Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:02 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times

Advertisements

I can't say I actually hate them, but I have ZERO respect for them.

I supported myself through my entire adult life and believe me, I had some very tough times. When I was first out on my own, I and my roommate picked up pop bottles to cash in for money to buy food.

We laughed ourselves senseless. Life was good. I never considered any kind of handout. I'm not sure I even knew handouts existed. That was so long ago, maybe government handouts didn't exist. I remember when government cheese came along. Not sure how old I was at the time.

It just never would have happened for me to ask for help. I was raised better than that. I was capable, both mentally and physically, to make my own way. So I did. If I didn't have money for it, I did without. Period. I didn't even have a car 'til I was 24 or 25. I found an apartment within a few blocks from where I worked and I walked to work. Same for a TV. I was well into my mid to late 20s when I bought my first TV. I'm a better person for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 01:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I love all these folks bragging about how the always worked and never took a hand out. Well once upon a time in a place far, far away I worked as government sanctioned hired thug told to take away any guns the residents might have had. As the residents objected many of the guns were retrieved from dead people. Some of my associate thugs also became dead. Some job.

Another reason I want to see a decent welfare system around is I consider it a form of financial insurance if I ever need it. Well off today and broke tomorrow. Our rigged system is very good at that maneuver.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:21 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
because they WORK. I wouldnt buy an iphone because a house phone or prepaid is cheaper but they WORK for it.
Yeah-I hate the fact that many seem to completely ignore the working poor-it is only to fit their narrative.

Wal Mart and McDonald's-much more substantial leechers- are the two largest employers in the welfare system. They are two of many nationless corporations that underpay their workers, reduce hours in order to avoid offering health insurance, and teach their employees to apply for welfare to have the hijacked and corrupted US Government pick up the tab.

Most able bodied adults receiving Food Stamps WORK!
For cash assistance there are work/training/volunteering requirements about 20 hours per week.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:33 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Once again, a very poor poll. I could not check any of the boxes because my view is "I don't have a problem with those who actually need it," but then why did the OP add, "but most of them are liars?" I DON'T think most of of them are liars (or cheaters), although I do think that a great many of them have made some very poor choices in their lives.

I wish people who make up these polls would stop trying to add reasons for people's opinions. If people want to explain why they think a certain way, that is why there is the option to explain by commenting.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:45 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yeah, so? employers also pay for employee health insurance.

The point is unemployment is not welfare or an entitlement.

If you become unemployed, you are OWED an unemployment insurance benefit. Its not freeloading.
So you didn't pay for it =entitlement

Old 10-14-2016, 01:56 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you didn't pay for it =entitlement
Yes you do pay for it. Its part of the mystery money that comes out of your salary. Its insurance like any other kind.

Is workmans comp and health insurance an entitlement?

Old 10-14-2016, 02:00 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I love all these folks bragging about how the always worked and never took a hand out. Well once upon a time in a place far, far away I worked as government sanctioned hired thug told to take away any guns the residents might have had. As the residents objected many of the guns were retrieved from dead people. Some of my associate thugs also became dead. Some job.

Another reason I want to see a decent welfare system around is I consider it a form of financial insurance if I ever need it. Well off today and broke tomorrow. Our rigged system is very good at that maneuver.
lolol. I'll admit I choked as I tried to figure out what the hell you're talking about.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:06 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yes you do pay for it. Its part of the mystery money that comes out of your salary. Its insurance like any other kind.

Is workmans comp and health insurance an entitlement?
Where is it itemized on your check stub?

Old 10-14-2016, 02:21 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Lol, that was a,different type of job from mine, which was much safer. Except for the two terrorist attacks. But most of the time it was safer.

Good point about keeping the programs just in case you need them.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
because they WORK. I wouldnt buy an iphone because a house phone or prepaid is cheaper but they WORK for it.
Maybe yes, maybe no. What I was getting at was the decisions that were/are made that put them in that office or them adding to their lack of funds for basic needs.

Track phones,flip phones etc are way cheaper than the high end Iphone or tablet phones and actually do what is needed without all the fluff or "extras".
This would leave more $$$ for things like, you know, food,rent,clothes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies