Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:58 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Hope you're not talking about a wife because you'll probably be paying reparations for life!

Hell, no. My wife has complete freedom. I don't own her bank account.
Now my daughter..... She must do the dishes or get the whip! I no longer have to threaten with her any longer. She does her jobs around the house now, without asking or telling.... My slave and I love her to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 AM

78,523 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Everyone on this forum has a slave owner in their family tree. Just not all of us have had it recently enough or in the right country to be documented.

<shrug>

Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What the hell is the big deal? You had about 1,000 great-ancestors living in the year 1800. What are the chances that one of them was a slave-owner? You had a million different ancestors living in 1600, when slavery was common in almost every country in the world, so no matter where you came from there was a slave owner in your family tree.

In my case, I know for a fact, through DNA evidence, that I am descended from a man whose will is online for everyone to read, naming the 27 "negroes" that he left to each of his heirs, when he died in 1802.

The only thing to be ashamed of is the fact that I owe allegiance to the last country in the western hemisphere in which free people finally abolished slavery -- a country whose citizens took up arms twice in wars to defend slavery in its last gasp.

Americans think it is shameful to be of Mexican ancestry, yet the US went to war against Mexico, which had abolished slavery, in order to re-introduce slavery into Mexican territory. How much do you wanna bet that Affleck wouldn't want you to know if he had Mexican ancestors, either -- something one should be proud of, if slavery is an issue in your background.
On this date in 1888, Brazil abolished slavery.

Brazil Abolishes slavery | African American Registry

I'm guessing your of Brazilian family? Slavery was stopped in the US in 1865.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,155,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Ben Affleck Pressured PBS to Edit Out Slave-Owning Grandfather in Ancestry Doc - Breitbart

I bet a lot of people have slave owners in their family if their ancestors are from the South. The celebrities who are on this show have a problem if they want to hide that.
I would bet anything that if Ben affleck was a conservative they NEVER would have took out the fact that his ancestors owned slaves, in fact they probably would have emphasized even more. More prof that the left wing media in this country is corrupt.

Last edited by 14Bricks; 04-19-2015 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 08:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
It relates to this section as PBS backed down. What a bunch of wusses!
It sounded like they were being respectful of his wishes, he could have easily said he wasn't doing the show.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,952,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So what if he did. Why do we care.
Why is he ashamed of his past, it's his grandfather's past, not his. Seems Affleck thinks his fans won't understand it wasn't Ben who owned slaves, you must know how confused the left gets things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Heck, Thomas Jefferson, who some think of as God, owned slaves.
He didn't try to rewrite it, as Affleck is doing!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,923 times
Rich white liberals and truth are a poor match, ergo he tried to get it removed.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,952,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Everyone on this forum has a slave owner in their family tree. Just not all of us have had it recently enough or in the right country to be documented.

<shrug>
Speak for yourself! I have went back in my family tree and my family comes from hard labor workers, since 1789........not one slave has shown up!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,236,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why is he ashamed of his past, it's his grandfather's past, not his. Seems Affleck thinks his fans won't understand it wasn't Ben who owned slaves, you must know how confused the left gets things.

He didn't try to rewrite it, as Affleck is doing!
Agree. Most people wouldn't have thought anything of it if he had openly admitted it. It's not his fault.

However, his efforts to cover it up with him being such an antiracism crusader raises an eyebrow. He's not very smart if he thought this information would never get out.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 AM

33,582 posts, read 18,193,881 times
I believe my ancestors were too poor to own a slave.. they were a slave for a dollar to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies