Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 04:16 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
By best, you mean the stupidest? If a company has to hire one H1B to replace 12 Americans but can't find 1 American to replace the said 12, that's precisely the shortage we are talking about.
Exactly! Are they trying to say that they couldn't get 1 out of those 12 Americans they let go to do that very same job an H1-B is doing?

It's all about cheap, exploitable labor. I bet those H1-Bs are putting in long hours and getting paid less.

If it's a matter of saving money, then revamp the IT department. If 1 person can do the work that 12 are doing without putting in 80 hour weeks, then hire an experienced American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I think you mistake my contempt for idiots and morons, and people who make extraordinary claims about their abilities that are proved to be false, for contempt for Americans. I don't have contempt for Americans, but I don't cut slack to idiots and morons and people who make extraordinary claims about their abilities that are proved to be false just because those people are American.

Get over yourself.

If you can replace 12 workers with 1 skilled worker, what do you call those 12 workers? Underskilled? If you rearrange the words of "Slobbering Knuckledragger" you can form the word "underskilled".
No, Sir. It is you who needs to "get over yourself". How do you know that all those Americans who were displaced by H1-Bs are all "idiots and morons"? Do you mean to tell me that of those 12 Americans who were let go and replaced by 1 H1-B are all "idiots and morons"? I don't believe that at all.

Yet you don't have contempt for H1-Bs who submit fraudulent resumes? Nor do you have contempt for companies who then hire them without doing a background check? Yet these same companies checked Americans who wanted to be hired to see if they were being truthful. Why do you advocate for a double standard?

Did you read the article I quoted in post #91? All those H1-Bs that you consider to be geniuses, are not.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
What happens when a couple, here on a H1B Visa, has a baby here in America?

I know of a number of couples who went to our universities, then stayed on to work with their H1B visa while having a baby here.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
No, Sir. It is you who needs to "get over yourself". How do you know that all those Americans who were displaced by H1-Bs are all "idiots and morons"? Do you mean to tell me that of those 12 Americans who were let go and replaced by 1 H1-B are all "idiots and morons"? I don't believe that at all.
I don't but I do know that at least 11 of them were, and for that if I'm wrong I sincerely apologize to that person.

If one person can replace the entire productivity of 12, then the logical conclusion is that either all 12 are effectively as productive as 1/12th of that person, or 1 person is 100% as productive as that person, and 11 are not productive at all, or some distribution throughout the 12. If there is one person being 100% productive (to 11 net zero's), then in that instance I apologize sincerely for them receiving the unwarranted brunt of my general contempt for that group. If there never was such a person, then yes they're all idiots and morons.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

After all, if one H1-B is replacing 12 Americans, then there isn't a shortage of experienced American citizen IT workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Best. Comment. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
By best, you mean the stupidest? If a company has to hire one H1B to replace 12 Americans but can't find 1 American to replace the said 12, that's precisely the shortage we are talking about.
Honestly, I'm out of words to describe that comment. If I were able to have a signature, I would put the comment in it.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:36 PM

Whatever.

Just admit that if 12 experienced American citizen IT workers are let go and replaced with 1 H1-B visa holder, then there is no shortage of experienced Americans.

Just because there are 12 people doing a job that 1 person could do, does NOT necessarily say that those 12 people were all incompetent. They are obviously experienced as they were given jobs.

If anything, it points to those who are hiring who aren't aware that job functions can be performed using fewer employees. That is NOT the fault of those who were hired to do so.

Rather than let everybody go and bring in an H1-B, why didn't they just streamline and trim the fat? If there were no H1-Bs, that's what would have been done.

Letting 12 experienced people go in order to replace them with H1-B "freshers" clearly says that H1-Bs are NOT needed. Why is it okay to hire H1-B "freshers" rather than American citizens who just graduated college and have the skills to do the very same job? Why is it okay to hire H1-B "freshers" when there are experienced Americans available?

Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I don't but I do know that at least 11 of them were, and for that if I'm wrong I sincerely apologize to that person.

If one person can replace the entire productivity of 12, then the logical conclusion is that either all 12 are effectively as productive as 1/12th of that person, or 1 person is 100% as productive as that person, and 11 are not productive at all, or some distribution throughout the 12. If there is one person being 100% productive (to 11 net zero's), then in that instance I apologize sincerely for them receiving the unwarranted brunt of my general contempt for that group. If there never was such a person, then yes they're all idiots and morons.
If only one of those 12 is actually competent and the other 11 are freeloaders, firing all 12 of them and hiring one other competent person is still better than keeping all 12 of them. Why would you waste a million dollars a year on those 11 freeloaders? This is no-brainer.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
'''
No what he proved was that the IT Department was too big, and that when they hired a contract company they replaced the in house IT company with 3 FTE's.

Addition:

It was not three Full Time Equivalents, it was three Full Time Employees. The company didn't use part time employees. The original payrate average was $16/hr. They dropped it to an average of $10/hr. The skills actually needed to know was using excel and waiting for an error code in a system, attempting to type in a command to resolve it or walking up to the server (tower) and seeing what error was on the server itself and attempting to resolve it at the server (they didn't need to understand the OS, responses were given in a manual). The excel part was required to copy the error and log it. There were 12 people doing this on different platforms. We placed monitoring software on each location (cubicle) and found that every one of them was using the company computer to surf the net and also bringing in their own laptops to do further surfing and bypass the firewall. They spent over 90% of their time doing this plus a few other things. We did the same study again with the three people per shift with the company cutting out the problems we mentioned in our report and found that on average of two hours of actual work was done per shift. But now with these replacements, instead of doing what was done before they took extended breaks (some came close to 4 hrs) and were using their smartphones to surf the net. It required another set of protocols and new security to be put in (cameras, swipe panels, computers that required a response every 15 minutes). We actually came in a third time and the company removed the break room and replaced it with vending machines and a coffee/tea area without tables/chairs. The costs this company went through in just one year just to resolve one section was unimaginable

These were all American citizens sitting in an American site.

Now another note to keep in mind that this employer did allow work/life usage (paying bills, emailing family, etc) on their systems. But oh did they abuse it.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:41 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Addition:

It was not three Full Time Equivalents, it was three Full Time Employees. The company didn't use part time employees. The original payrate average was $16/hr. They dropped it to an average of $10/hr. The skills actually needed to know was using excel and waiting for an error code in a system, attempting to type in a command to resolve it or walking up to the server (tower) and seeing what error was on the server itself and attempting to resolve it at the server (they didn't need to understand the OS, responses were given in a manual). The excel part was required to copy the error and log it. There were 12 people doing this on different platforms. We placed monitoring software on each location (cubicle) and found that every one of them was using the company computer to surf the net and also bringing in their own laptops to do further surfing and bypass the firewall. They spent over 90% of their time doing this plus a few other things. We did the same study again with the three people per shift with the company cutting out the problems we mentioned in our report and found that on average of two hours of actual work was done per shift. But now with these replacements, instead of doing what was done before they took extended breaks (some came close to 4 hrs) and were using their smartphones to surf the net. It required another set of protocols and new security to be put in (cameras, swipe panels, computers that required a response every 15 minutes). We actually came in a third time and the company removed the break room and replaced it with vending machines and a coffee/tea area without tables/chairs. The costs this company went through in just one year just to resolve one section was unimaginable

These were all American citizens sitting in an American site.

Now another note to keep in mind that this employer did allow work/life usage (paying bills, emailing family, etc) on their systems. But oh did they abuse it.
I could replace all 3 of the replacements. You're describing what should be automated. I could do that pretty quickly...then spend the rest of my time surfing cat videos.

The replacements? Probably ALSO too many for the job. This isn't Americans vs H1-B's, this is horrific management, and a work culture that says "We've always done it this way"

Old 04-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Interestingly, despite the abuses at certain companies, H-1B workers are actually paid more than their American counterparts on an average basis.

H-1B Visas and the STEM Shortage | Brookings Institution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies