Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

I mean - that's so dumb to get that edited out. That's about all I can say. We really did not have a lot of control over what our ancestors did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because he didn't want it in the show. Why isn't Reality TV actually reality? Keeping Up With The Kardashians is a heavily edited show, just like this ancestry show is.
Are you really comparing reality TV to Public Broadcasting Service? Why so desperate to defend Affleck?

How do you respond to these quotes?

"To do this would be a violation of PBS rules, actually, even for Batman," Gates wrote.

"[T]hen it is tricky because it may get out that you made the change and it comes down to editorial integrity," Lynton emailed back.

"Once we open the door to censorship, we lose control of the brand," Gates wrote.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Are you really comparing reality TV to Public Broadcasting Service? Why so desperate to defend Affleck?

How do you respond to these quotes?

"To do this would be a violation of PBS rules, actually, even for Batman," Gates wrote.

"[T]hen it is tricky because it may get out that you made the change and it comes down to editorial integrity," Lynton emailed back.

"Once we open the door to censorship, we lose control of the brand," Gates wrote.
No, I am comparing reality tv to this ancestry show. I have seen it before, it is very edited and staged.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:08 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I am comparing reality tv to this ancestry show. I have seen it before, it is very edited and staged.

I noticed how you dodged the quotes regarding the ethics of this fiasco.

Now that they have compromised their supposed ethics to satisfy the petulant actor they will be seen as no better than a reality show.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I noticed how you dodged the quotes regarding the ethics of this fiasco.

Now that they have compromised their supposed ethics to satisfy the petulant actor they will be seen as no better than a reality show.
That is PBS's problem to deal with, if it is on television, then it is there for entertainment purposes. This show is an edited show that is completely staged. Not sure what you would expect out of a tv show.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
LOL limousine liberals think they have the same rights as politicians... lying about their family history.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Ben Affleck Pressured PBS to Edit Out Slave-Owning Grandfather in Ancestry Doc - Breitbart

I bet a lot of people have slave owners in their family if their ancestors are from the South. The celebrities who are on this show have a problem if they want to hide that.

Someone isn't aware that southerners weren't the only ones who owned slaves.

*Sigh*

Old 04-22-2015, 01:53 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Bottom line is that if my ancestors owned white slaves, I too would not see it as something to share beneficially with the public, as I would not be proud. Mr. Affleck is an actor and as long as he does a good job, his ancestors lives mean nothing to me. Sure we can learn from the past, but only if the subject and context are relevant to what we deal with currently.
Affleck is a hack actor and an even greater hack political activist.

It shows his cowardly PC intentions when he tries to hide the truth and rewrite/ignore his ancestral history because it would expose his hypocrisy about his Liberal ways when his family tree contains things he harps against.

The fact that his ancestor had slaves does not reflect at all on him, it's the way he tries to hide it and coerce PBS into hiding it, does.

WTF did he think a show about ancestors was about ????

Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Affleck is a hack actor and an even greater hack political activist.

It shows his cowardly PC intentions when he tries to hide the truth and rewrite/ignore his ancestral history because it would expose his hypocrisy about his Liberal ways when his family tree contains things he harps against.

The fact that his ancestor had slaves does not reflect at all on him, it's the way he tries to hide it and coerce PBS into hiding it, does.

WTF did he think a show about ancestors was about ????
Oh; it was THAT show? Jeez, Affleck IS a flaming fool since HE left himself "open" for anything AND tried to cover it up. Sucks to be you, Mr Affleck. It is what it is.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I don't think anybody in their right mind would blame old Benny for his ancestors owning slaves, its the fact that him and the media tried to cover it up.
This is the issue......his looks has nothing to do with it, sure helps him with getting a pass with the ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies