Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:40 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you found out someone was on food stamps, SSI or unemployment, would your opinion on them change? Would it be similar to finding out they were a murderer, a rapist or a thief, or would you not really think any different of them? Let's say they never disclosed any disability or reason, but you had no reason to think they were cheating the system either.

you asked the wrong question.

the question is how do we best help them.

according to Hillary's campaign Chair, it appears it is the left that hates them.

Republicans respect these people and want the best for them. That means creating an economy that will employ them instead of making them clients of the State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That doesn't make sense, lol. I'M the one saying what I said, and I've never been on welfare. As a matter of fact, I've never even been on unemployment. I have worked and paid my own way all my life, so I am one of the neighbors paying.

Do you really think that "greed" is the main reason people are on welfare? I think it's ignorance and cluelessness and in some cases just plain old bad luck. And yes, some people are social miscreants who just think the world owes them a living. They do exist, no doubt.

But it's not about them, which is the part I think you are missing. It's about the rest of us and who we are as a people and a country--do we let people go hungry because they are inept or stupid? I say no. I'm pretty sure you disagree with that, but that's the crux of the matter and the base of the disagreement between us. I don't like the fraud, either, and I wish more would be done about that.
I think you're greedy for making your neighbor pay for it (and in many cases paying more than you do)

Old 10-14-2016, 08:36 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think you're greedy for making your neighbor pay for it (and in many cases paying more than you do)
Doesn't really make sense. I'm not sure you understand what the word "greedy" means, and I'm not making anyone do anything. Whatever. Have a nice day.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have, after my business was scuttled by a regulatory change, been very close to needing assistance. I looked a public welfare and decide it was far too expensive to do more then investigate. I closed my business and found a crap job to survive. Eventually I found a good job and worked for the last 25 years at a decent but not great salary with a good pension and really good health insurance.

I still know a few people on assistance. They are not cheating anyone. That all people receiving public assistance are liars and cheats is one of the basic Alt-right myths. I also note that the RW never consider huge government tax breaks and even direct bailouts of the finance industry is just another form of public assistance but far more expensive and morally degrading then Food Stamps.
Most of the people I've known who were on public assistance were young mothers who used it temporarily until they got themselves together with a job and sometimes education. I realize there are mothers who never get off of it, but I haven't known them personally.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I believe they are smart honestly. Most should know by now that the game is rigged. Why not take advantage of it where you can?... the rich surely do... corporations do as well, so why not lower income individuals.

The only ones who fail to see this and honestly gets the short end of the stick is the working middle class. I just don't understand how people can demonize those who utilize or abuse public assistance, but then praise those who utilize and abuse the system to pay little to no taxes.
This is true. Everyone should get their piece of the pie, before it is realized that none is left.

Banksters and War Profiteers already gorged it all up, and destroyed the supplies needed to make any more.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
When I frequently see them sitting in the welfare office and most of the family has newer Iphones or tablet phones/Ipads then yes, one has to wonder.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:13 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Sorry banjo, I got my own chit to deal with to believe your bs. Our family all worked, paid taxes and now we can't get chit for our elderly mother, and dealing with the government bureaucracy is a nightmare all while we are all working to support ourselves. nope I'm all tapped out of sympathy.
I have no sympathy in that post. But it seems to prove my point; some folks do seem to be dimmer here than others. Of course, they can never see it in themselves. That's part of being dim.

I do feel sympathy for your mom, though. The bureaucratic paper work is always a nightmare, and it is always growing; ever medical advance comes with a fresh blizzard of it.

I hope she's all well settled now and happy. I'm in the same boat you are, pulling on the same oar.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
It's more about laziness than greed. Given the choice, a large segment of the handout seeking population would rather figure out how to game the system well enough to scrape by so they can hang out and do whatever they want all week rather than trudge off to work, be productive and work for a buck. Live and spend time in any large city long enough (New York, Chicago, etc) and not just in the wealthy parts where all the spoiled brats live and you'll see just how entrenched and pervasive this lifestyle is, and you'll grow to resent it.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's more about laziness than greed. Given the choice, a large segment of the handout seeking population would rather figure out how to game the system well enough to scrape by so they can hang out and do whatever they want all week rather than trudge off to work, be productive and work for a buck. Live and spend time in any large city long enough (New York, Chicago, etc) and not just in the wealthy parts where all the spoiled brats live and you'll see just how entrenched and pervasive this lifestyle is, and you'll grow to resent it.
But you can get past the resentment and move into acceptance that this segment of society exists. You don't have to like it. You can decide how much you will let it bother you. I'm fine with providing food to all Americans, criminal or crazy or anywhere in between. We have enough.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:41 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You do realize its based off INCOME right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies