Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:32 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times

Advertisements

I don't judge. I don't know that person's history so it's none of my business.

I just am thankful that I don't need welfare and hope I never do. There are lots of layoffs going on now and I know that I could be out of job tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I judge them, especially when they make poor life choices to get where they are and do nothing to improve their situation.

That is why I am a firm believer for all assistance sans independently verified by a doctor disability claims, to tapper off over time. No one should be on any government assistance program for more than 2 years. If you are on permanent disability you would also be required to complete some form of public good for a handful of hours a week (condition permitting) on a weekly basis. Be it meal on wheels, soup kitchens, or various other tasks where you can sit at a desk.

The above does not apply to social security or Medicare since they are being paid into throughout a lifetime.
Most beneficiaries are children. A 2 year old is not capable of self- support or community service.

Strictly from a financial standpoint, it would be cheaper to bribe those living at defined poverty levels to not have children than for the state to incur an 18 year obligation to feed, clothe, house, heat, cool , educate and provide healthcare for children.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most beneficiaries are children who had the rotten luck of being born to people unable/ unwilling to take financial responsibility for them.
No no no. These are all Hispanic immigrant kids with families. That's not a knock on our immigration system, just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

NY state issues photo ID EBT cards to 12 year olds?
That's what we wondered about, and by we I mean the employees of the library I work in. Supposedly you can't get one til your 18, but then you start wading through all the exceptions NY provides. (Please don't give me links showing I'm wrong...we know them all)

What we also see are the community organizers coming into the library and handing the Benefit cards out. They know the NY system inside out, they know everyone on every block in town, know every family and every child and what grade they're in. They get them benefits, healthcare, housing, jobs, ESL classes, college scholarships for the older kids, citizenship and get them to the polls. And they are very organized.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:41 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Do I hate crony banksters that bleed our country dry of TRILLIONS? Yes.

Do I hate ordinary poor Americans that are trying to feed their children? No, it's a drop in the bucket and morally incomparable. I've worked as a welfare caseworker for 5 years and the overwhelming majority truly need assistance-many are elderly and have worked their whole lives; others are children born into unlucky and unfortunate situations.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:51 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
I have no problem helping those who can't help themselves, or those who are going through a rough patch. I do have an issue with those who don't learn from past mistakes and keep having kids they can't afford. I also have an issue with those on welfare who don't spend the money as it is intended.
If you ever go shopping you can't help but notice some of these people load up on soda and junk food. I think welfare abuse is very real and poorly policed. I would rather see a workfare system in place. That way they earned the money they and owe society nothing.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
^There already is a work program for cash assistance.

Now with SNAP there is too (after 3 months) at least in PA.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
^There already is a work program for cash assistance.

Now with SNAP there is too (after 3 months) at least in PA.
Agreed, but with the exception of the truly disabled, I feel all recipients must be doing at least 20 hours a week community service.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:13 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
None of us are allowed to feed/clothe/shelter ourselves without permission from the State. The CEO of Phizer is only working the system as best he can...just like the guy on welfare.

Self-preservation is our strongest drive. The State brings out the worst in us.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Traditional Social security that everyone receives and ssdi are different even if ran by the same agency. You know that.

Actually I know a lot of people who died without ever receiving SS in their lifetime.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:26 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Do I hate crony banksters that bleed our country dry of TRILLIONS? Yes.

Do I hate ordinary poor Americans that are trying to feed their children? No, it's a drop in the bucket and morally incomparable. I've worked as a welfare caseworker for 5 years and the overwhelming majority truly need assistance-many are elderly and have worked their whole lives; others are children born into unlucky and unfortunate situations.
Do you give the money directly to the children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies