Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I work as much as I can myself, but I don't work full time. I tried, but I was literally having meltdowns and panic attacks, and while I'm pretty "book smart" I am VERY slow at learning things like the laundry or putting together silverware. So I'm pretty much useless as an employee in places like restaurants and assisted living homes. I lasted longer as a cashier holding that job for nearly a year but they never gave me more than 5 hours a week!

I can more easily understand quantum mechanics than how to fold a sheet. My disability doesn't render me completely unable to work, but it does "price me out" of a lot of jobs to the point I need SSI to survive, especially in the state I live in where the job market is extremely competitive and you kind of have to take anything you can get.
Are you on the Autistic spectrum? Don't have to answer, as that was an invasive question. I just was wondering, based on your descriptions above. My son is borderline Aspergers, with meltdowns,etc., and I do know those who have that challenge really can struggle in the working world.

In such cases, I think it is a disability like any other, and I have a different attitude. I am glad you are doing what you can. That is all any of us can do.

Autism presents a relatively new challenge, as I think there are very many kids out there on the spectrum who will eventually struggle to place themselves in modern society. I wish them the very best, and glad to help as I can.

Regardless, the general cultural expectation to find how you can contribute and support yourself to the best of your ability, and to avoid passivity and self pity is essential to being a good citizen and having self respect, in my opinion. That culture of industry is also what places the USA, N. European, and E. Asian countries at the top of the world in productivity and life quality. Ok, now I am just moralizing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:29 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
They are selling drugs on the side. No way can somebody afford a nice car with the little they give you. As far as the clothes I mean, what do you expect them to wear rags? Haha. I mean if it's $100 jerseys yeah, I see what you are saying.
In order to qualify for EBT (food stamps) in most states, you can't have more than $2,000 in the bank. In many cases, you must earn less than $1,100 a month, (based on one person household--larger families, higher allowance).

So, if these folks are driving expensive cars, yet have barely any money in the bank (to qualify for EBT) and earning low wages (to qualify for EBT) , you have to figure... where are they getting all this money? I agree that they must/may be selling. Or, doing something to get all that extra money..... that they don't throw in the bank...

Unless a "rich uncle" dies every month.... .

..and that is how they have all that cash...

Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Silly poll.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
My answer to the poll: None of the above.

I think that there are many people on welfare who are decent and honest people, but I also think that many of these otherwise honest and decent people are able to work harder than they are - and that's because the system doesn't reward them for hard work that they are capable of doing.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
If you found out someone was on food stamps, SSI or unemployment, would your opinion on them change? Would it be similar to finding out they were a murderer, a rapist or a thief, or would you not really think any different of them? Let's say they never disclosed any disability or reason, but you had no reason to think they were cheating the system either.
no

Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,587 times
Public Assistance was meant to help people short term. I received Welfare back in the 70's after my husband and I divorced. He was no where to be found so the divorce was uncontested. I finally got a job and no longer needed to receive help. The problem today is people use it as a way of life. Their kids learn it... I am not sure today how well it is watched over. I do know there is a lot of fraud - and drugs involved often.

I do want to say there is a lot of poverty today. In California we actually have a lot of people living on the streets. Rents are SO HIGH. I was just checking to see what the rents were going for...$2000-3000 a month - That is OUTRAGEOUS. We have so many people on drugs - abusing alcohol - mentally ill - people who have lost their homes....California has changed so much. Very sad.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:03 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Only if they make it a career.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Public Assistance was meant to help people short term. I received Welfare back in the 70's after my husband and I divorced. He was no where to be found so the divorce was uncontested. I finally got a job and no longer needed to receive help. The problem today is people use it as a way of life. Their kids learn it... I am not sure today how well it is watched over. I do know there is a lot of fraud - and drugs involved often.

I do want to say there is a lot of poverty today. In California we actually have a lot of people living on the streets. Rents are SO HIGH. I was just checking to see what the rents were going for...$2000-3000 a month - That is OUTRAGEOUS. We have so many people on drugs - abusing alcohol - mentally ill - people who have lost their homes....California has changed so much. Very sad.
Why do you think California is so attractive to them? Answer: You give them stuff. You should watch the South Park (Colorado) episode where their solution to homelessness panhandling is to bus people to California.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You are counting "unemployment insurance" in this?? I hope you realize that people get UI because they were WRONGFULLY TERMINATED or LAID OFF. You know, something in control of the CORPORATION as opposed to the worker.

I'm surprised that you didn't go all out and add SSDI to your list. Lots of people "look down" on them too. Especially when you can't see their disability which is 90% of disabilities.

Fraud exists in any system. Those "scamming the system" are the exception as all of the statistics will tell you.
Thank you.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:44 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,325 times
The ones I have a beef with are the "single" moms who live with baby daddy as a family but since they are not married according to the state, she is able to receive all benefits offered by the government, even though the baby daddy works and makes enough money to support the family. This is rampant all over, including in my own family. This is why 50% of the people who have a baby together don't get married now-a-days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies