Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Soon you won't be able to call a rapist a rapist. A thief won't be called a thief all because someone takes offense to it.
Exactly.

Sorry, but I am not going to banish a perfectly acceptable word because the Neo-Bolsheviks and the Sharponistas are embarrassed that a large amount of African-Americans in Baltimore were behaving like....THUGS.

What else would you call a mob that torches businesses and beats innocent, unarmed people? Really, I would like to know.

The mob in Baltimore burned down subsidized housing for seniors among other things. They were so violent that the Governor had to send in the National Guard.

I will not participate in yet another exercise in Defining Deviancy Down. The criminals in Baltimore are Thugs. Even the President says so.

Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:07 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
The N word no longer means the N word...depending on who uses it?

And now thug is the N word? The "old" N word not the "new" N word?

I really have no interest in getting a daily memo telling me which words mean what on that day.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Don't act like thugs and you won't be called thugs. The vast majority of what people decry as "racism" now is simply criticism of bad behavior.
Exactly. If the shoe fits , wear it, regardless of color.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I would only have the issue if I wasn't a:
Criminal

Culprit

Miscreant

Offender

Delinquent

and for good measure, Thug

Slander sucks. I don't enjoy it, do you?
What do you call the people who were setting fires to shops and businesses, busting out windows, stealing and cutting fire hoses?

Let me guess - misunderstood.

The people who aren't concerned about being PC call them what they are thugs, criminals, trash, etc. etc.

If you don't want to be called a thug, don't act like a thug.

And if we are going to ban words when people use them wrong are attach them as labels to those who don't deserve, be prepared to start banning every negative word in our language.

Sorry if I don't recognize the authority of the PC police.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm starting to get the impression the word thug is being used as a specific designation for black people, up till now the word thug IMO covered a wide range of people from the local bully to mafia strong arm types to biker gang types and gangs in general. Seems the word is going the same way as the word gay which was a word when i was growing up that used to designate a happy disposition but has since been hijacked to mean any one homosexual. Calling some one a thug just because they are black is an unethical course of action that speaks to the general erosion of the moral fabric of America.
Because the media said so and you fell for it. That's on you.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:29 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm starting to get the impression the word thug is being used as a specific designation for black people, up till now the word thug IMO covered a wide range of people from the local bully to mafia strong arm types to biker gang types and gangs in general. Seems the word is going the same way as the word gay which was a word when i was growing up that used to designate a happy disposition but has since been hijacked to mean any one homosexual. Calling some one a thug just because they are black is an unethical course of action that speaks to the general erosion of the moral fabric of America.
I disagree that the word "thug" is being used for all black people. It describes any violent person who doesn't care about the rights of others. A few black people who meet that description have been getting recent headlines. On the other hand, I fully believe that calling homosexuals anything but homosexuals "speaks to the general erosion of the moral fabric of America".

Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
The first time I heard "Thug" being applied often, and I mean very often, was when I was on Facebook, and my friend (no longer a friend) who is a very strong Christian and Tea Party member, started posting photos of black men in her town that were arrested by the police. She kept writing on this kind of remarks on her posts, "Yeah, another thug has been caught." All the thugs were black. (This realization to me was before I had ever heard anyone think that it was being used in place of the "N' word.) I told her that that word was offensive to me. They are not Thugs. They have committed crimes, yes, but I explained that the word "Thug" was hateful. She disagreed with me, saying that she was not a racist. She claimed to be not racist when she posted about Paula Deen too and how horribly Deene was being treated and on and on to other cases.

We quit calling each other via phone, and the last time we talked, she said that she was "riding along in a police car to help them out." I keep wondering if she has ever seen a cop beat up a black man, and if so, what did she think?

I no longer have a Facebook page due to people like her. And I can't make myself pick up the phone to see how she is and don't really call her a true Christian.

And this country has become do divided and that is the way the government wants me; me against you. And much of the hate is spilled out on these pages on city-data. There is no coming together anymore. Maybe there never was. But I think there is a purpose it all this just as how Germany divided the Jews against everyone else.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 05-07-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I also think of someone working for "the mob" who does the dirty work.
Those aren't thugs, they are enforcers. The Mafia acts rationally(if not always ethically), thugs don't.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I explained that the word "Thug" was hateful.
No, thug is a word referring to a criminal.

Sounds like you should have defriended her because she was a racist, since she concentrated solely on black thugs.

I had to disassociate myself with one of my friends because his boyfriend kept dropping N-bombs and it made me very uncomfortable. BTW, he was an atheist.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Thug being racist has been debunked on other threads. Now we can argue whether or not thinking thug is racist IS racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies