kids who want to go into these fields are well aware that companies are gaming the system and hiring H1-Bs over Americans. These kids also know that they could land a job only to be replaced by an H1-B. For those who have to take out loans, they wonder if they will be without work and stuck with a mountain of student loan debt.

Then there are the ones, when the above is pointed out, ignore it and say that only Americans who graduate from Ivy league type schools are acceptable to them. Never mind that there are Indians graduating from inferior schools but it's okay to hire them on H1-Bs.

Then there was the post that claimed Americans who were replaced by H1-Bs weren't training their replacements. Instead, the Americans were being let go because 12 of them were doing a job that could be done by one person. To this remark, I say---Congratulations! You've just proven this to be true---WE DON'T NEED ANY H1-Bs AT ALL.

After all, if one H1-B is replacing 12 Americans, then there isn't a shortage of experienced American citizen IT workers. Thanks for proving that!

Old 04-15-2015, 03:13 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Some of the articles I read suggest employers are using the H-1B visa as an excuse to fire Americans and hire foreign workers to replace them.

Don't get me wrong, I hope these senators stop the abuse, but after looking at some of the names of these people, I fear it will just be another politically motivated ploy.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:54 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Some of you cheerleaders for H1-Bs complain that you supposedly can't find Americans.
I'm probably what you consider one of those cheerleaders, I've never said I can't find Americans, I said I couldn't find many Americans who meet the bar.

Quote:
Yet...there is one person here who would refuse help to Americans who are unemployed and need help to relocate. He even called that --- in so many words --- entitlement behavior.
It is entitlement behavior.

Look it's simple, if you're living in BFNowhere and you're a professor of Neurological Research there's probably little need for your skills in BFNowhere. So you move at your own cost to say Johns Hopkins, because the overall cost to move is lower than not receiving income your skills demand. If you stay in BFNowhere don't cry that no one will pay relocation expenses for you to move to Johns Hopkins, or that you're not working, or that you're paid less than you deserve, you own that, don't cry about it.

Quote:
Then there are the ones who complain that not enough Americans are going into STEM/IT fields. Yet American kids who want to go into these fields are well aware that companies are gaming the system and hiring H1-Bs over Americans. These kids also know that they could land a job only to be replaced by an H1-B. For those who have to take out loans, they wonder if they will be without work and stuck with a mountain of student loan debt.
They're not hiring H-1B's to game the system an American is no more expensive than an H-1B, in fact an H-1B has legal costs not associated with Americans.

What's happening is that many companies choose to outsource for cost (and other) reasons. Those outsource companies have a few H-1B's (in comparison to their entire workforce), some L-1's (which is not an H-1B) and a lot of people working offshore (who don't need visas at all).

Quote:
Then there are the ones, when the above is pointed out, ignore it and say that only Americans who graduate from Ivy league type schools are acceptable to them. Never mind that there are Indians graduating from inferior schools but it's okay to hire them on H1-Bs.
How do you know Indians are graduating from inferior schools, IIT Bombay produces CS grads who are comparable with many US Educational establishments, except CM, MIT, FIT, Stanford, and UW (you'll note the absence of Yale/Harvard and Princeton, because they're not in my opinion as good for CS as the five I listed they're good engineering courses but not CS). Are you also claiming that European Universities are less capable than US universities? How about say Oxford, or Cambridge? What about Aachen? How about say Toronto, and Montreal? Or ETH Zurich or Lausanne, or Tokyo, or National University of Singapore? (I can go on for a while).

Quote:
Then there was the post that claimed Americans who were replaced by H1-Bs weren't training their replacements. Instead, the Americans were being let go because 12 of them were doing a job that could be done by one person. To this remark, I say---Congratulations! You've just proven this to be true---WE DON'T NEED ANY H1-Bs AT ALL.
No what he proved was that the IT Department was too big, and that when they hired a contract company they replaced the in house IT company with 3 FTE's.

Quote:
After all, if one H1-B is replacing 12 Americans, then there isn't a shortage of experienced American citizen IT workers. Thanks for proving that!
Actually he proved the opposite. How effective do you think those 12 Americans must have been to be replaced by one single H-1B? They must have all been slobbering knuckledraggers for the company (before consulting anyone) couldn't tell that it was overstaffed just by productivity. If you have a bunch of idiots who don't know what they're doing, managed by people who do not know what their idiots are supposed to be doing. You find that when someone who knows what they're doing sees the idiots, those idiots are removed and replaced by significantly fewer people who have got a clue. The assumption you make is that those 12 Americans were experienced American Citizen IT workers, clearly they were not, if they're replaced by a team of 1 (with two others as cover).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies