Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 11:50 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times

Advertisements

Yeah I hate myself but I'm not bothered by other people on public assistance. I'm sure they will get a good paying job eventually where they won't need it...can't say the same for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:36 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
I know a dozenish on public assistance.

1) It is a blatant myth that most of them eat steak every night. or any night.
2) It is a blatant myth that they live as well as someone earning [insert some value here around 70K]
3) They almost all do have WAY better phones than me with unlimited data.
4) The all drive crappy cars. mid 90s Camrys and oddly Saturns seem to turn up the most.
5) Seen a few Facebook pics of their rentals. Shabby but not messy or hoarderish.
6) Most work. PT because health insurance is a larger relative share vs the 10 bucks or so they make an hour and low pay full time with benefits is getting less and less common.
7) One, a former workmate, is a true loafer who works as little as possible. Spouts all sorts of right wing stuff oddly. Wife is a bar fly. Kids in trouble...

Probably more but that comes to my mind.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
unless you are a fly on the wall you never know what someones situation is
Yup. However, I do wonder what the hell our government is up to. We often ask for some kind of ID where I work and I'm astonished at the number of 12 year olds showing me their Benefits card with their picture on it. These kids can buy food and use it at ATM machines.

I don't begrudge anyone who genuinely needs assistance, but it's hard not to wonder what's really going on.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Yeah, I would include SSDI, just forgot about it. I have SSI myself for a disability that limits my ability to work and because I'm not physically crippled and have above average intelligence I do encounter a lot of judgment for it, even from my own family sometimes. But they could never really understand so I guess there's no point in taking it to heart too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I work as much as I can myself, but I don't work full time. I tried, but I was literally having meltdowns and panic attacks, and while I'm pretty "book smart" I am VERY slow at learning things like the laundry or putting together silverware. So I'm pretty much useless as an employee in places like restaurants and assisted living homes. I lasted longer as a cashier holding that job for nearly a year but they never gave me more than 5 hours a week!

I can more easily understand quantum mechanics than how to fold a sheet. My disability doesn't render me completely unable to work, but it does "price me out" of a lot of jobs to the point I need SSI to survive, especially in the state I live in where the job market is extremely competitive and you kind of have to take anything you can get.
These two do not seem to go together. There is a word for people who avoid work.

Your posts kind of remind my favorite book: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Old 10-05-2016, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Most beneficiaries are children who had the rotten luck of being born to people unable/ unwilling to take financial responsibility for them.

In 2010, 48%, about 1.9 million, of births were paid for by Medicaid. This tends to create a cycle of poverty, despair and ongoing dependence, in many cases 18 years of dependence.

The Medicaid birth rate varies state to state from a low of 25% in Hawaii to a high of 70% in Louisiana.
On the mainland, the number of Medicaid births generally correlates to the education attainment levels of state populations.

The rate of teen births has been declining and is now at rates not seen since WW2.

Birth parents are older, not necessarily more emotionally mature or able to take financial responsibility for their off spring.

I don't believe most people engage in unprotected sex to increase welfare benefits. The poorer the population the more likely the population will have more children all over the world, regardless of welfare.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yup. However, I do wonder what the hell our government is up to. We often ask for some kind of ID where I work and I'm astonished at the number of 12 year olds showing me their Benefits card with their picture on it. These kids can buy food and use it at ATM machines.

I don't begrudge anyone who genuinely needs assistance, but it's hard not to wonder what's really going on.
All welfare progs are administered by each state.

NY state issues photo ID EBT cards to 12 year olds?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
Yea

Old 10-05-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You are counting "unemployment insurance" in this?? I hope you realize that people get UI because they were WRONGFULLY TERMINATED or LAID OFF. You know, something in control of the CORPORATION as opposed to the worker.

I'm surprised that you didn't go all out and add SSDI to your list. Lots of people "look down" on them too. Especially when you can't see their disability which is 90% of disabilities.

Fraud exists in any system. Those "scamming the system" are the exception as all of the statistics will tell you.
Wrongfully terminated?

People get laid off for a variety of reasons including technology substitution, redundancy caused by mergers/ acquisistions, outsourcing, offshoring, business losses, corporate relocation and more.

Most states are Employment at Will.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:24 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Most of the slothful parasites seem nice enough when you meet them face to face, so did Nazis.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Often people forget that welfare (the cash portion called TANF) has a 5 year lifetime limit on receiving it. Like you I would prefer people who can work, to do so.
Federal Government block grants states. States have broad discretion to determine eligibility for TANF. Most states have a 60 month cap for the adult portion of the benefit.

There is no time cap on child- only benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies