Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you found out someone was on food stamps, SSI or unemployment, would your opinion on them change? Would it be similar to finding out they were a murderer, a rapist or a thief, or would you not really think any different of them? Let's say they never disclosed any disability or reason, but you had no reason to think they were cheating the system either.
SSI and unemployment should not be lumped with means-tested program such as food stamps. Thus did not participate in the poll. I don't have a problem with SSI, unemployment insurance or Medicare however I have a huge problem with programs like food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, EMTALA, Section 8 housing. I dislike those people but I dislike the politicians that enable these programs even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 06:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you found out someone was on food stamps, SSI or unemployment, would your opinion on them change? Would it be similar to finding out they were a murderer, a rapist or a thief, or would you not really think any different of them? Let's say they never disclosed any disability or reason, but you had no reason to think they were cheating the system either.
If the are on SSD and food stamps and section 8 and are riding around in a new Mercedes and wearing fur coats and have expensive jewelry then I don't like them. Otherwise I have no problem with those who are down on their luck or life took them in a direction where they need the help. If they are cheating the system it's wrong.

Food stamps feed 1 in 7 americans, that's a huge number. Blame the system that has not raised the minimum wage or taxed the rich fairly. Many working people qualify for food stamps, and many elderly people who are on Social Security also qualify. So if you hate the 50 million or so who are on food stamps, so be it.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I hope vets don't read these nasty threads as many are on assistance and welfare

Old 10-16-2016, 07:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
It only means those who accept it are no longer among the poor (if some ever were to begin with).

Public assistance by definition means you're no longer poor.
Um, no. Public assistance offers the bare minimum or less. I'm on SSD and work part time to make ends meet. SS allows this, because they are aware that they don't pay out enough money for people to pay their bills based on their benefits alone. I am very grateful for it, because my Medicare insurance is far better than any private pay plans I can get, and I can handle working part time, because my boss gives me a flexible schedule, lets me take days off if need be, and also allows me to take naps during the day. It's rare for a company to be that understanding. I will be off the entire month of November for shoulder surgery, and my company isn't giving me a hard time about that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I judge them, especially when they make poor life choices to get where they are and do nothing to improve their situation.

That is why I am a firm believer for all assistance sans independently verified by a doctor disability claims, to tapper off over time. No one should be on any government assistance program for more than 2 years. If you are on permanent disability you would also be required to complete some form of public good for a handful of hours a week (condition permitting) on a weekly basis
. Be it meal on wheels, soup kitchens, or various other tasks where you can sit at a desk.

The above does not apply to social security or Medicare since they are being paid into throughout a lifetime.
That's exactly what happens with disability recipients. I can't believe how many people judge disability recipients when they have no clue how the process works. Before you judge us, learn about it. Until then, you have no right to decide we don't deserve it, especially when you don't even know the people you're talking about. I have been on SSD since 2011 and I just went through an extremely thorough review process. I filled out a brief review form, they retrieved medical records from all my doctors, pharmacies, labs, and hospitals, then they sent me another 12 page review form with every question under the sun: what meds I was taking, my job, how I lived my days, how my disabilites affected me, when the disabilites originally started, along with a sheet that told me that if I didn't complete it, they would stop my benefits. After a 6 week breath holding period, the approved my benefits continuing.

As for my benefits ceasing after X amount of time, a fall from an escalator in 2001 caused all my medical issues, so my disabilities (and there are several, not just one) are PERMANENT. I can only hope that SS will continue to keep giving me benefits. It's not just the monies that I need, the Medicare health insurance is just as if not more important. Sure, there are people who commit fraud, but it's a lot harder to do that than you think. The SS approval process is rigorous. Many more deserving people get denied than the reverse.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:27 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Um, no. Public assistance offers the bare minimum or less. I'm on SSD and work part time to make ends meet. SS allows this, because they are aware that they don't pay out enough money for people to pay their bills based on their benefits alone. I am very grateful for it, because my Medicare insurance is far better than any private pay plans I can get, and I can handle working part time, because my boss gives me a flexible schedule, lets me take days off if need be, and also allows me to take naps during the day. It's rare for a company to be that understanding. I will be off the entire month of November for shoulder surgery, and my company isn't giving me a hard time about that either.

That's exactly what happens with disability recipients. I can't believe how many people judge disability recipients when they have no clue how the process works. Before you judge us, learn about it. Until then, you have no right to decide we don't deserve it, especially when you don't even know the people you're talking about. I have been on SSD since 2011 and I just went through an extremely thorough review process. I filled out a brief review form, they retrieved medical records from all my doctors, pharmacies, labs, and hospitals, then they sent me another 12 page review form with every question under the sun: what meds I was taking, my job, how I lived my days, how my disabilites affected me, when the disabilites originally started, along with a sheet that told me that if I didn't complete it, they would stop my benefits. After a 6 week breath holding period, the approved my benefits continuing.

As for my benefits ceasing after X amount of time, a fall from an escalator in 2001 caused all my medical issues, so my disabilities (and there are several, not just one) are PERMANENT. I can only hope that SS will continue to keep giving me benefits. It's not just the monies that I need, the Medicare health insurance is just as if not more important. Sure, there are people who commit fraud, but it's a lot harder to do that than you think. The SS approval process is rigorous. Many more deserving people get denied than the reverse.

Yes-9 times out of 10 in order to "scam" SSD a person would need a corrupt Doctor. Good luck finding one!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:44 AM

613 posts, read 463,767 times
I don't have a problem with it. It's very easy to judge others when everything is working for you. But know that not everyone has the same privileges as you. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Last edited by LoveMysterious; 10-16-2016 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-16-2016, 09:43 AM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacc View Post
SSI and unemployment should not be lumped with means-tested program such as food stamps. Thus did not participate in the poll. I don't have a problem with SSI, unemployment insurance or Medicare however I have a huge problem with programs like food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, EMTALA, Section 8 housing. I dislike those people but I dislike the politicians that enable these programs even more.
SSI is means tested. SSI is for the disabled who are deeply impoverished who haven't worked enough to pay into the system. It usually pays out less than the regular disability. Right now the maximum benefit is $733/month.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:30 PM

27 posts, read 18,641 times
I realize that I am replying to an old post here, but this subject is of great importance to me.

I live in Los Angeles County, and I receive SNAP (EBT, or food stamps). Every day, I work at least 14 hours, and I still do not earn enough money to pay for food every month. It hurts when I hear people call me "lazy" or "entitled," because I am not either of those.

I used to have a job that paid very well, but when my employer found out that I was on medication for depression, they waged a campaign to get me fired. They disliked people with mental health issues because they thought they were (or may become) "problems" for the company, and they didn't want to take a chance. For four years, I was bullied to the point where I developed PTSD, and eventually, they fired me. It really destroyed me, mentally and financially.

Now, I work from home doing medical transcription, a field for which I received training in college. However, I only made $8,000 in 2016, and I worked full-time all year! That's way below poverty level, by the way.

I tried to do everything right. I went to college. I had a good job. I was taking medicine for my depression; I wasn't ignoring my mental health issues by not being proactive. What else could I have done that I didn't already do?

It was a nightmare just trying to get SNAP. The Department of Social Services is very thorough in investigating how much you make, how much you pay for utilities and rent, etc. I don't see how anyone nowadays could possibly get around that in order to "cheat the system."

Four times a year, I have to give my social worker every single one of my paycheck stubs, utility bills, rent receipts, bank account statements, etc. so that I can continue to receive less than $100- in food benefits. Yep, I make less than $1000 a month, and I don't even get $100- a month to help with food.

If someone has found a way to cheat the system in order to get more benefits, they must truly be brilliant and conniving. It seems impossible to do so, in my opinion.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
I don't like those people who abuse this system - and I think there are quite a few of them.

I wish if there was a way to root out the abusers so this program could help only those who genuinely need it.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 AM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

My disabilities are all also permanent and have got worse since I was originally approved. They completed a review on me, acknowledge I still couldn't do previous work (which included desk jobs) but said I needed to "adapt" to something else and were cutting me off anyway. Just because you don't get better doesn't mean they won't cut you off anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies