Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

If anything, it points to those who are hiring who aren't aware that job functions can be performed using fewer employees....
That process was changed also. Instead of having multiple levels of interviewing, they switched over to a panel of people who did the interviews all in the same day (or couple of days depending on the chosen applicant pool).

fwiw:

Many applicants know that a resume (or application) can't be fully verified. All that can truly be verified is if they went to school and if they actually worked for an employer. most former employers will not put out their necks and state anything more than if they worked there, how long they were there and the title they held. Depending on the company, if a person or multiple people are selected then they are advised a background check will be done. How intensive depends on the company and they usually tell you if you intend to apply for credit within the next six months, that they may declined.

All my sub contractors go through the intense background checks. But for some of the companies they've been assigned to, they end up doing another intense background check by that company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Interestingly, despite the abuses at certain companies, H-1B workers are actually paid more than their American counterparts on an average basis.

H-1B Visas and the STEM Shortage | Brookings Institution
Go read your link, and then read the update. From the update:
Quote:
We do not contend that our analysis is the last word on whether H-1B workers are treated well
or paid wages more or less than comparable Americans. As we explicitly stated, we believe more research with better data should be conducted, whether
by us or other scholars interested in the issues
Basically the link you provide isn't really all that good of a source. Doesn't deal with titles being different, etc etc etc. Its garbage.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Go read your link, and then read the update. From the update:

Basically the link you provide isn't really all that good of a source. Doesn't deal with titles being different, etc etc etc. Its garbage.
If you think any one research article can conclusively determine something, you're mistaken. Basically the update says that the research is not intended to be the last word on an issue, which no research ever is.

I cited the article because of the observation I made above. H-1B workers are paid more than their American counterparts according to the research. If you find an article that says otherwise, I'm all ears.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I could replace all 3 of the replacements. You're describing what should be automated. I could do that pretty quickly...then spend the rest of my time surfing cat videos.

The replacements? Probably ALSO too many for the job. This isn't Americans vs H1-B's, this is horrific management, and a work culture that says "We've always done it this way"
Can't be done currently with today's technology. At this upper level human interaction is still required. The interactions are not GUIs and resemble DOS from the 80's. This part can be done from a persons home, but until robots can replace people then human interaction is still required when having to deal with servers that one can actually walks into. But it also depends on the protocols of certain companies. Some require physical attention be given within 15 minutes and some require 2 hours. The 2 hour ones have no IT personnel on site and if a situation does arise then a third party has a contract to send a physical person to deal with it. I actually have one of those contracts and on average I have a person (or myself) on site within 45 minutes to simply press a reset button because the software in place decided not to.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Your solution will not work and the answer is in the question

Why do Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook remain where they are?

It's convenient. That is entirely all that it is. Any one of them can pick their ball up and move somewhere else, it will be unfortunate for non-essential personnel, but the company isn't going to suffer much other than a minor blip on the earnings statement (and yes it's a minor blip, when you have say $90B in cash, and spend $10B relocating yourself, and your essential staff, it's just a blip). They're already global with facilities off shore in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, etc.

So you'll never get a situation where US STEM/IT workers are fielding several job offers at great salaries, because those offers would be all overseas before then, earning no American worker incomes (and no income taxes), and paying no US corporate taxes. That's the truth of the matter, and with those would go all of the support positions, and service industries that provide for them, and those worker incomes (and income taxes) and no corporate taxes.

Those corps need not only people but good people, if they get them here, that's great, if here prevents them bringing them in, they'll move to where they can bring them in, downsize their US ops, move HQ to that place, and build it up. What do you think Seattle would look like then? Or Palo Alto/Sunnyvale/Cupertino. Can we say economic deserts?
I've thought a lot about what you said. Since I have a lot of friends that come from countries in Asia and Europe, and I myself have traveled to these places, I've seen the level of computer science education college students there are receiving. Those countries do not have such a thing as a nerd culture; intellectual careers such as computer science and engineering are not looked at unfavorably by anyone. I'd say their CS education is quickly catching up with the US and has even surpassed it in many aspects. If Microsoft moves their operations to Germany or Singapore, I have no doubt that people will flock over from other European or Asian countries to go work for them. Programming is a very portable, transferable skill. We had the upper hand because we basically founded computer science, but other countries are quickly catching up.

I see little reason for Microsoft or Google to not move a larger portion of their staff to Asia actually. Instead of paying software engineers 100k per year, they'd only need to pay 20k-30k. These are global companies; they don't have to act all patriotic and stay in the US just because they were founded here. I guess, for now the Bay Area, Seattle, and NYC are still major tech hubs, and the US is still producing more high quality software engineers than most if not all other countries. It's just more convenient for graduates from US computer science programs to stay and work in the US. If they move operations to say China, I'm sure many of these will not hesitate to move for the privilege of working for a world-class company.

And what if China produces more high-quality software engineers than the US? It's a scary scenario.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Can't be done currently with today's technology. At this upper level human interaction is still required. The interactions are not GUIs and resemble DOS from the 80's. This part can be done from a persons home, but until robots can replace people then human interaction is still required when having to deal with servers that one can actually walks into. But it also depends on the protocols of certain companies. Some require physical attention be given within 15 minutes and some require 2 hours. The 2 hour ones have no IT personnel on site and if a situation does arise then a third party has a contract to send a physical person to deal with it. I actually have one of those contracts and on average I have a person (or myself) on site within 45 minutes to simply press a reset button because the software in place decided not to.
Use a gpio wired to the system above it, and connected to the front panel jumper switches. Oddly enough Im doing work involving that right now

Alternatively have them all set to boot on poweron via the bios, and control the power with a web power switch.

And monitoring servers and automating this sort of thing can be done by people that know the technology. Seriously unless you are doing a physical repair of a failing hard drive, you shouldnt need to go out.

But lets assume its more then that. If its more then reset, if its your infrastructure. Basically its how good do you want it to be, how much are you willing to spend, and how good are your people, and how well are you managing everything.

And yes you'd be amazed at what you can actually do with todays technology. Do you even use ipmi over LAN for example? The things you can do with just that are...amazing.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Interestingly, despite the abuses at certain companies, H-1B workers are actually paid more than their American counterparts on an average basis.
I think that most people who type in these H-1B threads don't understand this simple concept from your link:

Quote:
...The vast majority—90 percent—of H-1B applications are for jobs requiring high-level STEM knowledge...

For some reason they think these are recent college graduates and they're not. There was a massive brain destruction that turned into a drain that lasted over a decade in the US allowed by our gov't for pure corporate greed. They didn't think of the long term effects. We had idiots telling other idiots basically that as technology grew that everyone would simply throw out their old hardware and purchase new hardware and also upgrade to the most current OS. As we know that didn't happen and as many of us know, there are numerous systems still using DOS and not Windows. I still have contracts that I'm still coding MVS and JCL for (70's-80's software). The reality is that those of us who took our skills elsewhere are doing much better than before working outside of the US and we're not going to come back and fill these positions that are currently paying the 90's payscale. The US now needs H-1Bs because the people in other countries didn't listen to other idiots and have the pool of people to do so. It's not an easy fix as we are now aging out and there are no Americans being taught the old stuff. There are plenty of people with high skills but they are the wrong skills for numerous companies that didn't spend Millions updating their hardware and thus their software.

If I didn't say it somewhere in this thread, the US gov't needs to invest in its current citizens and stop treating it as a political volley ball.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
H1-B visas: Would lifting the cap really attract the 'brightest and best' to the US? - TechRepublic

From the article:

But painting these individuals as exceptional, rather than degree-educated workers of the type available in the US, is questionable. Hira's FOI request data revealed the education levels of H1-B workers at the 20 companies hiring the largest number of H1-B workers between the 2010 and 2012 financial years. The figures show that in all these firms the majority of H1-B employees held no more than a Bachelor of Science (BS), and in the case of Cognizant, the largest employer of H1-B workers, four-fifth of workers were educated to BS-level. Cognizant declined to comment.

---------------------------------------------
If I didn't say it somewhere in this thread, the US gov't needs to invest in its current citizens and stop treating it as a political volley ball.

^All those fees collected from those sponsoring H1-Bs were supposed to be used to fund scholarships for American students wanting to study IT. Has any of that money been used in the way it was intended, or not?

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Use a gpio wired to the system above it, and connected to the front panel jumper switches. Oddly enough Im doing work involving that right now

Alternatively have them all set to boot on poweron via the bios, and control the power with a web power switch.

And monitoring servers and automating this sort of thing can be done by people that know the technology. Seriously unless you are doing a physical repair of a failing hard drive, you shouldnt need to go out.

But lets assume its more then that. If its more then reset, if its your infrastructure. Basically its how good do you want it to be, how much are you willing to spend, and how good are your people, and how well are you managing everything.

And yes you'd be amazed at what you can actually do with todays technology. Do you even use ipmi over LAN for example? The things you can do with just that are...amazing.
Try that on this:

IBM TS3500 Tape Library: Overview

Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
From the article:

But painting these individuals as exceptional, rather than degree-educated workers of the type available in the US, is questionable. Hira's FOI request data revealed the education levels of H1-B workers at the 20 companies hiring the largest number of H1-B workers between the 2010 and 2012 financial years. The figures show that in all these firms the majority of H1-B employees held no more than a Bachelor of Science (BS), and in the case of Cognizant, the largest employer of H1-B workers, four-fifth of workers were educated to BS-level. Cognizant declined to comment.

^All those fees collected from those sponsoring H1-Bs were supposed to be used to fund scholarships for American students wanting to study IT. Has any of that money been used in the way it was intended, or not?
Issue here is what is the standard for as BS degree? Asian and European degrees have very little filler and are STEM. From what I've seen from current US transcripts, they have too much filler and not enough STEM. So you're not matching apples to apples. This needs to be fixed first. Scholarships are not needed for those who simply want to study IT, it needs to go to those who can maintain a B or higher is STEM classes only and thus not end up with high debt upon graduation and instead have the funds to get further education and cerifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies