Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I doubt it matters.

The "Romance" is in advocating something you know will never happen and probably do not want anyway.
The Romans, Mongols, Russians, Persians, Ottomans, and hegemons thought the same thing before their respective "empires" fell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
But to answer the question seriously, take a look at Puerto Rico.
Actually, situation in Puerto Rico is more indicative of the decline of the "American empire," not of the failure of a small, independent nation.

If the leaders of a independent Hawaiʻi were well-versed, they could choose to emulate the "Singapore model" of economic development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:11 AM

149 posts, read 187,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
I say, no problem. Just don't expect to be Ameicans, and no pension, SS or any other benefits. Sounds like a win-win for the USA.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The Romans, Mongols, Russians, Persians, Ottomans, and hegemons thought the same thing before their respective "empires" fell.

Actually, situation in Puerto Rico is more indicative of the decline of the "American empire," not of the failure of a small, independent nation.

If the leaders of a independent Hawaiʻi were well-versed, they could choose to emulate the "Singapore model" of economic development.
Puerto Rico's problem is not a status problem ... it's a spending problem.

Furthermore most people who support independence in Hawaii and Puerto Rico are not well versed ... that's why they are separatists. They have fairy tale delusions of romantic dreams, not logic.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
When I read that native Hawaiians (Polynesians) drove off the people who were originally there (a native race of dimunitive stature according to their only folklore) only a few hundred years before the blue eyed devils showed up, I found their claim to it as "their" land to be suspect just as much as it belongs to the United States. What difference is 50 years or 500 years? The current natives have not been on that land for 1,000's of years either.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
I say, no problem. Just don't expect to be Ameicans, and no pension, SS or any other benefits. Sounds like a win-win for the USA.
Win is the Native Hawaiian Kingdom. Lose is the Industrial Military Complex. I hope you understand the Korporate United States Of Amerika cannot afford to pay its bills. especially big bill called military spending.

how is my pension tied to the US? clue... its not. If you taking the ponzi scheme call Social Security it aint going to happen thats insolvent...

FYI most people have a 401k and thats tied to the stock market. Again when the US economy tanks, I will be sayings its a win win situation!!! wall street wins and the US.

Once the US leaves they can pay for the clean up of all the military instalation that they polluted as well as cleaning up the Depleted Uranium. After thats done we can rent the bases out to Russia? or any one who will pay fair market value.

Win win I agree HKG will be the bigger winner..

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-06-2015 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
When I read that native Hawaiians (Polynesians) drove off the people who were originally there (a native race of dimunitive stature according to their only folklore) only a few hundred years before the blue eyed devils showed up, I found their claim to it as "their" land to be suspect just as much as it belongs to the United States. What difference is 50 years or 500 years? The current natives have not been on that land for 1,000's of years either.
can you tell me when and who drove who off?? source?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:50 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Puerto Rico's problem is not a status problem ... it's a spending problem.
While it's intellectually simplistic to view Puerto Rico's current fiscal crisis as a mere "spending problem," it's actually a "status problem."
Puerto Rico Is Doomed, and It's Our Fault | Mother Jones
Tax Policy Helped Create Puerto Rico’s Fiscal Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Furthermore most people who support independence in Hawaii and Puerto Rico are not well versed ... that's why they are separatists. They have fairy tale delusions of romantic dreams, not logic.
If that's the case, quite a few professors at the University of Hawaiʻi and the University of Puerto Rico (Universidad de Puerto Rico) shouldn't be teaching law, history, and political science. While some individuals that lump together Hawaiian independence supporters and Puerto Rican independence supporters aren't particularly "well-versed," thereʻs little correlation between being "well-versed" and being a "separatist."

Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
I am familiar with what and why Hawaii wants the US out... there is no Treaty of annexation. anyone have anything first hand on Alaska?

​Native peoples' group seeks end to 'US occupation' of Alaska, Hawaii — RT USA
yeah good luck with that, bunch of morons

Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
can you tell me when and who drove who off?? source?

From Wikipedia:

Origins

One hypothesis is that the first Polynesians arrived in Hawaiʻi in the 3rd century from the Marquesas and were followed by Tahitians in AD 1300, who conquered the original inhabitants. Another is that a single, extended period of settlement populated the islands.[SIZE=2][7][/SIZE]
Evidence for a Tahitian conquest of the islands include the legends of Hawaiʻiloa and the navigator-priest Paʻao, who is said to have made a voyage between Hawaiʻi and the island of "Kahiki" (Tahiti) and introduced many customs. Early historians, Fornander and Beckwith, subscribed to this Tahitian invasion theory, but later historians, such as Kirch, do not mention it.[SIZE=2][citation needed] [/SIZE]King Kalakaua claims that Paʻao was from the South Pacific.
Some writers[SIZE=2][which?] claim that other settlers in Hawaiʻi were forced back into remote valleys by newer arrivals. They claim that stories about the [/SIZE]Menehune, little people who built heiau and fishponds, prove the existence of ancient peoples who settled the islands before the Hawaiian

So evidence points to arrival of the current Hawaiians are most likely Tahitians who arrived in 1300...so 1300 is more significant than the 1700's or 1959 in what way? The difference is a blip on the radar.

Of course, Wikipedia is anti-Hawaiian propaganda dreamed up by the white man to make Hawaiians claims of thousands of years on the islands seem exaggerated.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM

13,652 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

LOL! Hawaii like Singapore? Yea sure...

But please, go ahead and go your own way. I have no problem with it.

Too bad 97.5% of Hawaiian residents do have a problem with it, but well ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies