Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 04:35 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Where is the data?
From the article...

Neither California senator signed on.
"Southern California Edison ought to be the tipping point that finally compels Washington to take needed actions to protect American workers,"

https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...ycle=2014#cont

There you have it, a US Senator, bought and ****in`paid for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 04:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
And your answers in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Show me a link to back up your assertion that the majority of Americans who decide to work abroad never return to this country. Just because you wouldn't return to the US ... doesn't mean that other Americans are like you.

They are not assertions. They are 10 years of facts from working in other countries and hanging out with other Americans in multiple fields which even includes Oil Riggers. I'll make it simple and cover only one benefit. Make enough money in a year that a person can take vacations or time off that adds up to 3-6 months (I take a little over 3 months).

I have to wonder--- you attack me because I believe that Americans come first. Just like Indians come first in their country, Japanese come first in their country and on and on. Would you attack people in other countries who believe ---rightly so --- that their citizens come first?

You have assumptions and no personal reality to make these statements. I can list numerous countries and state why they import labor, but I'm not going to waste my time on a person who is deaf to reality.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
From the article...

Neither California senator signed on.
"Southern California Edison ought to be the tipping point that finally compels Washington to take needed actions to protect American workers,"

There you have it, a US Senator, bought and ****in`paid for!
We already have a thread that covers California Edison. It's outsourcing and not H-1Bs. It's comparing Union wages/work to reality wages/work.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:11 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
I said that I was out of this thread but will leave all of you who think you have a right to pass over an American in favor of an H1-B with this:

H-1B Visa - H1-B Dependent Employer - Zhang & Associates, P.C.| Attorneys in Silicon Valley, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and Austin

from the link:

The H-1B dependent employer must also make a good faith effort to recruit U.S. workers for the position using industry-wide standards before hiring an H-1B worker. The employer must recruit potential U.S. workers for the position through advertising, job fairs, and other forms of industry-wide recruitment. Furthermore, the employer must offer the job to any equally or better qualified U.S. worker who applies for the position. The employer must also not favor current nonimmigrant employees who have not yet obtained H-1B status, e.g. students currently working under an occupational practical training program.

------------------------------
So, yes, in America, Americans come first when hiring. Period.

Of course well all know that there are those who game the system and bypass qualified Americans and by doing so, break the law.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I said that I was out of this thread but will leave all of you who think you have a right to pass over an American in favor of an H1-B with this:

from the link:

The H-1B dependent employer must also make a good faith effort to recruit U.S. workers for the position using industry-wide standards before hiring an H-1B worker. The employer must recruit potential U.S. workers for the position through advertising, job fairs, and other forms of industry-wide recruitment. Furthermore, the employer must offer the job to any equally or better qualified U.S. worker who applies for the position. The employer must also not favor current nonimmigrant employees who have not yet obtained H-1B status, e.g. students currently working under an occupational practical training program.

------------------------------
So, yes, in America, Americans come first when hiring. Period.

Of course well all know that there are those who game the system and bypass qualified Americans and by doing so, break the law.
Okay. I've got this one employer up in NY who wants me so badly that his HR person calls/emails me nearly every week for the past two month. I keep on telling them "No" I will not move to NYS. They offer me a better package each time they contact me. Since I'm part of a very short list (and I know who the other ones are), what is that employer supposed to do?

Now hypothetically if I took this Job I would have to put a stop to my LLC since it would be a conflict of interest and a dozen subcontractors would become unemployed (plus whomever works for them would also lose their jobs).

So now resolve this "real" situation.

fwiw my children are all grown up and have moved on and my wife has her own LLC for the work she does. We both telecommute as contractors and do have clients that we each have to fly to at least once a month.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:40 AM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Your situation is irrelevant since you say you were born here. You are not an H1-B. You've also said that your "subs" are all Americans.

I don't understand why you are even mentioning this.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Your situation is irrelevant since you say you were born here. You are not an H1-B. You've also said that your "subs" are all Americans.

I don't understand why you are even mentioning this.
I have the requirements for his needs. My subs don't. So:

If I don't take the job and no other current American that actually applied for it is qualified, where does he get someone to fill his requirements?

Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If I don't take the job and no other current American that actually applied for it is qualified, where does he get someone to fill his requirements?
It's ok, some American college grad can take the position, because all people and positions are entirely interchangeable. Right?

Old 04-18-2015, 03:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No more than 350 are worth keeping, you need fillers and people to cover, but you'll find that in most IT companies the number of people doing real innovation is incredibly small. Sure it looks big on the surface because there's a 100 man team on the project, but there's one or two guys who are pushing that innovation and without them the rest aren't going anywhere at all. Don't get me wrong either fillers and cover people are critically important too, and are also smart and motivated, but they're not your creative sparks and often will never be consistently creative sparks, but they can also have moments of inspiration.

If you need to filter 350k to get 350 per year, and you need 700 per year not 350 per year and if you don't have them, then you're screwed. Where are you going to get them? Two choices, do without and lose technological edge, or expand the candidacy outside US borders, and do the same.
I see.

Well, Congress is pushing for a 200k+ annual cap. I'm sure we can find some innovators among those 200k+ each year....

In your experience, how does the average H-1B STEM worker compare to the average American STEM graduate?

Old 04-18-2015, 03:52 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
I see.

Well, Congress is pushing for a 200k+ annual cap. I'm sure we can find some innovators among those 200k+ each year....
Depends on what the demand is. If it's still not enough, it's still not enough. People enter and leave at different rates, so one year you may want "a lot" and another you may need "a few". Static government mandated quota's cannot respond to those variances. It may be more beneficial to eliminate annual caps and move to longer time period caps of say 3M per decade. It would require employers to be more responsible in their consumption of candidates and allow more elasticity. Right now if you hit quota a month into a new cycle, you have 11 months delay. If you hit quota 1 year into a decade cycle, you have 9 years delay (which is a complete eternity, and probably 2-3 hardware generations, and at least two major OS upgrades).

Quote:
In your experience, how does the average H-1B STEM worker compare to the average STEM graduate?
In all but around 5 or 6 US universities, they're probably as a group better. In any but 5 or 6 US universities they're except for a few exceptional candidates suitable for internship, to see how they develop.

However as someone said, there's different markets even within software/IT. I'm talking MLB/NBA/NFL level, and someone else may be Varsity, or High School levels.

That all said, you have to remember that the people who's resume's I screened already had passed prescreening and screening. I got around 1% of all candidates, who applied, and I invited to interview around 1% of those, and of those 1% my personal hire rate was 5%. So in 10 years with around 100 interviews (my rates were comparable to everyone elses where I've worked) that's 1,000,000 resumes screened for 5 successful candidates, now there may have been candidates who applied for multiple instances of those 100 interviews, but that's an example of scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies