Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It's not a "huge loss" if H1-Bs have to go home. If anything, it's a gain for their home countries.

The Indian ones are needed in India far, far more than they are needed here. India is not some first world paradise and it needs its educated people to stay put and work to make India better place.

How many Indians are actually able to "jump ship"? I'm guessing very few. In fact, a lot of them can't find new jobs when their visas are up because no employer will sponsor them. Many just stay here illegally. Besides, if they keep "jumping ship", who is going to sponsor them for a green card?

It's appalling to see people come into this thread and not only disparage Americans but bend over backwards to defend H1-Bs. To all who do this, what's your dog in this fight?

That's right what Greywar said. Ask your American friends how long it took them to find work when they get laid off. It took my husband, an experienced IT professional who has received awards and bonuses for his work, 10 months to find a new job. Those H1-Bs who get green cards and are now in a position to hire blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.
Then we see what happened to me where I applied for a marketing director job which I was qualified and it went to an Indian. I didn't take the minimum wage job they offered me instead but no doubt there would have been sexual harassment since they only wanted thin non smoker non mothers. They don't assimilate, they stick to their own kind and they hire their own kind for all kinds of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
As I mentioned, some of them may not be familiar with the Holocaust, compared to Americans (though I doubt it), but they may know better about the history of the Vedic Civilization, or the Achaemenid Empire.
America has a lot of Jews and the media like to talk about it. But in Iran or India, it is totally different. It's just like only a few Americans know about the Rape of Nanking, but everyone in East Asia heard of it.

Or at least they speak a second language relatively fluently. How many Americans can do that?
Plenty of Americans can. I know more Americans who are functionally bilingual than Americans who aren't. Down here in Texas, it's very common for people...even white Americans...to be able to speak Spanish even if they haven't studied it formally. I also know people who are fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Farsi, Hebrew, French, German, etc. None are immigrants either.

I myself was raised a polyglot. I am fluent in four languages and can get by in a few more. (All four grandparents were immigrants.)

And who the hell doesn't know about the Rape of Nanking? I studied that in 9th grade.

I've met Indians who've never heard of Louis Mountbatten.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Then we see what happened to me where I applied for a marketing director job which I was qualified and it went to an Indian. I didn't take the minimum wage job they offered me instead but no doubt there would have been sexual harassment since they only wanted thin non smoker non mothers. They don't assimilate, they stick to their own kind and they hire their own kind for all kinds of jobs.
That's terrible. The investigation should pay extra attention to Indian employers. I've been advocating for scrutiny of Indian companies for a while. The Indian programmers I know graduated from US institutions, and none of them works for an Indian company. Ironic, isn't it?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
That's terrible. The investigation should pay extra attention to Indian employers. I've been advocating for scrutiny of Indian companies for a while. The Indian programmers I know graduated from US institutions, and none of them works for an Indian company. Ironic, I know.
A friend told me, he interviewed an American programmer and recommended him, but the Indian manager was "strongly against it" and eventually they hired an Indian. I suppose it is very common now.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:06 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have yet to see a single H1B who could replace 12 people. It's more the other way around...you'd need at least 3-4 H1Bs to match a single competent American.
No, you need one competent person to match another competent person. Use logic, not emotion.

I understand if you are resentful, but no need to make stuff up. We lost most of our jobs to India too, but I am not going to make stuff up about them. Some of the best programmers I have worked with are Russians and Indians.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
That's terrible. The investigation should pay extra attention to Indian employers. I've been advocating for scrutiny of Indian companies for a while. The Indian programmers I know graduated from US institutions, and none of them works for an Indian company. Ironic, isn't it?
I reported them to the Department of Labor (or was it EEOC?) and they have a F with the BBB but nothing was probably done.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, you need one competent person to match another competent person. Use logic, not emotion.

I understand if you are resentful, but no need to make stuff up. We lost most of our jobs to India too, but I am not going to make stuff up about them. Some of the best programmers I have worked with are Russians and Indians.
From hearing people's personal experiences with H-1B's, I find that H-1B's make up a large and very diverse pool. Few of us have experienced both ends of the spectrum. Those that people like you and I know belong to a different class from those that he has encountered. There are competent H-1B workers that work at Microsoft making 100k+, and there are the incompetent ones working at the outsourcing companies making 60k-70k. We want to attract and retain only the competent ones, and we can achieve this by eliminating the abuses of the visa, aka the bad apples, and then possibly raise of eliminate the cap. We have a shortage of good programmers, but not a shortage of incompetent ones.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nope, it wasn't that they didn't know the English word for the Holocaust. They literally did not know about it.

I am no expert in world history, but we did study all of those events in my high school world history class.

HaShoah

Old 04-16-2015, 02:17 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not the ones I have seen. H1Bs aren't treated any different from Americans. They are paid mostly the same and treated the same.

In most cases, if they could get 1 out of those 12 to do the job the H1B is doing, they would.

Here's my personal hiring experience. I put out a job description to hire a programmer with a bachelor degrees. Of the 200 resumes that I got, maybe 2-3 Americans actually have a bachelor's degree and often from university.com type schools. On the other hand, the foreigners, mostly students in US, all have masters from top universities.

What would you do if you were me?
I would hire an American. It seems to me that the ones with advanced degrees would be overqualified. The fact that you got Americans applying tells me that we don't need H1-Bs.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:20 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You are too stuck on education and completely skip over work ethics.
I'm not stuck on education. It's you H1-B cheerleaders who keep bringing it up.

You mention "1950s work ethic". Yet, at the same time, you H1-B cheerleaders have no problems dumping older, experienced Americans who keep their skills up to date in favor of young H1-Bs. We all know why that is---you can pay the H1-B a lot less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies