Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars

rewritten to be more factually correct
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but many of them abuse the system

When you have generations of people who have been on welfare endlessly for decades they are abusing the system. I knew a few, some were my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 11:42 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
When I frequently see them sitting in the welfare office and most of the family has newer Iphones or tablet phones/Ipads then yes, one has to wonder.
because they WORK. I wouldnt buy an iphone because a house phone or prepaid is cheaper but they WORK for it.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:56 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you found out someone was on food stamps, SSI or unemployment.
Unemployment is not public assistance. Its insurance that you pay for in taxes.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:04 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
That's true, but we,all know that person who works just long enough to collect and then stays on UI until it runs out, taking far more than they ever put in.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:13 PM

Unemployment still has nothing to do with welfare/foodstamps. It is INSURANCE that you pay premiums for and that you are OWED in case you become employed.

Why would someone not collect their insurance benefit? That would be like not claiming a death benefit from a life insurance policy that someone has been paying for 20 years.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Employers pay for it, not the employee directly. Although you could say employees fund it indirectly through a reduction in wages.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Employers pay for it, not the employee directly. Although you could say employees fund it indirectly through a reduction in wages.
Yeah, so? employers also pay for employee health insurance.

The point is unemployment is not welfare or an entitlement.

If you become unemployed, you are OWED an unemployment insurance benefit. Its not freeloading.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's true, but we,all know that person who works just long enough to collect and then stays on UI until it runs out, taking far more than they ever put in.
I never knew anyone like that. Everyone I knew who was eligible for UI stupidly turned it down because it wasn't enough money to suit them. I was like what the??? it is to keep a roof over your head until you find a job. I'll never understand the mentality.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I never knew anyone like that. Everyone I knew who was eligible for UI stupidly turned it down because it wasn't enough money to suit them. I was like what the??? it is to keep a roof over your head until you find a job. I'll never understand the mentality.
Its because people don't understand the concept behind unemployment. They think its like welfare.

You're a fool if you become unemployed and don't claim your insurance benefit, it doesnt matter how little it is.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:59 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
Unemployment is NOT the same as assistance. Generally you have to work someplace 6mo+ and it has to be through no fault of your own. Its a % of your income/wages. There was one point we got just under $200/week for a family of 5, it was rough but we made it. You have to look for employment actively and turn in job applications plus go on ANY interviews or youre dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies